[comp.sys.atari.st] GEMINI

ONM65@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Operator Stefan) (02/06/90)

Hello, world!

I've read some messages descibing the new desktop named
GEMINI and I realized, that now's the time to mail some
words of explanation.

One and a half year ago a friend of mine and I started to
develop a new desktop for the Atari ST. The actual version
offers the following features:
- Icons on the desktop background (folders and files)
- faster windows with two icon sizes and any monospaced
  GDOS fonts in text mode
- correlation between files and icons, files and applications
  via UNIX-Wildcards
- builtin UNIX-like shell, which runs in a GEM-window (using
  any monospaced font you like)
- TOS programs are running inside this window
- any program can be started as 'overlay', which means that
  Gemini is completely removed from memory and only a small
  manager (20 KB) is running.
- key-scrolling in file windows (you press 'm' and the window
  tries to display as many filenames starting with 'm' as
  possible)
- if you drag a file on a program icon, Gemini starts the program
  giving the filename as parameter
- draggable dialog boxes (flying dialogs) with shortcuts for every
  entry (of course there are menu shortcuts, too)
- many other features I got so used to that I can't think of them
  no more

How to get Gemini:
Four months ago we started to distribute the german version as
shareware and I heard that someone had posted it to usenet.
In the version 1.0 of the program all the texts were written
in english (but not the doc files), but the current version 1.1
is completely in german. Don't panic, you don't need to buy a
german dictionary! We'll make an english and german version REAL
SOON NOW and will post them to usenet. (Watch out for us!)

Gemini is a shareware program. The shareware price in Germany is
50,- DM (Deutschmark) and we're still thinking of a way to get this
over the ocean. If You have any good idea or any experiences, please
tell us!

thats all for now, cu :-)

	Stefan Eissing (pronounce it 'Icing')

	onm65@dmswwu1a.bitnet

You can send hardmail to:
	Stefan Eissing
	Dorfbauerschaft 7
	D-4419 Laer-Holthausen
	(West-Germany)

('UNIX' is a trademark of you-know-who)
('REAL SOON NOW'is a trademark of Atari Computers)

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (02/08/90)

From article <9002051409.AA00372@hugin.math.dmswwu>, by ONM65@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Operator Stefan):
> Hello, world!
>
> I've read some messages descibing the new desktop named
> GEMINI and I realized, that now's the time to mail some
> words of explanation.

The Gemini desktop as described in the rest of the above message sounds
a lot like NeoDesk.  Has anyone been able to compare them yet, and with
what results?

Graham
--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma  EARN/BITNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk

STJLHI33@wooster.BITNET (03/04/90)

in INFO-ATARI16 Digest V90 #279 swrinde!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!uwm.edu!
        ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!cs325ec@ucsd.edu writes:

>       Anyone try out Gemini yet?  I run Gemini.prg after booting
>       with either AMCGDOS or GPLUS and get two bombs...???

>       Anyone got it to work want to comment?  I tried removing
>       every auto prg and acc save amcgdos and shell0... No luck.

>       Went through the configs... set it for drive C: still
>       no luck.

>       Damn, I really wanted it to work... Is it any good in
>       a 1040 anyway? (Memory usage?)

>       Thanks for any tips

>       -- Greg

GEMINI crashed on me the first time I tried to run it (two bombs). After
running shell0 it worked fine.  Since then it has worked whether I run shell0
or not.  Would someone explain just what shell0 does?

Overall, GEMINI has just about everything I've been wishing for in a graphic
shell.  Kudos by the ton.  I have encountered three problems that are slightly
irritating.

        1.  If the mouse cursor is on the menu bar when exiting from the
shell the mouse starts leaving crud all over the place
        2.  I think I don't have it configured quite right, since I get a "this
application could not find file" when I quit back to the (standard, boring)
desktop.
        3.  Timeworks DTP quit back to GEMINI suddenly after printing a file.
GEMINI then quit back to the desktop, which locked up.  This has only happened
once, and I haven't had time to try to duplicate it. (I've only had GEMINI for
about, what is it? 23 hours now.)  I hope this is not caused by AMCDOS.  Not
only does it speed up GDOS text, but bitmap drawing is _much_ faster and
smoother.

These aren't really GEMINI problems

        4.  Whenever I try to load GEMINI or UNITERM fonts into the FONTZ!
program they always end up chopped horizontally, with offset character
boundaries.  What is causing this?  Is there a better font editor that doesn't
do this?

        5.  Is it possible to create your own custom icons for GEMINI?  This is
probably in the dox, but I don't know German.

Thanx
--------
Jason Steiner           STJLHI33@WOOSTER.BITNET         Kyrie eleison

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Christopher Roth) (03/05/90)

In article <9003040803.AA06754@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> STJLHI33@wooster.BITNET writes:

>GEMINI crashed on me the first time I tried to run it (two bombs). After
>running shell0 it worked fine.  Since then it has worked whether I run shell0
>or not.  Would someone explain just what shell0 does?

GEMINI works fine on my system, with Tos 1.4.  When I Exit out of
GEMINI, however, it looks for something called MULFEL.PRG.  Can anyone
tell me what this is, and what it does, and if it is suppose to be in
the ZOO which I obtained from wuarchive.wustl.edu?  I have a file
called MULFEL.MUP...what is the relation?  Also, I recall a message
about the original GEMINI.INF file (or whatever it is named).  Does
anyone have it...can they post it?  GEMINI seems to work real nice,
bravo, looks great in mono.

And now for a really dumb question:  What is INFO-ATARI Digest ?

Also, since I haven't gotten replies for some old questions, I will
ask them here to save room:

Is there a program to control drive speed on a 5.25 inch drive that
works with TOS 1.4?

Where can SPECTRE GCR be obtained?  My local distributor is having a
problem getting it.

Thanks...

*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no
*     InterNet  :  cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu      *   Conscience..."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Post No Bills-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

marshall@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au (Marshall Harris) (03/07/90)

Internet/CSnet:     marshall@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au || Dept.of Computer Science
JANET:    marshall%uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au@uk.ac.ukc || University of Queensland
EAN:                   marshall@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz || St Lucia, Queensland 4067
Bitnet:marshall%uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au@uunet.uu.net || Australia
UUCP:    uunet!munnari!uqcspe.cs.uq.oz!marshall || ph:+61 7 377 2909
JUNET:              marshall@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au || fax:+61 7 371 0783

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian Reschke) (03/07/90)

In article <22548@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> Christopher Roth writes:
> GEMINI works fine on my system, with Tos 1.4.  When I Exit out of
> GEMINI, however, it looks for something called MULFEL.PRG.  Can anyone
> tell me what this is, and what it does, and if it is suppose to be in
> the ZOO which I obtained from wuarchive.wustl.edu?  I have a file
> called MULFEL.MUP...what is the relation?  Also, I recall a message
> about the original GEMINI.INF file (or whatever it is named).  Does
> anyone have it...can they post it?  GEMINI seems to work real nice,
> bravo, looks great in mono.
Because GEMINI starts programs using shel_write (actually they really
are started witd Pexec...), GEMINI has to tell the desktop which
program to start after the termination of GEMINI. Place a program
called EXIT.PRG in $HOME. This program should do only a Pterm.
___________________________ cut here _____________________________________
Julian F. Reschke, Hensenstr. 142, D-4400 Muenster, Phone: ++49 251 861241
eMail: ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET, "Julian Reschke" @ MAUS MS  (++49 251 80386)
____________________ correct me if I'm wrong _____________________________

marshall@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au (Marshall Harris) (03/08/90)

In article <2895@moondance.cs.uq.oz.au> marshall@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au writes:
>Internet/CSnet:     marshall@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au || Dept.of Computer Science
>JANET:    marshall%uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au@uk.ac.ukc || University of Queensland
>EAN:                   marshall@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz || St Lucia, Queensland 4067
>Bitnet:marshall%uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au@uunet.uu.net || Australia
>UUCP:    uunet!munnari!uqcspe.cs.uq.oz!marshall || ph:+61 7 377 2909
>JUNET:              marshall@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au || fax:+61 7 371 0783

 For some strange reason, the content of my message was munged and only
the email etc address was posted!
What I was trying to say was:
I would love to use Gemini, but I have a 1985-vintage 1040ST, with TOS1.0.
How do I upgrade the TOS? Where d'ya get it? Is it a chip? Can a clumsy bloke
like me install it? How much does it cost?
I can send $US, PoundsUK, DMDeutschland, or whatever. Better still, does
anyone here down-under in Aussie land have it?
Thanks.

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian Reschke) (03/09/90)

STJLHI33%wooster.bitnet@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU writes:
> GEMINI crashed on me the first time I tried to run it (two bombs). After
> running shell0 it worked fine.  Since then it has worked whether I run shell0
> or not.  Would someone explain just what shell0 does?
shell0 clears shell_p (don't you have shell0.c). In GEMINI 1.1 this isn't
really necessary, because shell_p is reset on reset.

> Overall, GEMINI has just about everything I've been wishing for in a graphic
> shell.  Kudos by the ton.  I have encountered three problems that are slightly
> irritating.
>
>         1.  If the mouse cursor is on the menu bar when exiting from the
> shell the mouse starts leaving crud all over the place
Was a problem in GEMINI 1.0 but should be fixed in 1.1.

>         2.  I think I don't have it configured quite right, since I get a "thi
> application could not find file" when I quit back to the (standard, boring)
> desktop.
Copy EXIT.PRG into $HOME (BTW: what files did you get? The original distri-
bution includes exit.prg and exit.c).

>         5.  Is it possible to create your own custom icons for GEMINI?  This i
> probably in the dox, but I don't know German.
Get an resource construction set and change geminiic.rsc. Thats all.

___________________________ cut here _____________________________________
Julian F. Reschke, Hensenstr. 142, D-4400 Muenster, Phone: ++49 251 861241
eMail: ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET, "Julian Reschke" @ MAUS MS  (++49 251 80386)
____________________ correct me if I'm wrong _____________________________

meijer@nvpna1.prl.philips.nl (Otto Meijer) (03/15/90)

	Just a few questions:
	1) How can i print a file on my printer when i'm in GEMINI?

	2) Is it possible to start a program with one keystroke in
		GEMINI (ie ESC SHIFT C for Calamus)?

	3) If i start a program which uses lots of memory it wont
		run when started from GEMINI, is there a fix?

	Otto Meijer		Tel: (7)42667
	WAGp 324		meijer::nvpnaa
	Nat.Lab.		meijer@prle.prl.philips.nl
	Holland			(c) 1989

news@blackbird.afit.af.mil (News System Account) (03/16/90)

Could some kind soul PLEASE send me Gemini or point to where I can get it
via ftp.  I tried to uudecode then unzoo it but zoo didn't like it.  Thanks
a million.  Oh, yeah.  What happen to DC Desktop;  saw the posting, saw the
ad, missed the program release.

 Bill Hodges                    |  Me?  People who speak for the Air Force get
 bhodges@blackbird.afit.af.mil  |  paid a lot more than I do! I just work here.

ONM65@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Operator Stefan) (03/20/90)

In article <1235> Otto Meijer writes:

> 	Just a few questions:
> 	1) How can i print a file on my printer when i'm in GEMINI?
In think we are speaking of version 1.0. You can type
'cat filename >prn:' in MUPFEL or you can make a batch file 'print.mup'
which does the job.

> 	2) Is it possible to start a program with one keystroke in
> 		GEMINI (ie ESC SHIFT C for Calamus)?
No, in future versions there will be shortcuts for programs, but in the
available versions there is no possibility.

> 	3) If i start a program which uses lots of memory it wont
> 		run when started from GEMINI, is there a fix?
Yes, the version we're developing at the moment can start programs
via shel_write, so Gemini can free all memory.

 | Stefan Eissing  <onm65@dmswwu1a.bitnet>    +----+  \|#
 | Dorfbauerschaft 7, D-4419 Laer-Holthausen  | OK |   |#
 | "Author of Venus@Gemini"                   +----+   |#
 |_____________________________________________________|#

jhenders@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (06/27/90)

	I've been playing around with Gemini and found that the script
language has no contitionals.  Could someone in touch with the authors
pass on a request for at least an if...else. Do either of the authors have a net

mjducey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Matthew J. Ducey) (11/04/90)

Can someone please tell me where I can find the UK version of GEMINI.
It looks great but my German ain't!
Thanks

--
 But I still like my ST...                            GEnie     M.DUCEY
 SOCEUR (A)                                         Bitnet    mjducey@suvm

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (05/04/91)

I unpacked and installed GEMINI from comp.binaries.atari.st last night
after only a moderate amount of muttering and cursing about LZH. However,
I wasn't able to get the GDOS clone, AMCLITE, to work. It seems to install
(but accomplishes nothing) if no ASSIGN.SYS file is available. If
ASSIGN.SYS is available, I get at least four bombs. I'm NOT running this
from the auto folder -- I'm reluctant to put it there until I'm reasonably
sure that I'll be able to boot the computer from the hard disk without it
blowing up.

Any tips? I'm using TOS 1.4, a 2.5MB ST, a Supra host adaptor and Supra
hard disk software, and a monochrome monitor. The directory layout is the
same as that included in Steven Grimm's monster archive, and the fonts are
available.
 ----
 Steve Yelvington, Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, USA / steve@thelake.mn.org

jon@nabob.cc.mcgill.ca (Jonathan Carroll) (05/04/91)

In article <A2238256803@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington)
writes:
> I unpacked and installed GEMINI from comp.binaries.atari.st last night
> after only a moderate amount of muttering and cursing about LZH. However,
> I wasn't able to get the GDOS clone, AMCLITE, to work. It seems to install
> (but accomplishes nothing) if no ASSIGN.SYS file is available. If
> ASSIGN.SYS is available, I get at least four bombs. I'm NOT running this
> from the auto folder -- I'm reluctant to put it there until I'm reasonably
> sure that I'll be able to boot the computer from the hard disk without it
> blowing up.

That may be the problem.  I beleive it MUST run from the auto folder.  Hasn't
worked for me any other way.  Don't worry, it doesn't blow up... (Well not in a
big way anyways.. ;-) )

>  ----
>  Steve Yelvington, Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, USA / steve@thelake.mn.org

Jon
MCS

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (05/05/91)

[In article <1991May4.145058.2122@cs.mcgill.ca>,
     jon@nabob.cc.mcgill.ca (Jonathan Carroll) writes ... ]

> In article <A2238256803@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington)
> writes:
>> I unpacked and installed GEMINI from comp.binaries.atari.st last night
>> after only a moderate amount of muttering and cursing about LZH. However,
>> I wasn't able to get the GDOS clone, AMCLITE, to work. It seems to install
>> (but accomplishes nothing) if no ASSIGN.SYS file is available. If
>> ASSIGN.SYS is available, I get at least four bombs. I'm NOT running this
>> from the auto folder -- I'm reluctant to put it there until I'm reasonably
>> sure that I'll be able to boot the computer from the hard disk without it
>> blowing up.
>
> That may be the problem.  I beleive it MUST run from the auto folder.  Hasn't
> worked for me any other way.  Don't worry, it doesn't blow up... (Well not in a
> big way anyways.. ;-) )

Well, I thought it would work that way, but ... \AUTO\AMCLITE.PRG
turned out to be an even bigger mess. AMCGDOS installs itself and
reads the ASSIGN.SYS file just fine, but as soon as the GEM Desktop
comes up and tries to open a window, I get a dialog box that says:

           GDOS-Warnung:
           Ihr Programm benutzt ungultige

                  [WEITER]

I don't know any German, but if I were to judge the meaning of
WEITER it would be ``Blow the entire system right to the moon.'' I
get a large number of bombs (too brief a display to count) and the
system reboots, leading to a repeat performance, ad infinitum.

