[comp.sys.atari.st] KAOS TOS 1.4

ggranger@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Greg Granger) (04/24/91)

If anybody in Europe has the KAOS TOS 1.4 fix files, it would be greatly
appreciated if they could upload them to atari.archive.umich.edu.  Talk
has been buzzing across the pond here in North America about KAOS TOS (in
the FoReM & ///Turbo x-nets), and many people would like to get these fix
files for TOS 1.4.

BTW, what kind of bugs were fixed in KAOS TOS 1.4 that makes it so much
better than the regular TOS 1.4?

Greg Granger

| INet:  ersys!ggranger@nro.cs.athabascau.ca           |
| Fnet:  Greg Granger (Node 532) Dark Knight (Node 595)|
| Post:  5906-188 Street  Edmonton, AB  Canada T6M-2A9 |
| Tele:  +1 403 481-0803  OR  +1 403 481-5110          |

Greg Granger             ersys!ggranger@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian F. Reschke) (04/25/91)

First of all: who said that KAOS 1.4.2 is so much better than TOS 1.04?

BTW: KAOS 1.4.2 is copyrighted and costs 69.- DM. Besides, it needs the
original GERMAN TOS 1.04 ROM set to produce the EPROM files.

micro@imada.dk (Klaus Pedersen) (04/25/91)

ersys!ggranger@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Greg Granger) writes:

>BTW, what kind of bugs were fixed in KAOS TOS 1.4 that makes it so much
>better than the regular TOS 1.4?

Grow and Shrink boxes have been removed, and the code that forces a redraw
of the window when it have been sized, also have been removed...
(therefor it isn't compatible with programs that uses fixed sized windows,
eg a window that is limited in the lower right-hand corner).

The program is NOT PD or SHAREWARE, you buy it as a upgrade to TOS1.04 on
disc. On the disc is a program that modifyes the TOS in rom and saves the
patched code on disc, ready for the Eprom-programmer...
Price is around 89 DM.

-Klaus.

wolf@fb14vax.sbsvax.uucp (Wolfgang Huwig) (04/27/91)

In article <91115.122751ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET> ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian F. Reschke) writes:

>First of all: who said that KAOS 1.4.2 is so much better than TOS 1.04?

I guess, at least two, namely the developers :-)
But seriously, aren't there still some deficiencies which could be cured
in TOS 1.4 (B.t.w. why 1.04?)? And why is KAOS praised to be the ultimate
TOS 1.4 patch, which is my impression while looking at some reviews in
german magazines? Two arguments I would accept are:
- improvements are mainly marginal
- degree of incompatibility is to high.
Any advice is appreciated.
Latest news (I know of): there's no EPROM service at the time, due to
licence problems.

Wolfgang

| Wolfgang Huwig    |   intelligent    | FB 14 Informatik IV         |
+ CS Dept./AI Lab   |      remark      | Universitaet des Saarlandes |
| wolf@cs.uni-sb.de |    goes here     | D-6600 Saarbruecken 11      |
+-----------------------------+--------------------------------------+

Robert_Osten@hb2.maus.de (Robert Osten) (04/29/91)

Greg Granger ersys!ggranger%nro.cs.athabascau.ca  at Mi, 24.04.91 13:20 in
ATARI.SUB:

>If anybody in Europe has the KAOS TOS 1.4 fix files, it would be greatly
>appreciated if they could upload them to atari.archive.umich.edu.  Talk
>has been buzzing across the pond here in North America about KAOS TOS (in
>the FoReM & ///Turbo x-nets), and many people would like to get these fix
>files for TOS 1.4.

First I have to point out that the 'KAOS 1.4.2'-Fixes are copyrighted. So an
upload to atari.archive is illegal !

>BTW, what kind of bugs were fixed in KAOS TOS 1.4 that makes it so much
>better than the regular TOS 1.4?

I don't really not what bugs were fixed but I know that KAOS sometimes sends
different result codes - compaired to TOS 1.04. So if you'd have any problems
with other programs you can't claim any support services, especially from ATARI
!

Robert

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (05/07/91)

Robert_Osten@hb2.maus.de (Robert Osten) writes:
>First I have to point out that the 'KAOS 1.4.2'-Fixes are copyrighted. So an
>upload to atari.archive is illegal !

That's a laugh!  This kind of thinking doesn't seem to have occurred to the
KAOS people.  I believe it is a derivative of a copyrighted work, and
therefore an infringement of Atari's copyright on TOS.

>So if you'd have any problems
>with other programs you can't claim any support services, especially
>from ATARI!

Correct.  You can't expect support from Atari if you're using a non-Atari,
illegally-derived operating system.  It is also the case that, in general,
trouble with "other programs" should be handled by the other programs'
manufacturers, not by Atari.