[comp.sys.atari.st] Disk drive on Mega 2

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (05/12/91)

My Mega 2 (TOS 1.2) keeps the A drive running when I boot from the hard
disk.  The only way to turn off the light is to put a disk in drive A.
Any idea why?  Fix?  Is it a problem?
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May11.213508.1470@cs.dal.ca>, silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) writes:
>My Mega 2 (TOS 1.2) keeps the A drive running when I boot from the hard
>disk.  The only way to turn off the light is to put a disk in drive A.
>Any idea why?  Fix?  Is it a problem?

If you put a blank (non-autobooting) disk in drive A, you will find that
  a)  Your problem will go away
  b)  Your hard disk will be seen much quicker.
This is also a perfect place for an anti-virus bootsector (see VKILLER on
atari.archive).  Also, you can automate your hard disk book by using a
program like SLEEP coupled with a program like COLDBOOT (from ICD).  My
"boot" floppy has the following:

    "screen" type anti-virus bootsector, which flashes "virus free disk" at
       bootup
    an auto folder containing:
       sleep05.prg - makes the computer sleep for 5 seconds
       coldboot.tos - cold boots the computer.

I just turn on both computer and hard disk at the same time, and about 11
seconds later I am looking at Neodesk 3.0.
--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear