[comp.sys.atari.st] Using ST hard disks on TT's

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (05/07/91)

A couple of people have written to me complaining that their TT's only see
the first four partitions of the hard disks they were using on their ST
systems.

The answer to this problem is always the same: the driver is different.

Supra (and ICD?) use tricks that we don't use to get more than four
partitions on a drive.  We use a different trick.  When you attach a
drive with more than four partitions to a TT, you are using the hard-disk
driver from Atari which is on the TT's internal hard disk, not the driver
that understands Supra's trick.

Since these drivers probably don't work on TT's and certainly don't know
about the TT's SCSI port, you are stuck.  You should copy all the data off
of the Supra drive, and use the HD tools that come with the TT to reformat
and repartition it.  These tools will let you create more than four
partitions, but they'll do it the Atari way, not the Supra way.

It is possible that HDX will not be able to format your drive, because it
can't tell how big it is.  HDX can always tell how big SCSI drives are
(that is, drives on the SCSI bus), but it can't always tell about ACSI
drives.  It might ask you what type of drive it is, with a menu of drive
types to choose from.  In either of those cases, I can't help you -- I
don't know which type to choose for the various Supra drives.

Good luck.

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (05/08/91)

In article <2928@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>Supra (and ICD?) use tricks that we don't use to get more than four
>partitions on a drive.  We use a different trick.  When you attach a
>drive with more than four partitions to a TT, you are using the hard-disk
>driver from Atari which is on the TT's internal hard disk, not the driver
>that understands Supra's trick.
>
>Since these drivers probably don't work on TT's and certainly don't know
>about the TT's SCSI port, you are stuck.

I think I heard that version 5 of ICD's software works on the TT.  Can anyone
confirm of deny this claim?

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261

hvaalde@cs.vu.nl (Aalderen van Harold) (05/12/91)

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:

>It is possible that HDX will not be able to format your drive, because it
>can't tell how big it is.  HDX can always tell how big SCSI drives are
>(that is, drives on the SCSI bus), but it can't always tell about ACSI
>drives.  It might ask you what type of drive it is, with a menu of drive
>types to choose from.  In either of those cases, I can't help you -- I
>don't know which type to choose for the various Supra drives.

Suppose I have a Megafile 44 with a Quantum 105 connected to SCSI
controller in the M44 attached to a Mega 4 ST computer.

Can I use Atari HD tools to format the Quantum and/or the cartridges of the
M44?

actually we already have this configuration but we had great difficulty in
getting it to work, had to use ICD tools to format the Quantum.
The HD are know working with AHDI 3.01 as driver
but we still have the following problems:

- we cannot M44 cartridges with HDX 3.02
- On poweron off the system it takes several boot cycles before the HD's are
  recognized.
  After that everything works fine.

  Does anybody knows a solution to our problems?
  It should be possible to attach a SCSI drive to the internal SCSI controller
  of the Megafile 44, shouldn't it?
  (if possibly please reply by email, I can post the solution later)

Harold van Aalderen (hvaalde@cs.vu.nl) and his brother.