[comp.sys.atari.st] Info about the Windsor Atari Show

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (05/09/91)

This past weekend I attended the Windsor Atari show, so I thought I
would let everyone know what happened there. (this is all from memory,
so some things might be wrong.)

Stacy's, Mega STe's, and TT's were all around. (I think I saw only three
or four 1040 ST's, and they weren't doing much.) Gadgets by Small was
there, showing the 33 MHz 68030 upgrade board for ST's. (Even for 1040
ST's, but it does require you to put your computer into a bigger case.)
I didn't get to play with it though.

Atari had a booth there, with some ingenius "pop-up" bochures for the
Mega STe and the TT.

The seminars were where most of the good stuff came from though!

Bob Brodie for US Atari and Jeff "something" from Canada Atari talked
for a little while, and then held a Q&A session. Some of the key points
are:

FSM GDOS will cost <$100, but I don't remember a release date. (He (Bob)
didn't give a definate date though)

Atari has purchased the source code to Word Up! but Bob couldn't say
what for.

All Mega STe's and TT's have the drive controller chip socketed so that
a 1.44M drive upgrade would be simple. Their engineers in Israel have
reverse engineered the WD1772? chip.

They plan on phasing out the Stacy in favor of the ST notebook, which
will be shown at Fall Comdex.

The 8-bit computers are being phased out also. Reasons were that a 130XE
with disk drive comes real close to the price of a 520STFM.

Thats about everything I can remember now, I wish I would've took a tape
recorder with me, or at least a notebook!! (I will be prepared for the
next one though. (In Chicago in November)

Anyway, this was my first Atari show, and it was kinda neat to be able
to places faces with names.

Later.....

Ryan 'Gozar' Collins 	  Question for MAC Users:      rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
  / || \  The Price!!	    MAC HFS floppy disk?       R.COLLINS1 on GEnie

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (05/10/91)

In article <5227.2828199f@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) writes:
>...Bob Brodie for US Atari and Jeff "something" from Canada Atari talked
>for a little while, and then held a Q&A session. Some of the key points
>are:

Bob spoke at a Bay Area user's group last night, here are some of his
comments related to his Windsor comments:

>FSM GDOS will cost <$100, but I don't remember a release date. (He (Bob)
>didn't give a definate date though)

It will (eventually) be shipped with Mega STE's and TT's, but isn't currently.
He didn't know whether current Mega STE and TT owners would get free copies.
The cost is due to the fact it uses Ultrascript Type I fonts, which are owned
by Imagen and need to be licensed.

>Atari has purchased the source code to Word Up! but Bob couldn't say
>what for.

He suggested to us that Atari would be making it work like "they think it
should" (i.e., fix the bugs), but didn't know whether it would be sold,
bundled, etc.

>...They plan on phasing out the Stacy in favor of the ST notebook, which
>will be shown at Fall Comdex.

He told us that he expects the Notebook will become the portable of choice,
but there are no plans to drop or discontinue the Stacy, and that musicians
really don't care about battery use, just ease of transport (for which the
Stacy is fine).

>Thats about everything I can remember now, I wish I would've took a tape
>recorder with me, or at least a notebook!! (I will be prepared for the
>next one though. (In Chicago in November)

Other comments...

Efforts are being made (no details on by whom) to allow the Atari CD-ROM to
use existing PC-based disks (such as Microsoft Bookshelf)...

MultiGEM is being worked on...

Atari US is going to be much more aggressive at getting the limited production
of computers, many of which are now going to Atari Germany...

High-end publishers continue to be amazed by the blazing speed of an ST/TT
with an Atari laser printer and Calamus...

He related an amusing anecdote of how they demonstrated Calamus at a Mac
User's Group meeting, totally astounding the attendees with Calamus' speed
and price, and how upset the Timeworks rep was to hear that Calamus was $199
versus Publish It's $349, and then how they went to an Atari User's Group
meeting, and the attendees were outraged about how expensive Calamus was!!

 # Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill  #
 # Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond OS/2!!  #
 ######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!######

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (05/10/91)

One of the best parts of the Windsor/Detroit International Atarifest was
the big, central area shared by Atari US/Canada and Sav-Tek, a large
Canadian Atari dealer...

There were literally mounds of boxes of TT030s, Mega STe 1s, Mega STe 4s,
STacys, STes, and much more...

The prices were simply amazing... the last TT030 went for a special price
of $2195..!

In addition, support for the show from Atari Canada was very strong...
they provided over 20 complete computer systems for the developers and
exhibitors to use during the show, including TT030s and Mega STes.

Good show, Atari...!

BobR

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (05/10/91)

For all those with glowing comments about the recent show:

Did you see a demonstration of HyperLink?  If so, what did you think of it?

(Or were you all sworn to secrecy?)

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu