[comp.sys.atari.st] One Last Wish

dddean@bluemoon.uucp (David D. Dean) (05/07/91)

Hello:

I have been a user of the News Net for some time, and I know that

whenever someone posts somethig totaly irrelevent to the sig that

he/she gets flamed something fierce!

That is why I am donning my fire-proof suit to make this little post.

It is one that I doubt anyone will flame me for, but I thought I'd

be safe.

You see, there is a seven year old dying, and his one last wish was

not that he get everything that everyone wants, but instead is a

fairly reachable goal.  I think that if you were to comletely read

what I am going to show you; you too will agree.

The following is a text file that I found very touching, and thought

that others could help out:

                                LAST WISH

          A brain tumor is cutting short the life of seven-year-old

Craig Shergold.  His Last Wish doesn't seem very much to ask; simply

that he receive some Get Well cards---hopefully enough to break The

Guiness Book of World Records.  If everyone reading this message

could send him a card (or several!) and post this note on any

bulletin boards or in any publications he/she may be in contact with,

or even word of mouth, surely Craig's Last Wish will come true.

Send your card(s) to:

                           Craig Shergold

                           c/o Children's Wish Foundation

                           Suite 100

                           3200 Perimeter Center E.

                           Atlanta, Ga. 39346

P.S.  If you are a person who believes in prayer, a prayer for this

young man may, perhaps, find its way into another Book---and who

knows?

      He may just get a Get Well "wish" from someone else.

Please, if you can, send him at least ONE card.  I know about the

vastness of the net, and I think that we can all fulfill this young

man's wish.

To do this, would be a kindness that eveyone can show!

Thank you for taking your time and reading this.  Maybe some of us

can relate to this.  Maybe others can do more to help... who knows...

You can send any replies to:
David D. Dean, President       David D. Dean, Vice Chairman
Explorer Post 891              Exploring Officer's Association
AT&T Systems/Bell Labs         Central Ohio Council
dddean@bluemoon.uucp           Columbus, OH  43227

**** Any opinions are that of the author, and NOT of AT&T ****

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (05/09/91)

In article <3VwJ23w164w@bluemoon.uucp> dddean@bluemoon.uucp (David D. Dean) writes:
>Hello:

(Sigh.  UseNet is a lossless transmission medium at all the wrong times.)

>                                LAST WISH
>
>          A brain tumor is cutting short the life of seven-year-old
>Craig Shergold.  His Last Wish doesn't seem very much to ask; simply

As has been stated innumerable times within countless groups, Craig has
enough cards.  Send no more.  Stop propagating this chain-article.  Tell
your friends not to propagate it.  This is not a flame, just a wish that
this thread would die someday.  (I fully expect it'll outlive me -- some
day, somewhere in a galaxy far far away, three-eyed Slobors will be faxing
cards to Craig...)
--
"The goons are riding motorcycles, but WE'VE  | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
 got a whole big metal car! This will be like |       Hewlett-Packard

henry@argosy.UUCP (Henry Polard) (05/10/91)

In article <3VwJ23w164w@bluemoon.uucp> dddean@bluemoon.uucp (David D. Dean) writes:

<tear-jerking stuff>

>          A brain tumor is cutting short the life of seven-year-old
>Craig Shergold.  His Last Wish doesn't seem very much to ask; simply
>that he receive some Get Well cards---hopefully enough to break The

THIS IS A HOAX!! See alt.folklore.urban for details.

Henry Polard   |  REAL net address: | Reality         / Virtual 17-line .sig
(408) 736-3300 |  henry@maspar.com  | is an allusion. \ with spiffy graphics.

stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Stephen Carter) (05/10/91)

From article <5175d1d7.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, by rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer):
> In article <3VwJ23w164w@bluemoon.uucp> dddean@bluemoon.uucp (David D. Dean) writes:
>>Hello:
>
> (Sigh.  UseNet is a lossless transmission medium at all the wrong times.)
>
>>                                LAST WISH
>>
>>          A brain tumor is cutting short the life of seven-year-old
>>Craig Shergold.  His Last Wish doesn't seem very much to ask; simply
>
> As has been stated innumerable times within countless groups, Craig has
> enough cards.  Send no more.  Stop propagating this chain-article.  Tell
> your friends not to propagate it.  This is not a flame, just a wish that
> this thread would die someday.  (I fully expect it'll outlive me -- some
> day, somewhere in a galaxy far far away, three-eyed Slobors will be faxing
> cards to Craig...)
> --
> "The goons are riding motorcycles, but WE'VE  | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
>  got a whole big metal car! This will be like |       Hewlett-Packard
>  stepping on ants..." -- Freelance Police     | Massachusetts Languages Lab

Agreed agreed and agreed again.  It is even in Spaf's regular new user
questions postings!

Craig is now 11, so this thing has been going for 4 years.

If the bonehead CEO's at the place that first posted this want to ring
me (in the UK) for verificattion of this then my number is below.

(Perhaps we should all send cards to Cliff Stoll?  :-)

Stephen Carter, Systems Manager, The Administration,
The University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9RH, UK
Tel: +44 273 678203  Fax: +44 273 678335     JANET: stevedc@uk.ac.sussex.syma
EARN/BITNET  : stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk      UUCP: stevedc@syma.uucp
ARPA/INTERNET: stevedc%syma.sussex.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

A few lines for the newsreader

esj@harvee.UUCP (Eric S Johansson) (05/11/91)

In article <3VwJ23w164w@bluemoon.uucp> dddean@bluemoon.uucp
(David D. Dean) writes:
[ stuff about Craig Shergold wanting get well cards. ]

as the potted petunia said in the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy "oh
no, not again"

DON'T SEND CARDS!  craig has gotten enough cards to win several
times over, Guiness has closed the category, and everyone associated
with craig and the card request, would like the cards to stop coming.
You might say his last request is to not get any more Get Well cards :-)

For more info, I suggest folks check into alt.folklore.urban for the
FAQ list of over discussed urban legends which include the Craig Shergold
card request.

--- eric
^^^     eric johansson   UUCP ...!uunet!wang!harvee!esj esj@harvee.uucp
* *     a juggling fool  AT&T (617) 577-4068 (w)
 o                       HAM  ka1eec
\_/			 CSNET johansson%hydra@polaroid.com
			 or      hydra!johansson@polaroid.com
	source of the public's fear of the unknown since 1956