[comp.sys.atari.st] Cal 4.7 - problems with 'save'?

marc@uni-paderborn.de (Marc Gumbold) (05/06/91)

I unbundled the nice 'Cal v4.7' tool (posted in c.b?.atari.st some
time ago). It's really nice, and I would really like to use it.
But then after playing around with it a while I decided to enter
my personal birthday list. I did it and then I left the program
with asked me to save my changes. Well, I pressed the [save] button,
and expected the file select box to come up. But, instead ...
...?
...?
... nothing happened. Nothing! The program hung. I waited some rather
long time (perhaps this nifty thingy has to clean up its tables after
entering quite a lot of new data? - I thought) but... nothing. I finally
(siiiiiiiiiigh!) pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del. I hoped it was a single effect
and would never return again... I started entering my birthday list again,
saved some times in between, all went well, but... half way through...
save failed again with the same behaviour. I was rather annoyed.

I like that program (no, really, besides that effect, at least). The
author left no e-mail address (and I'm too lazy to write postcards...
perhaps I should, yep). So, anyone else out there with the same problem?
I think I did have no spectacular environment, but, to be sure, something
like: 520 ST+ (1MB) monochrome, TOS 1.4, CardFile, Rho Control Field and
Cal 4.7 as ACCs, Desktop Picture (v. Kruysbergen?), Vortex HDplus 30, ...

It would really be a pity if I couldn't use that nifty program just
because of some stupid misbehaviour like this...

Any ideas? Is the author reading this? (forgot your name, boy, my ST's
at home)

Hopefully waiting,
Marc
--

 Marc Gumbold         EMail: marc@uni-paderborn.de   Phone(home): +49 5234 5319
 grad CS stud         Snail(home): Nordstr. 29, 4934 Horn-Bad Meinberg, Germany

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May6.115950.4773@uni-paderborn.de>, marc@uni-paderborn.de (Marc Gumbold) writes:
>I unbundled the nice 'Cal v4.7' tool (posted in c.b?.atari.st some
>time ago). It's really nice, and I would really like to use it.
>But then after playing around with it a while I decided to enter
>my personal birthday list. I did it and then I left the program
>with asked me to save my changes. Well, I pressed the [save] button,
>and expected the file select box to come up. But, instead ...
>...?
>...?
>... nothing happened. Nothing! The program hung. I waited some rather
>long time (perhaps this nifty thingy has to clean up its tables after
>entering quite a lot of new data? - I thought) but... nothing. I finally
>(siiiiiiiiiigh!) pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del. I hoped it was a single effect
>and would never return again... I started entering my birthday list again,
>saved some times in between, all went well, but... half way through...
>save failed again with the same behaviour. I was rather annoyed.

I helped to beta test the program.  For one thing, when you say "save", it
does not immediately write to the disk.  What it does is save THAT particular
event into it's database uniquely.  If you hit "repl", it replaces the one
you edited with the new one.  Only when you exit the program does it actually
save to disk (after asking you).

>I like that program (no, really, besides that effect, at least). The
>author left no e-mail address (and I'm too lazy to write postcards...
>perhaps I should, yep). So, anyone else out there with the same problem?
>I think I did have no spectacular environment, but, to be sure, something
>like: 520 ST+ (1MB) monochrome, TOS 1.4, CardFile, Rho Control Field and
>Cal 4.7 as ACCs, Desktop Picture (v. Kruysbergen?), Vortex HDplus 30, ...
>
>It would really be a pity if I couldn't use that nifty program just
>because of some stupid misbehaviour like this...

I have a real funny feeling that it is something else in your setup, or that
it was working fine but you did not understand what it was doing.  I am getting
ready to post the latest version (5.0), which has a rewritten manual.  I
suggest you get it from atari.archive (in a couple of days).  In the mean time,
why don't you try putting it on a floppy and running without any auto or
other acc's.  I am unsure if the program locked up, or just did not "save" the
way you thought it should (from your above description).  If it is the
second, the program was working fine (you just need to exit all the way out
for it to write to disk, after all editing is done).  If it is the first,
I would say it is another acc or something.  Personally, I use it renamed as
a .prg, since I don't trust accs :-).

>Any ideas? Is the author reading this? (forgot your name, boy, my ST's
>at home)

His name is Bill Aycock.  Great guy.

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear

marc@uni-paderborn.de (Marc Gumbold) (05/10/91)

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:

>In article <1991May6.115950.4773@uni-paderborn.de>, marc@uni-paderborn.de (Marc Gumbold) writes:

>>[...]

>I helped to beta test the program.  For one thing, when you say "save", it
>does not immediately write to the disk.  What it does is save THAT particular
>event into it's database uniquely.  If you hit "repl", it replaces the one
>you edited with the new one.  Only when you exit the program does it actually
>save to disk (after asking you).

Ok. That was clear to me. Fine.

>>[...]
>>It would really be a pity if I couldn't use that nifty program just
>>because of some stupid misbehaviour like this...

>I have a real funny feeling that it is something else in your setup, or that
>it was working fine but you did not understand what it was doing.  I am getting
>ready to post the latest version (5.0), which has a rewritten manual.  I
>suggest you get it from atari.archive (in a couple of days).  In the mean time,
>why don't you try putting it on a floppy and running without any auto or
>other acc's.  I am unsure if the program locked up, or just did not "save" the
>way you thought it should (from your above description).  If it is the
>second, the program was working fine (you just need to exit all the way out
>for it to write to disk, after all editing is done).  If it is the first,
>I would say it is another acc or something.  Personally, I use it renamed as
>a .prg, since I don't trust accs :-).

It's the first one. The program locked up _after_ pressing the "real" (the
last one) exit button and _before_ the file select box comes up.

I renamed it to .prg, too. It did work fine, then. I entered all my
birthdays, got all saved and now I'm happy. For the .acc, I'll try it
with a blank environment next days as soon as I find the time.

>>Any ideas? Is the author reading this? (forgot your name, boy, my ST's
>>at home)
>>

>His name is Bill Aycock.  Great guy.

Yep. Don't know him, but his program is really nice. If you meet him,
tell him my regards. Perhaps I'll send a postcard then...

Cheers, Marc