I wasn't even able to get Supra's hard disk software to force-boot
from a floppy; the old control-shift-alt trick had no effect
whatsoever. (Is this a TOS 1.4 side effect?)

The only way out of it was to disconnect the data cable between my
Wren and my Adaptec controller, boot from the floppy disk, reconnect
the data cable and run SUPRBOOT.PRG manually, allowing me to get into
the hard disk and get rid of AMCLITE.PRG.

David P-Z has offered to send me a self-installing AMCLITE archive
... I'll try the setup that worked on his system and see if I can get
more Weiter-fireworks.

 ----
 Steve Yelvington, Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, USA / steve@thelake.mn.org

tgray@pieman.compserv.utas.edu.au (Tony Gray) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May4.145058.2122@cs.mcgill.ca> jon@nabob.cc.mcgill.ca (Jonathan Carroll) writes:
>In article <A2238256803@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington)
>writes:
>> I unpacked and installed GEMINI from comp.binaries.atari.st last night
>> after only a moderate amount of muttering and cursing about LZH. However,
>> I wasn't able to get the GDOS clone, AMCLITE, to work. It seems to install
>> (but accomplishes nothing) if no ASSIGN.SYS file is available. If
>> ASSIGN.SYS is available, I get at least four bombs. I'm NOT running this
>> from the auto folder -- I'm reluctant to put it there until I'm reasonably
>> sure that I'll be able to boot the computer from the hard disk without it
>> blowing up.
>
>That may be the problem.  I beleive it MUST run from the auto folder.  Hasn't
>worked for me any other way.  Don't worry, it doesn't blow up... (Well not in a
>big way anyways.. ;-) )

I couldn't get the fonts to work with AMCLIGHT, GDOS1.0, GDOS1.1 or
G+PLUS.  I can get other programs (eg, Microsoft Write) to run and
use any GDOS-based fonts, but not GEMINI.  Any thoughts?

--
Tony Gray                             AARNET: tgray@pieman.compserv.utas.edu.au
School of Applied Computing           Phone : (003) 260 366

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian F. Reschke) (05/06/91)

In article <A2664830628@thelake.mn.org>, steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington)
says:

>[In article <1991May4.145058.2122@cs.mcgill.ca>,
>     jon@nabob.cc.mcgill.ca (Jonathan Carroll) writes ... ]
>
>> In article <A2238256803@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve
>Yelvington)
>> writes:
>>> I unpacked and installed GEMINI from comp.binaries.atari.st last night
>>> after only a moderate amount of muttering and cursing about LZH. However,
>>> I wasn't able to get the GDOS clone, AMCLITE, to work. It seems to install
>>> (but accomplishes nothing) if no ASSIGN.SYS file is available. If
>>> ASSIGN.SYS is available, I get at least four bombs. I'm NOT running this
>>> from the auto folder -- I'm reluctant to put it there until I'm reasonably
>>> sure that I'll be able to boot the computer from the hard disk without it
>>> blowing up.
>>
>> That may be the problem.  I beleive it MUST run from the auto folder.
>Hasn't
>> worked for me any other way.  Don't worry, it doesn't blow up... (Well not
>in
>> big way anyways.. ;-) )
>
>Well, I thought it would work that way, but ... \AUTO\AMCLITE.PRG
>turned out to be an even bigger mess. AMCGDOS installs itself and
>reads the ASSIGN.SYS file just fine, but as soon as the GEM Desktop
>comes up and tries to open a window, I get a dialog box that says:
>
>           GDOS-Warnung:
>           Ihr Programm benutzt ungultige
>
>                  [WEITER]

Bug #1: There is a german GDOS version in the distribution
Bug #2: the error message is scrambled (known bug :-()

Translation: `Your program uses an illegal VDI handle, continue?'

Reason: probably a buggy desk accessory.

>I don't know any German, but if I were to judge the meaning of
>WEITER it would be ``Blow the entire system right to the moon.'' I
>get a large number of bombs (too brief a display to count) and the
>system reboots, leading to a repeat performance, ad infinitum.
>
>I wasn't even able to get Supra's hard disk software to force-boot
>from a floppy; the old control-shift-alt trick had no effect
>whatsoever. (Is this a TOS 1.4 side effect?)

Don't blame Gemini or AMCGDOS for this. IF there is a bug, it's in
the harddisk driver you use.

>The only way out of it was to disconnect the data cable between my
>Wren and my Adaptec controller, boot from the floppy disk, reconnect
>the data cable and run SUPRBOOT.PRG manually, allowing me to get into
>the hard disk and get rid of AMCLITE.PRG.
>
>David P-Z has offered to send me a self-installing AMCLITE archive
>... I'll try the setup that worked on his system and see if I can get
>more Weiter-fireworks.
>
> ----
First of all, you can use any other GDOS (or no GDOS at all). Try the
older AMCDOS-UK version that should be available from some servers.

Then, you should remove all accessories and try to find out, which one
is causing the problem.

To make it clear: the only problem with AMCLIGHT is the scrambled, german
error message!!

fast eMail: ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET,    slow: jr@ms.maus.de (++49 251 77216)
____________________ correct me if I'm wrong _____________________________

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian F. Reschke) (05/06/91)

In article <A2238256803@thelake.mn.org>, steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington)
says:

>I unpacked and installed GEMINI from comp.binaries.atari.st last night
>after only a moderate amount of muttering and cursing about LZH. However,
>I wasn't able to get the GDOS clone, AMCLITE, to work. It seems to install
>ASSIGN.SYS is available, I get at least four bombs. I'm NOT running this
>from the auto folder -- I'm reluctant to put it there until I'm reasonably
>sure that I'll be able to boot the computer from the hard disk without it
>blowing up.

(1) GDOS can only be run from within the AUTO folder. Unfortunately, AMCLIGHT
    forgets to check for this.

>Any tips? I'm using TOS 1.4, a 2.5MB ST, a Supra host adaptor and Supra
>hard disk software, and a monochrome monitor. The directory layout is the
>same as that included in Steven Grimm's monster archive, and the fonts are
>available.
> ----
> Steve Yelvington, Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, USA / steve@thelake.mn.org

___________________________ cut here _____________________________________
Julian F. Reschke, Hensenstr. 142, D-4400 Muenster, Phone: ++49 251 861241
fast eMail: ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET,    slow: jr@ms.maus.de (++49 251 77216)
____________________ correct me if I'm wrong _____________________________

S_DINGLER@iravcl.ira.uka.de (|S| Florian Dingler) (05/06/91)

Hi there, y'all!

You have to put AMCLITE.PRG into the auto-folder. Then put ASSIGN.SYS into
the root directory. Get your hands onto you editor an open ASSIGN.SYS for
editing. Somewhere in it you'll find a PATH saying e.g. C:\FONTS\ .
Change this one to the path where you store your GDOS-fonts. Save it.
Rebbot. if it won't work, remove all programs and acc's from either the
auto-folder and the root-directory (all but AMCGLITE.PRG). Reboot.
On each reboot, add one of the removed file until you get the Window
saying 'WARNUNG! Ihr Programm benutzt ungueltige ..'
The kind of GDOS-programming in tihs program is done by dirty tricks. It
won't work with AMCGLITE.PRG because it doesn't uses the correct GDOS-
standards. Try to get a newer revision of that program.
Hope that'll help

F.Dingler               UKDP@dkauni2.de
			S_DINGLER@irav1.ira.uka.de

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (05/06/91)

[In article <1991May6.092100.24022@ira.uka.de>,
     S_DINGLER@iravcl.ira.uka.de (|S| Florian Dingler) writes ... ]

 > Rebbot. if it won't work, remove all programs and acc's from either the
 > auto-folder and the root-directory (all but AMCGLITE.PRG). Reboot.
 > On each reboot, add one of the removed file until you get the Window
 > saying 'WARNUNG! Ihr Programm benutzt ungueltige ..'

Bingo! Florian wins the prize: It was, indeed, a desk accessory. I'm
not sure which one, but I suspect the (very old) CALC.ACC or Notepad!.ACC.
I'm up and running now with Gemini Bold 9pt.
 ----
 Steve Yelvington, Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, USA / steve@thelake.mn.org

oddjob@oz.plymouth.edu (Andrew C. Stoffel) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May6.092622.14463@pieman.compserv.utas.edu.au> tgray@pieman.compserv.utas.edu.au (Tony Gray) writes:
   In article <1991May4.145058.2122@cs.mcgill.ca> jon@nabob.cc.mcgill.ca (Jonathan Carroll) writes:
   >In article <A2238256803@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington)
   >writes:
   >> I unpacked and installed GEMINI from comp.binaries.atari.st last night
   >> after only a moderate amount of muttering and cursing about LZH. However,
I'm having problems with ANYTHING that uses GDOS (I use G+PLUS) so I
didn't expect it to work with Gemini. :-(.

My problems with Gemini are relatively solvable so I won't
mention them (I'm running TOS 1.0 %-0 ) EXCEPT -->

1. Is there any way to get Mupfel (Since i have TOS 1.0) to boot the
   Venus program automatically ??? I could get the older version of it to
   do that but the newer one blew up in my face.....

2. That Tree* program LOOKS great but blows up my computer EVERY time
   I attempt to use it. With or without Gemini. I don't recall seeing
   anything in its docs about required TOS versions....

3. How do I add icons to Gemini ?? I've done it using a resource
   editor but the small and large icons don't quite measure up/match
   (meaning --> If I make a large icon and a small icon for the same
   program to use, how do I put them in the resource so that they line
   up when assigning them to a file ?)

I really like the ability to use overlays since with Mupfel & Venus
both running I only have 450K free. Overlays make life a whole lot
easier. ANd being able to run ACC's from the desktop....

