[comp.sys.atari.st] HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lutz_Frank@ac2.maus.de (Lutz Frank) (05/02/91)

Hi Jeffery,

jd> Atari Megafile 30 in partition D have become invisible. The problem
jd> started when I was using Cheetah to copy some files from logical drive E
jd> to D. For one copy it either said that it couldn't find the drive path

I got the same problem using CHEETAH on BGM-partitions of my harddisk.
There I could only save one of the BGM-partitions. Cheetah destroyed the
root sector of the destination hard disk.
If you have a monitor like DISKUS you can try to restore the root-sector.
(I didn't have had this programm at this time - I lost all since last
backup ... ;-( ). Now I have a collection of copies of my root sectors on
a special disk - just for case of emergency ...

Kind regards
             Lutz

Mick_Schmidt@hb.maus.de (Mick Schmidt) (05/03/91)

LF>jd> Atari Megafile 30 in partition D have become invisible. The problem

LF>I got the same problem using CHEETAH on BGM-partitions of my harddisk.
LF>There I could only save one of the BGM-partitions. Cheetah destroyed the
LF>root sector of the destination hard disk.

Hmm, somebody mentioned somewhere [;-)] that CHEETAH only works with ICD BGM
Partitions.

Hmm, let's see if I can find the Docs ...

Yep, here we go:

>  BGM Compatibility: Cheetah now supports ICD's new BGM format for both
>    source and destination drives. A different aglorithm had to be
>    developed to support the non standard cluster sizes. This new routine
>    optimizes the files as the are being copied. The new copy method can
>    also be selected to be used when copying between standard partitions.
>    Progress is also displayed during the copy.

So, it doesn't say it won't work with Atari BGM Partitions but it says it
supports ICD's format which seems not to be the same as the Atari format.

G'day Mick

harryk@bucsf.bu.edu (Harry Karayiannis) (05/04/91)

In article <4627@ac2.maus.de> Lutz_Frank@ac2.maus.de (Lutz Frank) writes:

>Hi Jeffery,
>
>jd> Atari Megafile 30 in partition D have become invisible. The problem
>jd> started when I was using Cheetah to copy some files from logical drive E
>jd> to D. For one copy it either said that it couldn't find the drive path
>
>I got the same problem using CHEETAH on BGM-partitions of my harddisk.
>There I could only save one of the BGM-partitions. Cheetah destroyed the
>root sector of the destination hard disk.
>If you have a monitor like DISKUS you can try to restore the root-sector.
>(I didn't have had this programm at this time - I lost all since last
>backup ... ;-( ). Now I have a collection of copies of my root sectors on
>a special disk - just for case of emergency ...
>
>Kind regards
>             Lutz

	My guess is that you reach the 40-folder limit while copying stuff
from one partition to another...If this is the case, then there are 3 solutions
I know of:

	1. fldrXXX   it's an auto-folder program that lets you specify the
		     number of folders you can "touch" without problem, by
		     replacing XXX in the filename with the actual number.
		     (i.e. to have a 100-folder limit, just rename the program
		      to    fldr100.prg)  --- I think the program is PD and
		                              is on atari.archive

	2. flushing buffers
		     there are some programs, like LGSELECT.PRG by Johnson,
		     that let you **flush** the buffer that is keeping the
		     accessed folders     --- I also thing that LGSELECT.PRG
					      is SHAREWARE, and it should be
					      on atari.archive, too

	3. the little white button at the back of your computer, called "Reset"
	   This one always works. 8*)     --- This one is for FREE, guaranteed
					      to work, and right in your own
					      home.

  Please note that I have a Mega 4, with TOS 1.2 in ROM, so I don't know if
the above methods will work on STs with different ROMs and/or configurations

			     Harry Karayiannis          Post:
      ||   |#   ||					  15 N.Beacon, #316
     |#|  ||#|  |#|	     Boston University		  Allston, MA 02134
     |#|  ||#|  |#|	     Computer Science Dpt.	  U.S.A.
   ////   ||||   \\\\	     % fortune -o	       |  harryk@bucsf.bu.edu
 /////    ||||    \\\\\	     "Hackers do it with       |BITnet:
///// ATARI ST     \\\\\      fewer instructions"      |  cscrzcc@buacca.bu.edu