[comp.sys.atari.st] ST GEM-based Word Processors

mrt7455@evtprp0b.UUCP (Michael R Tucker) (04/23/91)

     I have a question about ST word processors.  I would
like to know what is considered the easiest *GEM* word
processor to use.  I am thinking that it has to have easy
mouse-based point-and-click cursor location, cut, paste,
delete, and move operations.  I don't need a document
processor or a desktop publisher, just something easy to
learn and use.  Send me e-mail and I will summarize for
anyone else who wants to know.

Michael Tucker                                   Boeing Computer Services
(206) 342-6168                                   M/S 04-EU  P.O.Box 24346
...uunet!bcstec!evtprp0b!mrt7455                 Seattle, Washington
                                                 98124-0346
--
Michael Tucker                                   Boeing Computer Services
(206) 342-6168                                   M/S 03-87  P.O.Box 24346
...uunet!bcstec!evtprp0b!mrt7455                 Seattle, Washington
                                                 98124-0346

rsl@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (Russell S. Laderer) (04/24/91)

Tried to email, but it bounced.

I have been using WordWriter ST by Timeworks for about 2 years,
and think it is very easy to learn.  It has most of the
functionality you could want from a basic wp, and it did not
cost me much (on sale, $49).

Scott Laderer

fh@well.sf.ca.us (Fabian Hahn) (05/02/91)

mrt7455@evtprp0b.UUCP (Michael R Tucker) writes:

>     I have a question about ST word processors.  I would
>like to know what is considered the easiest *GEM* word
>processor to use.  I am thinking that it has to have easy
>mouse-based point-and-click cursor location, cut, paste,
>delete, and move operations.  I don't need a document
>processor or a desktop publisher, just something easy to
>learn and use.

Michael:

Even though you mentioned that you do not need a document processor
I would like to use the opportunity to plug Wordflair II. I use
Wordflair II for all my text processing on the Atari (the reason for that
is that I have written some parts of it).

Anyway, it has all the features I need in a basic word processor like
tabs, indents, hyphenation, spell-checker, and automatic page numbering.

I get all this with decent looking output (yes it works great with FSM)
and once in a while when I do want to import a graphic or mail-merge a letter
to a couple of addresses I can do so without having to set up a new
program, convert formats and mess around with printer-drivers.

I think you should check out Wordflair II.  If you would like more
information send me a note or give me a call at

	Goldleaf Publishing, Inc
	700 Larkspur Landing Circle #199
	Larkspur, Ca 94939
	415/243-9605

Fabian

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (05/02/91)

In article <24554@well.sf.ca.us> fh@well.sf.ca.us (Fabian Hahn) writes:

>Even though you mentioned that you do not need a document processor
>I would like to use the opportunity to plug Wordflair II. I use
>Wordflair II for all my text processing on the Atari (the reason for that
>is that I have written some parts of it).

Aw, gee whiz, juuuust a little bias here. :^)  But at least you told us.

>I get all this with decent looking output (yes it works great with FSM)

All righty, now, does it come with FSM GDOS?  If not, how do we get it?
If not, we still get to use crummy ol' GDOS until Atari decides to release
FSM GDOS?

BTW, does FSM GDOS work as a direct replacement to GDOS, like G+Plus, or
do the programs which currently run GDOS, have to be modified to look for
FSM?

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261

SYSPMZT@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (05/04/91)

In article <1991Apr24.124220.23028@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, rsl@aplpy.jhuapl.edu
(Russell S. Laderer) says:

>I have been using WordWriter ST by Timeworks for about 2 years,
>and think it is very easy to learn.  It has most of the
>functionality you could want from a basic wp, and it did not
>cost me much (on sale, $49).

I used WordWriter several years ago, and like many of the ST word
processors of the time, the character buffering seemed very annoying.
At times I had type ahead, then it would go away, and just didn't
flow very nicely.  Someone had told me that this had to do with the
architecture of the keyboard interface.

Is this still true, or was it ever an accurate description of the
way these things work?  I have a very old 1040, and plan to buy a
new 1040 STe within the next month; will this change things?

Phil Z

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May02.162554.6779@ecst.csuchico.edu>, ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
> BTW, does FSM GDOS work as a direct replacement to GDOS, like G+Plus, or
> do the programs which currently run GDOS, have to be modified to look for
> FSM?

What I heard is that it has a desk acc that makes it act like the old GDOS
for old programs, so you can use it with all your old GDOS prgs.

Ryan 'Gozar' Collins 	  Question for MAC Users:      rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
  / || \  The Price!!	    MAC HFS floppy disk?       R.COLLINS1 on GEnie

fh@well.sf.ca.us (Fabian Hahn) (05/05/91)

[... Wordflair II plug ...]

>All righty, now, does it come with FSM GDOS?  If not, how do we get it?
>If not, we still get to use crummy ol' GDOS until Atari decides to release
>FSM GDOS?

>BTW, does FSM GDOS work as a direct replacement to GDOS, like G+Plus, or
>do the programs which currently run GDOS, have to be modified to look for
>FSM?

No - yes - depends.

Goldleaf will supply FSM as soon as it is realeased by ATARI.
The price will be mostly to cover the licensing fee for fonts that will be
included with the FSM package.

In theory GDOS applications should work just fine with FSM, there
is a 'compatibility mode' in which you define the fonts and sizes you want
to use and FSM will precompute them so they act just like bitmaped fonts.

We have made some changes to Wordflair II to allow direct access to all
fonts and sizes (up to 999 point) as well as some display improvements
that are possible with FSM.

My guess is that you will see new versions of GDOS applications that
make use of the features of FSM GDOS.

Fabian

rsl@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (Russell S. Laderer) (05/06/91)

Phil said:

>>I used WordWriter several years ago, and like many of the ST word
>>processors of the time, the character buffering seemed very annoying.
>>At times I had type ahead, then it would go away, and just didn't
>>flow very nicely.  Someone had told me that this had to do with the
>>architecture of the keyboard interface.

>>Is this still true, or was it ever an accurate description of the
>>way these things work?  I have a very old 1040, and plan to buy a
>>new 1040 STe within the next month; will this change things?

Well, I don't know about the STe, but I never really had a problem
with character buffering (I type about 50 wpm).  However, this does
remind me of a couple annoying features.

1) Related to character buffering, if you hit two or more <RETURN>s
quickly, it won't register some of them. (Never had this problem with
characters though, so I don't know why this happens.

2) Clicking on the Down/Up scroll arrow, it isn't automatic.  You must
click once for each line to move.  Needless to say, I never use this,
I use the slide for scrolling.

Scott Laderer

To: SYSPMZT@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com
Subject: Re: ST GEM-based Word Processors