One other thing.....
   That Chmeleon.acc in the distribution doesn't like wm.arc (Wholly
Macro) that's at atari.archive.umich.edu in atari/printing (?). It
loads it but then can't unload it..... had to reboot.

-Andy-
--
|"The Snark WAS a Boojum, you see!"|Good   : acs@unhd.unh.edu       |
|"Reality !?! Isn't that something |Better : ANDYS@psc.plymouth.edu |

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (05/06/91)

In article <A2238256803@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>I unpacked and installed GEMINI from comp.binaries.atari.st last night
>after only a moderate amount of muttering and cursing about LZH. However,
>I wasn't able to get the GDOS clone, AMCLITE, to work. It seems to install
>(but accomplishes nothing) if no ASSIGN.SYS file is available. If
>ASSIGN.SYS is available, I get at least four bombs. I'm NOT running this
>from the auto folder -- I'm reluctant to put it there until I'm reasonably
>sure that I'll be able to boot the computer from the hard disk without it
>blowing up.
>
>Any tips? I'm using TOS 1.4, a 2.5MB ST, a Supra host adaptor and Supra
>hard disk software, and a monochrome monitor. The directory layout is the
>same as that included in Steven Grimm's monster archive, and the fonts are
>available.

I updated to Gemini version 1.21 from the code that was just posted to
comp.binaries.atari.st.  I tried AMCLIGHT.PRG and it worked fine, but
I think it does have to be run at boot time.  Your problems are most
likely with the ASSIGN.SYS file.  You have to make sure that the path
listed at the top is correct and that the fonts you give all exist.

I did run into trouble when using the font BAGE09.FNT with G+PLUS.  It
was distributed in Motorola format instead of Intel format.
AMCLIGHT.PRG apparently accepts either format, but G+PLUS gets all
confused.  Without realizing what the problem was, I tried fixing it
with FONTZ.  FONTZ reads it in okay but for some reason, it changed
the "bottom" parameter from 3 to 4 in the font header.  I finally went
in with a file editor (XXED) and patched the output from FONTZ and now
have a working font.

By the way, I am running on a Mega-4 under TOS 1.4, using a Supra
drive and software.

| Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |

harryk@bucsf.bu.edu (Harry Karayiannis) (05/07/91)

Jonathan Carroll writes:
>My problems with Gemini are relatively solvable so I won't
>mention them (I'm running TOS 1.0 %-0 ) EXCEPT -->
>
>1. ...
>
>2. ...
>
>3. How do I add icons to Gemini ?? I've done it using a resource
>   editor but the small and large icons don't quite measure up/match
>   (meaning --> If I make a large icon and a small icon for the same
>   program to use, how do I put them in the resource so that they line
>   up when assigning them to a file ?)

  Well, I don't really understand this question because, in Gemini, there is
no need for a small icon to line up with a large icon. Gemini can display
either large or small icons...but *not* both on the desktop. If you take a
closer look you 'll find out that there are 2 seperate trees in the resource
file GEMINIIC.RSC, one for large icons and one for small ones.

  Perhaps what you 're trying to do is to mix large icons with small icons
_inside_ the same tree. Although you are free to do something like that it
is quite messy and IMHO will make Gemini's desktop look awfuly inconsistent.

  The "right" way to add icons is the following:

1. use any resource editor that accepts icons (the PD MKRSC.PRG doesn't)
2. open the file GEMINIIC.RSC
3. open the 2nd tree (it's the one with the large icons)
4. Now if the resource editor provides a way of sorting objects, you can
   add the new icon anywhere in the tree otherwise I  suggest you add it as
   the last object in the tree.
5. Sort the tree (if this feature is provided by the editor)
6. close the 2nd tree
7. open the 3rd tree (it's the one with the small icons)
8. repeat step #4, being carefull to place the new icon at the same point you
   placed the corresponding large icon in the 2nd tree. (i.e. if you put the
   large icon as the 5th object in the second tree, you _must_ put the corre-
   sponding small icon as the 5th object in the 3rd tree)
9. repeat step #5, being carefull to sort the 3rd tree in the same way you did
   with the 2nd tree.
10.close the 3rd tree
11.save the modified file
12.close the resource file

  The whole process seems tedious, but I think that the fact that Gemini sup-
ports variable-size icons makes it up.

  whaoo...the article turned out to be longer than thought..I am sorry

			     Harry Karayiannis          Post:
      ||   |#   ||					  15 N.Beacon, #316
     |#|  ||#|  |#|	     Boston University		  Allston, MA 02134
     |#|  ||#|  |#|	     Computer Science Dpt.	  U.S.A.
    |##|  ||#|  |##|				        _______________________
    ||#|  ||#|  ||#|				       |INTERnet:
   ////   ||||   \\\\	     % fortune -o	       |  harryk@bucsf.bu.edu
 /////    ||||    \\\\\	     "Hackers do it with       |BITnet:
///// ATARI ST     \\\\\      fewer instructions"      |  cscrzcc@buacca.bu.edu
=======================================================|_______________________

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (05/07/91)

[In article <80943@bu.edu.bu.edu>,
     harryk@bucsf.bu.edu (Harry Karayiannis) writes ... ]

 >>3. How do I add icons to Gemini ?? I've done it using a resource
 >>   editor but the small and large icons don't quite measure up/match
 >>   (meaning --> If I make a large icon and a small icon for the same
 >>   program to use, how do I put them in the resource so that they line
 >>   up when assigning them to a file ?)
 >
 >   Well, I don't really understand this question because, in Gemini, there is
 > no need for a small icon to line up with a large icon. Gemini can display
 > either large or small icons...but *not* both on the desktop.

