[comp.sys.atari.st] DESKJET printer drivers

csuac@warwick.ac.uk (The Juggler) (04/26/91)

After posting to this net to find out about the deskjet series of printers
I finally parted with my cash and bought a Deskjet 500. I am very pleased with
it but I do have a problem with drivers. At the moment I am using tempus to
write reports and letters since I have the flexibility of adding control codes
into my text. However this is slow and looks pretty sad on the screen. I have
first word + but no driver for it. Ideally I am interested in purchasing a
decent word processor that will make use of the features of the deskjet. For
example, I will be probably be buying additional font cartridges at a later
date. At the moment 'Thats Write' looks quite interesting. Does anyone out
there use a deskjet and a respectable word processor that they can recommend.

Thanks in advance,

        Paul

longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) (04/26/91)

I am trying a final time to see if anyone out there knows where I can find
a GDOS printer driver for a standard HP DeskJet printer.  This is the first
time in years that I have posted a question twice and gotten no replies,
so perhaps my mailer isn't working correctly.  I have been using postnews,
so this time I am submitting a follow-up article to see if it gets out.

I once hard of a product called "Turbo-Jet" (??) my NeoCept (??)
Anone else heard of this.

As a final straw (yes, I am this deparate), does anyone know of any good
cheap, word processors that use GDOS that come with a good DeskJet driver?
How about DTP programs? I have the original version of Fleet Street, but
it doesn't use GDOS.

Also, I recall seeing a review of some printing utility that came with
a GDOS driver for the deskjet.  I printed in columns or something, I can't
remember the name.

HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!

Capt Jeff Long                         Rome Laboratories, Griffiss AFB, NY
longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (preferred)    Network Design Laboratory
jlong@cassiopeia.radc.af.mil           (315)330-7751 or (DSN)587-7751

kawakami@locusts.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami) (04/27/91)

Last I heard, there are not any Atari programs which would benefit from
font cartridges for the DJ.  Though I'm no atari guru, I cannot recall of
any atari word processor which deals with printer based fonts with any
grace.  Right now, I am using WordPerfect to try and exploit the DJ's features,
but WP is just not cut out for the task.  The Atari WP is meant for older
dot matrix printers.  I can say one thing for sure: WP will not switch
fonts well.

One way to get around this problem is to use GDOS (or any other system that
bypasses the fonts in the DJ) to dump the text to the printer in graphical
form.  A word processor like Wordflair or WordUp will do this.  TeX will
also do this (and there is a DJ driver for TeX too.)

John Kawakami                  kawakami@ocf.berkeley.edu
Amateur Crank!                 ucbvax!ocf.berkeley.edu!kawakami

redmond+@cs.cmu.edu (Redmond English) (04/28/91)

In article <41919@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> kawakami@locusts.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami) writes:
>Last I heard, there are not any Atari programs which would benefit from
>font cartridges for the DJ.  Though I'm no atari guru, I cannot recall of
>any atari word processor which deals with printer based fonts with any
>grace. Right now, I am using WordPerfect to try and exploit the DJ's features,
>but WP is just not cut out for the task.  The Atari WP is meant for older
>dot matrix printers.  I can say one thing for sure: WP will not switch
>fonts well.

I use the word process ProText v5 by Arnor.  It is not GEM based
(which I like), and handles multiple proportional fonts flawlessly,
microspacing et al.  The printer driver is fully configureable, so any
new fonts can be easily added (although the width table can be a pain).

I highly recommend ProText.

                               Red/.

wilsona@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk (Alan Wilson) (04/29/91)

I also have had problems printing with a deskjet 500. It concerns mostly
the actual page area available for printing. It seems to me that it is
physically impossible with this printer to use the top and bottom inches
of each page. Does anyone have any hard information on this? I am using
timeworks DTP. (The only thing I can find in the printer manual is a
statement the the printer cannot use the bottom half-inch of the page, no
mention of the top of the page.) It is a real hassle when headers appear
hallfway down the page (O.K. I'm exaggerating....)

Alan Wilson

#  /\        / Alan   # USEnet :  wilsona!glasgow!mcsun!...                   #

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (04/30/91)

`
`One way to get around this problem is to use GDOS (or any other system that
`bypasses the fonts in the DJ) to dump the text to the printer in graphical
`form.  A word processor like Wordflair or WordUp will do this.  TeX will
`also do this (and there is a DJ driver for TeX too.)

My G-Print application will also do this.  The current version cannot read
Word Perfect files, but the next one will.  Right now, it supports 1st Word,
Word Writer ST, 1st Word Plus, and ST Writer (as well as ASCII).  Please
contact me if you have any questions.

