[comp.sys.atari.st] sundog

dmk2@homxc.ATT.COM (D.KUSTER) (01/30/89)

I am currently trying to finish SUNDOG and i've run into a snag.  Maybe
someone on the net could offer some advice.  I've completed all but the
last phase, and the only thing I'm don't have is the last unit of
cryogens.  I'm guessing that these cryogens are on the one planet
in the Enlie system (this is the system that is always "beyond maximum
warp") because I've visited all the other systems.

		(1) how do i get the last cryogens?
		(2) how do i get to the Enlie system?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dan k.
att!homxc!dmk2

achowe@tiger.waterloo.edu (CrackerJack) (02/01/89)

>I am currently trying to finish SUNDOG and i've run into a snag.  Maybe
>someone on the net could offer some advice.  I've completed all but the
>last phase, and the only thing I'm don't have is the last unit of
>cryogens.  I'm guessing that these cryogens are on the one planet
>in the Enlie system (this is the system that is always "beyond maximum
>warp") because I've visited all the other systems.
>
>		(1) how do i get the last cryogens?
>		(2) how do i get to the Enlie system?

Do you have lots and lost of money? Have you visited the starport at
the colony? Is your ship in good repair? Do you have several de-cloakers
and concentrators installed? Good luck.

- Ant
--
   achowe@tiger.waterloo.edu      |  "Murdered by pirates is good."
 __                    _          |    - The Princess Bride (movie)

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (02/02/89)

in article <5253@homxc.ATT.COM>, dmk2@homxc.ATT.COM (D.KUSTER) says:

> I am currently trying to finish SUNDOG and i've run into a snag.  Maybe
> someone on the net could offer some advice.  I've completed all but the
> last phase, and the only thing I'm don't have is the last unit of
> cryogens.  I'm guessing that these cryogens are on the one planet
> in the Enlie system (this is the system that is always "beyond maximum
> warp") because I've visited all the other systems.
>
> 		(1) how do i get the last cryogens?
> 		(2) how do i get to the Enlie system?

It has been a while since I last played that game, but if I remember
correctly the last Cryogens are infact on that one planet out of normal
reach.

The solution is simple <GRIN>, you need a better warp system for your
ship in order to cross the gap.

found at either a bar or a repair shop (I can't remember where I got mine,
I think it was a repair shop).

Dan

chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Chuck Schul) (03/27/91)

what the hell is that game about???????
----
ProLine:  chuckie@pro-odyssey
Internet: chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie@nosc.mil

whitcomb@aurs01.UUCP (Jonathan Whitcomb) (03/29/91)

In article <8217@crash.cts.com> chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Chuck Schul) writes:
>what the hell is that game about???????

Sundog is my all time favorite game for the ST.  It is an early effort from
FTL (their first?), the folks that brought you Dungeon Master and Oids.

As the game starts, you have been released from indentured service in
the Mines, being told that you have inherited a space ship from a
distant uncle, who you've never heard of.  Unfortunately, you have
also inherited his contract to build a city on a distant planet.  If
you want the ship, you have to complete the contract.

You start out on the planet where the new city will be, and your
first task is to find the city's site.  Upon finding it, you will
be given a list of materials that you need to bring from other
cities, including Cyrogens...frozen workers who will build the
city.  In early levels you can find most of what you need on your
base planet, but as the game progresses, you have to explore other
worlds in other solar systems.

The game has lots of elements.  You have to keep your ship properly
outfitted with components.  These components often get damaged as
Pirates try to steal your cargo in interplanetary travel.  Locally,
various cities offer specialized goods, such as hand weapons (which
you need to ward off muggers), "custom" components for your ship,
illegal drugs (which you can experiment with or sell for profit...
or ignore completely) and so on.

There are lots of ways to play the game, but I don't want to give too
much away.  You must be a savvy negotiator to get good prices on
contraband, a good businessman to get the proper supplies for your
city and still make a profit, a good navigator to judge when the
best times to visit other star systems, a good fighter to survive
your bouts with the pirates, and a lucky SOB to survive to win!

All of the worlds have their own personalities, and half the fun
is exploring them.

Considering that you can find this game CHEAP these days, you should
really check it out...and resist the temptation of reading the
cheat files that are around (they not only defeat the purpose of the
game, but are also just WRONG about several things).  The fun in this
game is not just in winning it, but experiencing the extremely
detailed universe that has been created for you.
Jonathan Whitcomb                    UUCP: <whitcomb%aurgate@mcnc.org>
Alcatel Network Systems, Raleigh, NC                    Delphi: JBWHIT

jg@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Joe Gilray) (04/02/91)

What are the system requirements for Sundog?  RAM?  color?  Etc.

Thanks

-Joe Gilray

boblu@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Robert Luneski) (04/04/91)

In article <4450001@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> jg@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Joe Gilray) writes:

>What are the system requirements for Sundog?  RAM?  color?  Etc.

Sundog runs on any color ST.  It is one of the true lost classics.
A really great game!

  Bob Luneski          boblu@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM           Genie: B.LUNESKI1

  The opinions expressed herein are my own and in no way reflect the
  opinions of Tektronix, Inc.

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (04/05/91)

In article <7543@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM> boblu@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Robert Luneski) writes:
>Sundog runs on any color ST.  It is one of the true lost classics.
>A really great game!

Apropos the original question, I run it on one of the earliest 520 STs, no
expansions.  So should run on anything with a color screen.

Apropos Robert's comment, I personally found it tediously slow, after a
while.  Was cute at first, but after a while the realism-effects begin
to feel like annoying time-wasters.  Like, I want to buy a new X-coil,
so I go to the parts shop, and then have to sit around twiddling my
thumbs while the salesman waits on everyone else in the shop first.
If I want to wait in lines, I don't need a computer game to help me out.

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132

chuckie@pro-odyssey1.cts.com (Chuck Schul) (04/08/91)

what is sun dog about again????
----
ProLine:  chuckie@pro-odyssey
Internet: chuckie@pro-odyssey1.cts.com

R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com (04/10/91)

In Article: <7543@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM>
	boblu@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Robert Luneski) writes...
>In article <4450001@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> jg@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Joe Gilray) writes:
>>
>>What are the system requirements for Sundog?  RAM?  color?  Etc.
>>

>Sundog runs on any color ST.  It is one of the true lost classics.
>A really great game!

An interesting bit of trivia on Sundog is that it was originally written
for the Apple ][ (I saw it many years ago at the West Coast Computer Faire
in San Fran.). Sundog was written in UCSD Pascal.

I thought it was a fantastic game on the Apple ][... grabbed it instantly
when I found that there was an ST version. Don't think I'll ever FINISH it
though, but its interesting to explore all those worlds!

                                        R. Tim Coslet

Usenet: R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com             BIX:    r.tim_coslet
California could REALLY use 40 days and 40 nights of rain right now!

chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Chuck Schul) (04/26/91)

what is this game about?is it good?
----
ProLine:  chuckie@pro-odyssey
Internet: chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie@nosc.mil

Lutz_Frank@ac2.maus.de (Lutz Frank) (05/03/91)

Hi !

... do you mean "Sundog" - released by FTL ? (the same people later released
Dungeon Master). It's a sort of a space trade adventure. A little bit like
"Star Trek" but has a better story.
It is today a little bit oldfashioned - but I liked it very much.

Kind regards
            Lutz