Hmm... Maybe I don't understand the answer, but I've had both large
and small icons on the desktop. Not in windows, of course, but definitely
outside of them.

Thanks for the explanation of how to edit icons. GEnie has a couple
of files of add-on icons. Unfortunately, I don't think you can combine
*.RSC files with the Mark Williams resource editor, which is the best
of the three I have. Are others more flexible?

Now, if I could just figure out what a compiler is supposed to look like...

 ----
 Steve Yelvington, Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, USA / steve@thelake.mn.org

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (05/07/91)

In article <A2664830628@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>I wasn't even able to get Supra's hard disk software to force-boot
>from a floppy; the old control-shift-alt trick had no effect
>whatsoever. (Is this a TOS 1.4 side effect?)

With TOS 1.4 you shouldn't press SHIFT-CTRL-ALT (or is that CTRL-ALT-SHIFT?)
until the floppy light comes on the second time.  Works every time for me...
 # Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill  #
 # Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond OS/2!!  #
 ######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!######

oddjob@oz.plymouth.edu (Andrew C. Stoffel) (05/07/91)

In article <80943@bu.edu.bu.edu> harryk@bucsf.bu.edu (Harry Karayiannis) writes:
}   Jonathan Carroll writes:
[Huh ???? Not one to brag BUT I wrote the quoted material that follows]
}   >...
}   >My problems with Gemini are relatively solvable so I won't
}   >mention them (I'm running TOS 1.0 %-0 ) EXCEPT -->
Meaning .. I could always get TOS 1.4 (I'm working on it (Honest :-))
}   >3. How do I add icons to Gemini ?? I've done it using a resource

}  Well, I don't really understand this question because, in Gemini, there is
(Actually you do :-).... You answer it later on :-))
}   no need for a small icon to line up with a large icon. Gemini can display
}   either large or small icons...but *not* both on the desktop. If you take a
WRONG !!!!!! If you put some program icons onto the desktop it
(Gemini) uses the current icon size (And keeps THOSE icons that size).
So you can have both large AND small icons on the desktop at the same time.

}  closer look you 'll find out that there are 2 seperate trees in the resource
}  file GEMINIIC.RSC, one for large icons and one for small ones.
I noticed.....
}   Perhaps what you 're trying to do is to mix large icons with small icons
}  _inside_ the same tree. Although you are free to do something like that it
Not quite......

}     The "right" way to add icons is the following:
[I deleted this... it answers my question..... and is basically the
way I did it (except for putting ALL of the new icons at the end of
the two icon trees in the right order--Oops)]

}   The whole process seems tedious, but I think that the fact that Gemini sup-
}   ports variable-size icons makes it up.
Actually, I had fun doing it :-). The one thing to notice is that IF
you add a large icon in the one tree you MUST add a small icon in the
same position in the other tree. That's where I really goofed. (I also
added a couple more icons for different types of devices to the first
tree but hadn't checked them out yet.... %-) )
}    whaoo...the article turned out to be longer than thought..I am sorry
but chock full of info..... which is what counts around here :-)

-Andy-
--

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (05/07/91)

In article <A2664830628@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>I wasn't even able to get Supra's hard disk software to force-boot
>from a floppy; the old control-shift-alt trick had no effect
>whatsoever. (Is this a TOS 1.4 side effect?)
I think if you wait until the floppy lights flash the second time, THEN hold
ALT/SHIFT/CONTROL, Supra will force boot under TOS 1.4.  Seems to work for me.

--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

warwick@cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (05/07/91)

>Unfortunately, I don't think you can combine
>*.RSC files with the Mark Williams resource editor.

You can open the Gemini rsc and the new icons rsc, then drag icons from
the new to the Gemini.

>Now, if I could just figure out what a compiler is supposed to look like...

It looks like a gigo. :-)

Warwick.
--
  _-_|\       warwick@cs.uq.oz.au
 /     *  <-- Computer Science Department,

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian F. Reschke) (05/07/91)

In article <ODDJOB.91May6092412@oz.oz.plymouth.edu>, oddjob@oz.plymouth.edu
(Andrew C. Stoffel) says:

>In article <1991May6.092622.14463@pieman.compserv.utas.edu.au>
>tgray@pieman.compserv.utas.edu.au (Tony Gray) writes:
>   In article <1991May4.145058.2122@cs.mcgill.ca> jon@nabob.cc.mcgill.ca
>(Jonathan Carroll) writes:
>   >In article <A2238256803@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve
>Yelvington)
>   >writes:
>   >> I unpacked and installed GEMINI from comp.binaries.atari.st last night
>   >> after only a moderate amount of muttering and cursing about LZH.
>However,
>I'm having problems with ANYTHING that uses GDOS (I use G+PLUS) so I
>didn't expect it to work with Gemini. :-(.
>
>My problems with Gemini are relatively solvable so I won't
>mention them (I'm running TOS 1.0 %-0 ) EXCEPT -->
>
>1. Is there any way to get Mupfel (Since i have TOS 1.0) to boot the
>   Venus program automatically ??? I could get the older version of it to
>   do that but the newer one blew up in my face.....

