[comp.sys.atari.st] CodeHead Software Util.s

Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com (05/02/91)

Just happened to realize that I can't remember ever seeing a reference to
any of the CodeHead Software utilities here on Usenet. They are commercial
but in my opinion the comprise the finest utility software available for
ST/TT line. For a long time I have used Norton Utilities on the IBM and the
Mac and have gained a lot of respect for these products of Peter Norton.
The CodeHead stuff has been close, but the latest update of Maxifle has
forged ahead and is now better than either version of Pete's work. Maxifile
III combines elements of IBM and Mac versions, with toggleable source and
destination windows, filters, fastfind withe a function key running your
choice of the found files. Automatic viewing of text files, etc.

When you combine this with CoKeys macros, Little Green File selector, and
MultiDesk, you have a whole system that has kept me from seeing the desktop
for a LONG time. The more you know the more useful these utls get, with
command lines and abilitiy to chain files and programs, install apps, have
global menu items in Hotwire which are maintained the same while the rest
of the menu changes, etc., etc. This is _good_ software, at a reasonable
price, with _outstanding_ developer support, aftersale.

No I have connection with them except to think that C.F.Johnson and John
Eidsvoog are great guys, and I love their software.

Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com
D.FLORY,  A.L.E.R.T. Sys*Cop on GEnie

whitcomb@aurs01.UUCP (Jonathan Whitcomb) (05/04/91)

In article <41916@cup.portal.com> Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com writes:
>Just happened to realize that I can't remember ever seeing a reference to
>any of the CodeHead Software utilities here on Usenet.

Gee, I feel invisible! :^)

>They are commercial but in my opinion the comprise the finest utility
>software available for ST/TT line.

Agreed.

[High praise for Maxifile, HotWire, Multidesk, and Codekeys nuked]

I use these (except Codekeys), as well as the Utilities package and
Lookit.  Additionally, I use much of the affiliated shareware and
freeware they've put out (and have even registered for it!).  It's
great the way that these programs work with each other.  Now I have
access to Maxifile from any program that uses the file selector,
thanks to the Little Green File Selector.  I find myself using
Arc Shell far more often than DC's Xtractor+.

The down side is that I think some of the programs are growing out
of control.  A very healthy chunk of my RAM is used by Codehead stuff.
I like most of the features, but I'm starting to wonder if they are
worth all the RAM they soak up.  Maxifile III has both graphic and
textual disk information options.  Sure, the graphics look great,
but is it worth the extra RAM?  Is the Ledger feature on Hotwire
really necessary?  The new Maxifile's file reader encroaches on
many of Lookit's features, and MF III also includes the Zerodisk
function off of the utilities package... I'm paying for lots
of redundant features that really don't need to live in RAM.
Frankly, I'd rather have these functions broken down into seperate
programs and accessories, so I only have to load the ones that I use.
Better still, it would be nice to have a configuration program that
lets the user load or disable functions in Maxifile and Hotwire,
effectively "conditionally compiling" the programs with only the
features you want, and the others greyed out.

But then, all will be forgiven when I've upgraded my RAM to 4 megs. ;)

That said, I swear by Codehead far more often that I swear at them, and
would hate to have to go back to using the standard Atari interface.

I am curious about a couple of Codehead packages that I don't have.
Has anyone tried Midimax?  I've seen the demo program, but I wasn't
sure it did anything I can't already do (or would have any reason to
do) with my MIDI software.

And what about G+Plus?  Will it make my ST run faster and jump
higher?  Can I continue to live without it?  I've seen it
favorably mentioned on the net, but I really don't know what it
does.

>Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com
>D.FLORY,  A.L.E.R.T. Sys*Cop on GEnie

Jonathan Whitcomb                    UUCP: <whitcomb%aurgate@mcnc.org>
Alcatel Network Systems, Raleigh, NC                    Delphi: JBWHIT

scale@abode.wciu.edu (Luis Outumuro) (05/06/91)

	Hi Jonathon,
		I too am a avid CodeHeadian!  What you said about many of the
programs and features of the CodeHead Utilities Disk, being duplicated on the
latest versions of HotWire and MaxiFile is very true.  Although having these
features as a part of HotWire and MaxiFile, will save a little memory if you
ran them all seperately.  I use most of the available CodeHead software, and I
am very pleased; and yes, it does help to have 4m's of RAM. =^)
	John and Charles have mentioned that most of thier latest software
updates will stay as they are for a while.  The next upgrades will be for the
CodeHead Demo Disk and the CodeHead Utility Disk.  Many of the programs
currently on the CodeHead Utility Disk will not be on the new utility disk
(because many of them have been incorporated into HotWire and MaxiFile).  They
have several new programs in the works; including updates to Art Gallery and
several others.  Bye...............

					Luis

Luis Mark Outumuro III                |  "Well... you're damned if you do,
Computer Office Products 818/813-1051 |   and you're damned if you don't!"
Infoline                 818/813-1053 |         - Bart Simpson, 1990...

Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com (05/07/91)

>> And what about G+Plus?  Will it make my ST run faster and jump
>> higher?  Can I continue to live without it?  I've seen it
>> favorably mentioned on the net, but I really don't know what it
>> does.

G+, basically does what GDOS does, only better. It lets you install a
different ASSIGN.SYS file for different programs and load different
fonts for different programs, etc. It doesn't load all the fonts at
bootup like GDOS does, thereby saving RAM space until you run the
program that _uses_ GDOS.

re. CodeKeys, if I had to give up all but one, I think I'd keep
CodeKeys as it lets you automate any operation to a key stroke. Link
files let you have a different set of macros for each program, and
one macro can load another set so the number is not limited to 32.
It's equivalent, in my opinion to Quickeys, which I just got for the
Mac II I use at work. I paid $98 for Quickey, because I have learned
how valuable macro keys can be by using CodeKeys, @$40. It's a
bargain.

alexd@milton.u.washington.edu (Alex Danilchik) (05/07/91)

In article <42052@cup.portal.com> Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com writes:

>re. CodeKeys, if I had to give up all but one, I think I'd keep
>CodeKeys as it lets you automate any operation to a key stroke. Link
>files let you have a different set of macros for each program, and
>one macro can load another set so the number is not limited to 32.
>It's equivalent, in my opinion to Quickeys, which I just got for the
>Mac II I use at work. I paid $98 for Quickey, because I have learned
>how valuable macro keys can be by using CodeKeys, @$40. It's a
>bargain.
>
>Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com

Correct me  if i am wrong.. and i don't have quickeys.. but
i read that quickeys or Tempo II for the mac .. one of them
at least.. allows you to record a mouse click on a file by
scanning for the filename or something.. this you CAN"T do
with codekeys.. if your file structure changes.. since
codekeys only remembers coordinates..

someone please correctme on this...

thanks...

cheers!
gunnar
alexd@milton.u.washington.edu

schultzd@kira.uucp (Count Zero ... Interrupt) (05/08/91)

Just a small defense of GDOS...

It was said that G+Plus is better than GDOS because it doesn't load
all the fonts at bootup like GDOS does.  Well, GDOS doesn't load all
the fonts at boot-up.

From what I've heard, G+Plus is much better than GDOS.  However, the

  |||	David W. Schultz				   	   |||
  |||	uunet[!rutgers!mailrus]!frith!schultzd		  	   |||
 / | \	Work Phone: (517)-353-8891			  	  / | \
/  |  \	"All I see Pornographitti, All I hear Pornographitti..." /  |  \