	--Steve

--
  Steve Whitney - UCLA CS Grad Student                       (())_-_(())
 Soon to be working at Silicon Graphics                       | (* *) |

wilsona@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk (Alan Wilson) (05/02/91)

Whilst on the subject of printer drivers in general, could someone post
details of the 'printer.sys' file most commonly found referred to in the 'assign.sys' with driver ID 21 ? I have a printer which emulates an Epson, but most
Epson drivers do not use the quadruple density graphics mode which my printer
has. I have tried hacking the printer.sys file... I can get the printer into the
correct mode, but the driver only sends enough data for 960 dots per inch,
whilst I want 1920. A posting of this files structure would be of great help
to me - output from timeworks is really horrible, I'm sure my printer can do better.

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (05/03/91)

In article <1991Apr26.153429.24493@lonex.radc.af.mil>, longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) writes:
>I am trying a final time to see if anyone out there knows where I can find
>a GDOS printer driver for a standard HP DeskJet printer.  This is the first
>time in years that I have posted a question twice and gotten no replies,
>so perhaps my mailer isn't working correctly.  I have been using postnews,
>so this time I am submitting a follow-up article to see if it gets out.

Well, would any driver do?  I have one that came with WordUp 3.0 that says
HPLASER.  Are all GDOS printer drivers totally software independent from the
application they came with?

>I once hard of a product called "Turbo-Jet" (??) my NeoCept (??)
>Anone else heard of this.

Actually, when I bought WordUp I got offered to buy this also (used).  Since I
do not have a laser printer, I did not.  However, if you find out that this
is what you are looking for, send me email and I will see if it is still for
sale (from my source).
--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear

jon@nabob.cc.mcgill.ca (Jonathan Carroll) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.121758.16366@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey
Boyd) writes:

> Well, would any driver do?  I have one that came with WordUp 3.0 that says
> HPLASER.  Are all GDOS printer drivers totally software independent from the
> application they came with?

Strange, I bought WordUp V3.0 (as well as all previous versions) and I don't
have this driver.  I'd sure be interested in getting it though because I've
since switched from an Epson to a Deskjet.

Jon

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.174535.10732@cs.mcgill.ca>, jon@nabob.cc.mcgill.ca (Jonathan Carroll) writes:
>In article <1991May3.121758.16366@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey
>Boyd) writes:
>>
>> Well, would any driver do?  I have one that came with WordUp 3.0 that says
>> HPLASER.  Are all GDOS printer drivers totally software independent from the
>> application they came with?
>>

>Strange, I bought WordUp V3.0 (as well as all previous versions) and I don't
>have this driver.  I'd sure be interested in getting it though because I've
>since switched from an Epson to a Deskjet.
>
>Jon

Hmmm, perhaps this is part of the before mentioned Turbojet package (when
I bought it, I copied it from his hard disk so I would get all the bug
fixes.  Of course, I also have the original disks :-) .  I will check into
it.  Anyway, if this is true it sounds like this is what the original
poster was looking for (Turbojet, that is).

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

781105@sheoak.bcae.oz (t.knipe) (05/08/91)

In article <D'B_66~@warwick.ac.uk> csuac@warwick.ac.uk (The Juggler) writes:
>I finally parted with my cash and bought a Deskjet 500. I am very pleased with
>it but I do have a problem with drivers. At the moment I am using tempus to
>write reports and letters since I have the flexibility of adding control codes
>into my text. However this is slow and looks pretty sad on the screen. I have
>first word + but no driver for it. Ideally I am interested in purchasing a

  The first thing I did for my DJ+ was to write a driver for 1st Word.
  It does most things (bold, underline, super/subscript (a bit)).
  I've been meaning to update it at some stage.

  Someone mentioned DJ margins.  They took a bit of working out.  I use
 Calamus which allows proper margin use.  If you set the margins on the
 screen to look OK they will come out off center etc. on the printout.
 Just make a large box (not filled in of course, just the outline)
  taking the whole page, print it in draft, adjust
  it print it in draft again, adjust it (all on the same bit of paper)
  until it comes out centered and no bits missing and then set the
  margins to the perimiter lines of the box.  Off the top of my head,
  left = 2.5 cm, right = 0.5 cm, top = 3 (approx), bottom = 0.5 cm.
  This will allow some space on the left for hole-punching.

------

Tim Knipe
781105@sheoak.bcae.oz

goo@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Michael Goo) (05/09/91)

> longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long)  writes...
>
>I am trying a final time to see if anyone out there knows where I can find
>a GDOS printer driver for a standard HP DeskJet printer.

   [more pleas for help deleted...]

>I once hard of a product called "Turbo-Jet" (??) my NeoCept (??)
>Anone else heard of this.

TurboJet - Available from E. Arthur Brown Co. (800) 322-4405.  I don't know
  if they have a version for the DeskJet.  I think it's LaserJet only.

DeskJet GDOS Drivers in general - Try contacting MiGraph (makers of EasyDraw
  and other fine products).  Sorry, don't have the number handy.  I'm pretty
  sure that they sell one.

Hope this helps.