Could you please be more specific? What does not work? Do you get bombs?
Normally, putting the command into mupfel.mup should work.

>2. That Tree* program LOOKS great but blows up my computer EVERY time
>   I attempt to use it. With or without Gemini. I don't recall seeing
>   anything in its docs about required TOS versions....

Again: please describe the problem exactly!

>3. How do I add icons to Gemini ?? I've done it using a resource

>   editor but the small and large icons don't quite measure up/match
>   (meaning --> If I make a large icon and a small icon for the same
>   program to use, how do I put them in the resource so that they line
>   up when assigning them to a file ?)
>

>I really like the ability to use overlays since with Mupfel & Venus
>both running I only have 450K free. Overlays make life a whole lot
>easier. ANd being able to run ACC's from the desktop....
>
>One other thing.....
>   That Chmeleon.acc in the distribution doesn't like wm.arc (Wholly
>Macro) that's at atari.archive.umich.edu in atari/printing (?). It
>loads it but then can't unload it..... had to reboot.

Chameleon cannot unload accessories which have changed system vectors.

harryk@bucsf.bu.edu (Harry Karayiannis) (05/09/91)

In article <A2504857254@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>[In article <80943@bu.edu.bu.edu>,
>     harryk@bucsf.bu.edu (Harry Karayiannis) writes ... ]
>
> >>3. How do I add icons to Gemini ?? I've done it using a resource
> >>   editor but the small and large icons don't quite measure up/match
> >>   (meaning --> If I make a large icon and a small icon for the same
> >>   program to use, how do I put them in the resource so that they line
> >>   up when assigning them to a file ?)
> >
> >   Well, I don't really understand this question because, in Gemini, there is
> > no need for a small icon to line up with a large icon. Gemini can display
> > either large or small icons...but *not* both on the desktop.
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  I am sorry....I meant to write "but *not* both in the windows"
  Gemini can definitely display both large & small icons on the desktop

>Thanks for the explanation of how to edit icons. GEnie has a couple
>of files of add-on icons. Unfortunately, I don't think you can combine
>*.RSC files with the Mark Williams resource editor, which is the best
>of the three I have. Are others more flexible?

 You are welcome Steve. Unfortunately I don't have an account on GEnie
 I cannot afford it 8*(

 I think there is no resource editor combining *.RSC files...I am also
using Mark Williams' and I've worked with RCP (comes with Laser C), RCS
(from Digital Research), and MKRSC (posted to the net). None of them let
you merge *.RSC files.

  But why should someone combine 2 *.RSC files in 1? I don't see any reason
for doing something like that. (I may be wrong)
 Perhaps you misunderstood(?) my explanation of mixing large & small icons
in the _same_ RSC file. I said one can put large & small icons in the same
tree (e.g. FORM2 or FORM3) in the file GEMINIIC.RSC (so, it is just one
resource file). If I remember well, I also said that I don't think it would
be such a good idea. It would result in having both large & small icons in
the same window. I haven't tried it though.

  BTW, are there people still using NeoDesk? 8*)

> ----
> Steve Yelvington, Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, USA / steve@thelake.mn.org

			     Harry Karayiannis          Post:
      ||   |#   ||					  15 N.Beacon, #316
     |#|  ||#|  |#|	     Boston University		  Allston, MA 02134
     |#|  ||#|  |#|	     Computer Science Dpt.	  U.S.A.
    |##|  ||#|  |##|				        _______________________
    ||#|  ||#|  ||#|				       |INTERnet:
   ////   ||||   \\\\	     % fortune -o	       |  harryk@bucsf.bu.edu
 /////    ||||    \\\\\	     "Hackers do it with       |BITnet:
///// ATARI ST     \\\\\      fewer instructions"      |  cscrzcc@buacca.bu.edu
=======================================================|_______________________

rmacgreg@cs.strath.ac.uk (Sorcerer) (05/09/91)

In article <80943@bu.edu.bu.edu> harryk@bucsf.bu.edu (Harry Karayiannis) writes:
[...stuff deleted...]
>  Well, I don't really understand this question because, in Gemini, there is
>no need for a small icon to line up with a large icon. Gemini can display
>either large or small icons...but *not* both on the desktop. If you take a
>closer look you 'll find out that there are 2 seperate trees in the resource
>file GEMINIIC.RSC, one for large icons and one for small ones.
[...more stuff deleted...]

Sorry, but I've mixed large and small icons on the desktop quite a few times
before and it doesn't seem to mind in the slightest.

       The Sorcerer is 'Only visiting this planet' but can be found at:

             JANET: cadx862 @uk.ac.strathclyde.computer-centre-sun
                    rmacgreg@uk.ac.strathclyde.computer-science
  INTERNET: via nsfnet-relay.ac.uk    BITNET: via ukacrl    UUCP: via ukc.uucp

          or second star to the right and straight on 'till morning.