[comp.sys.atari.st] Mark Choi's USENET ST mail order service.....

scale@abode.wciu.edu (Luis Outumuro) (05/10/91)

          Hi Mark,
                    I have a few thoughts about your idea of a "USENET
ST mail order service".  It's not that I think it is a bad idea, I feel
that it raises some complicated questions though.

     Mark Choi recently wrote.....

$        Question: Does anyone think this goes against USENET ethics about
$commercial advertsing, etc.?

         Any way one looks at it, it still comes down to being a commercial
venture being promoted through the public networks; and granted I am not an
expert on UseNet ethics, but hasn't these types of ventures been either
frowned upon, restricted or not allowed?  We've all seen many commercial
publishers here on the networks, although they have been typically
providing technical support and service information; not pitching thier
products.
         Now let's assume that such a service is "allowed".  Does this mean
that one vendor is selected as the singular official UseNet ST supplier; or
establish c.s.a.st as an open marketplace where any vendor can freely
provide thier services to the network?  How would this be fairly decided?
I do not see any easy answers.
         I'll be honest with everyone here; yes, I am biased.  As a
computer dealer, I take a great interest in the subject.  As I am sure that
other dealers, manufacturers and publishers; would appreciate being able to
openly and freely advertise, solicite orders and sell thier products here
on the public networks.  Realistically however, I doubt that this would
happen; I am also unsure whether it good for the network or not.
         Like I mentioned earlier, it is not a bad idea; I just doubt that
there would be a way to implement the idea to fairly satisfy all concerned
parties.  Of course these are my own ramblings, there may be something that
I have not thought of.  Any suggestions would be welcome, bye...........

                                      Luis Outumuro

Luis Mark Outumuro III                |  "Well... you're damned if you do,
Computer Office Products 818/813-1051 |   and you're damned if you don't!"
Infoline                 818/813-1053 |         - Bart Simpson, 1990...

bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Bob Bright) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May9.214806.2258@abode.wciu.edu> scale@abode.wciu.edu (Luis Outumuro) writes:
>         Any way one looks at it, it still comes down to being a commercial
>venture being promoted through the public networks; and granted I am not an
>expert on UseNet ethics, but hasn't these types of ventures been either
>frowned upon, restricted or not allowed?  We've all seen many commercial
>publishers here on the networks, although they have been typically
>providing technical support and service information; not pitching thier
>products.
>         Now let's assume that such a service is "allowed".  Does this mean
>that one vendor is selected as the singular official UseNet ST supplier; or
>establish c.s.a.st as an open marketplace where any vendor can freely
>provide thier services to the network?  How would this be fairly decided?
>I do not see any easy answers.

	Using c.s.a.st or any other newsgroup as a source of free
advertising would be a definite no-no.  But what's the objection to
operating a mail-order business entirely via email (i.e., catalogs
mailed only to people who have explicitly requested them; all orders,
confirmations, inquiries handled through email)?  So far as I can see,
Usenet commercial guidelines would have no bearing at all on such a
service.  (Individual sites might have objections about their users
using email resources in this fashion, but that's up to them to deal
with.)

BBB
--
Bob Bright <bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca>