[comp.sys.atari.st] Mega STe Questions.

hohr@cernvax.cern.ch (roger hoh) (02/22/91)

 Hi,

 Somebody tried Uniterm on the Mega STE? (I need it.)

 About the 2 RS232 ports: What are the 'tream' names of these?
 (aux???)

 Thanks for you reply.

 Roger          hohr@cernvax.cern.ch

gaudreau@juggler.East.Sun.COM (Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) (02/25/91)

In article <9103@star.cs.vu.nl> msdloem@cs.vu.nl (Loemban tobing Msd) writes:

>- Are there a lot of programs that don't work on the mega STE ?
Most games seem to work :-) As well as most software I try.  Some stuff
does break however.  I suspect the stuff that breaks doesn't work on
a Ste or TT (maybe not even TOS 1.4).

>- Is CACHE / 16mhz speed easily turned off/on with and/or without the
>  desk accessory ?
With the DA, yes.  No KB equivs.  I'll write one just for that someday.
Other people (person) in your 'neighborhood' have (has) already done so.

>- Does the mega STE have more than 2 joystick-ports, like the 1040STE ?
No.

>... (And some more questions I can't remember just now)
Maybe, maybe, I don't know :-)

>Can someone please reply, I'm about to buy one, but I'm still having some
>doubts about it. Should I or shouldn't I ?
I like mine.  Go for it.

Question for you.  Where can one find GPshell from Craft?

Joe
-=-

carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (02/26/91)

Well as for programs that don't work, I don't have any problems with
basic programs like FLASH, Turbo C, Spectre GCR works fine.  AND FAST.

However, Oids doesn't boot up.  As for the Turbo 16Mhz, it is software
selectable only, no hardware switch.

Enough info?

--Gregory

hohr@cernvax.cern.ch (roger hoh) (02/28/91)

--- second try ---
 Hi,

 Somebody tried Uniterm on the Mega STE? (I *need* it.)

 About the 2 RS232 ports: What are the 'tream' names of the
 auxilary ports?
 (aux: and aux1: ???)

 Thanks for you reply.

 Roger          hohr@cernvax.cern.ch

D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Halliday) (05/01/91)

Does anybody out there know if the Mega STe 1 (the one without the HD)
has the ASCI-SCSI adapter installed. Can the atari SCSI adapter handle
more than one device (I am used to ICD's). Also is there a mounting
bracket installed ready for a HD. Finally what is the driver software
like?

Another Mega STe question is, does it have a TV output or only monitor
output?

Dave H.
(D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk)

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.202027.11364@newcastle.ac.uk> D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Halliday) writes:
>Does anybody out there know if the Mega STe 1 (the one without the HD)
>has the ASCI-SCSI adapter installed. Can the atari SCSI adapter handle
>more than one device (I am used to ICD's). Also is there a mounting
>bracket installed ready for a HD. Finally what is the driver software
>like?
>
>Another Mega STe question is, does it have a TV output or only monitor
>output?

I've heard that the MegaSTe1s released in Canada don't have the host
adapter installed.  Moreover, the mounting holes and brackets have been
removed.  Finally, (more bad news) from what I understand, there are
posts installed, seemingly to PREVENT a hard drive being installed.  The
top of the hard drive case isn't the same either; it's not as easy to get
into it as the other MegaSTes and TTs.  I think I read this on Fidonet.

The MegaSTes have only monitor output.

If someone knows more about the MegaSTe1 situation, please share it with
us.

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (05/02/91)

Dave Halliday asked:

>Does anybody out there know if the Mega STe 1 (the one without the HD)
>has the ASCI-SCSI adapter installed. Can the atari SCSI adapter handle
>more than one device (I am used to ICD's). Also is there a mounting
>bracket installed ready for a HD. Finally what is the driver software
>like?

I doubt anyone in the US has seen a Mega STe 1 yet, but the reports on
the F-Net feeds are that Atari has purposely crippled the system (similar
to the way they crippled the Mega ST2) to prevent upgrading it.

The pc board is cut off where the host adapter would be, and the plastic
case has been redesigned to prevent intalling a hard drive mechanism.

Can anyone from Canada or Europe who's seen this model either confirm
or deny these reports..?

BobR

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (05/03/91)

In article <41920@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>I doubt anyone in the US has seen a Mega STe 1 yet, but the reports on
>the F-Net feeds are that Atari has purposely crippled the system (similar
>to the way they crippled the Mega ST2) to prevent upgrading it.
>
>The pc board is cut off where the host adapter would be, and the plastic
>case has been redesigned to prevent intalling a hard drive mechanism.

NO NO NO.  The case has not been "redesigned" to prevent anyone from
installing a hard disk in it.  The case is not finished on the Mega STe1.
To install the hard disk, they apparently have to remove some posts from the
mold, and in the no-hard-disk version, they, naturally, haven't done this.
I can't speak to the host adapter issue, but I doubt very much that the PC
board has been deliberately cut off to prevent you from installing one.  I
have even heard that Atari is working with a host adapter manufacturer which
might provide an add-on for the MSTe1.

--
  Steve Whitney - UCLA CS Grad Student                       (())_-_(())
 Soon to be working at Silicon Graphics                       | (* *) |

In article <1991May2.194001.9066@cs.ucla.edu> stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) writes:
>In article <41920@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>>I doubt anyone in the US has seen a Mega STe 1 yet, but the reports on
>>the F-Net feeds are that Atari has purposely crippled the system (similar
>>to the way they crippled the Mega ST2) to prevent upgrading it.
>NO NO NO.  The case has not been "redesigned" to prevent anyone from
>installing a hard disk in it.  The case is not finished on the Mega STe1.
>
>>BobR
>--
>  Steve Whitney - UCLA CS Grad Student                       (())_-_(())

Okay, I may have to eat my words here.  What I said was based on conversations
with Atari developers.  Z-Net corroborates what Bob said.  Perhaps the Atari
marketing idiots have decided that they should keep people from putting
their own hard disks in Mega STEs afterall...  Sigh...

Sorry, Bob.  I thought (and hoped) that you were wrong.  It may still not be
true, but I have no hard evidence either.
--
  Steve Whitney - UCLA CS Grad Student                       (())_-_(())
 Soon to be working at Silicon Graphics                       | (* *) |
     Internet: stephen@cs.ucla.edu          UCLA Bruin-->    {  \_@_/  }
          GEnie:    S.WHITNEY                                  `-----'

johnj@knor.prl.philips.nl (John Janssen) (05/03/91)

In article <41920@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:

[..]
>I doubt anyone in the US has seen a Mega STe 1 yet,
[..]
>Can anyone from Canada or Europe who's seen this model either confirm
>or deny these reports..?
>
>BobR

Although the advertisements started in januari 91, and some
demo versions were shown at places, the Mega STe is still
not available in Holland.

I'm wondering where the real Mega STe (I mean with hard disk,
correct keyboard, etc) *is* available (for non-developpers)?

Reactions on the net please!

--
John Janssen        Check the email address in the header, as this
J.v.Deventerstr.1   may have been filled in wrong by the system.

hohr@cernvax.cern.ch (roger hoh) (05/03/91)

 I own a Mega STE 4 for about one month now. I'm not a registered
developper. I bought it in France.

 Just for information.

 Roger          hohr@cernvax.cern.ch

thaanuj@prism.cs.orst.edu (John Thaanum) (05/04/91)

In article <2758@prles2.prl.philips.nl> johnj@knor.UUCP (John Janssen) writes:
>In article <41920@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>>
>[..]
>>I doubt anyone in the US has seen a Mega STe 1 yet,
>[..]
>>Can anyone from Canada or Europe who's seen this model either confirm
>>or deny these reports..?
>>
>>BobR
>

>Although the advertisements started in januari 91, and some
>demo versions were shown at places, the Mega STe is still
>not available in Holland.
>
>I'm wondering where the real Mega STe (I mean with hard disk,
>correct keyboard, etc) *is* available (for non-developpers)?
>
>Reactions on the net please!

I don't know what my dealer is doing that none of the others are doing, but
IB Computers in Eugene has had them since the beginning of April.  All the ones
my dealer has had all have the new keyboard and hard disks.

These machines are outstanding.  Some of the demos he ran for me nearly made
me wet my pants.  Check them out.

IB Computers
2511B West 11th Ave.
Eugene, Oregon   97402
(503)485-1424

Of course I do not work for or represent IB Computers in any way.

>--
>John Janssen        Check the email address in the header, as this
>J.v.Deventerstr.1   may have been filled in wrong by the system.
>Venlo Holland
>+31 77 513177       Reply to: johnj@idms.prl.philips.nl

John Thaanum		thaanuj@prism.cs.orst.edu

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (05/04/91)

I'm working with the Windsor/Detroit AtariFest this weekend, and I'm
hoping to get a look at a Mega STe1 to try to get the full story on
whether it can be expanded or not...

One very hopeful sign, although it doesn't apply much to US Atari
users, is that Atari Canada has provided a LARGE number of systems
for the exhibitors and developers, including several TT030 systems..

Dealers there will actually be selling TT030 systems, though whether
those systems will have any kind of FCC numbers, allowing them to be
brought back into the states, remains to be seen..

BobR

marshall@cs.uq.oz.au (Marshall Harris (G.M.)) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May04.034104.16937@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> thaanuj@prism.cs.orst.edu (John Thaanum) writes:
>In article <2758@prles2.prl.philips.nl> johnj@knor.UUCP (John Janssen) writes:
>
>I don't know what my dealer is doing that none of the others are doing, but
>IB Computers in Eugene has had them since the beginning of April.  All the ones
>my dealer has had all have the new keyboard and hard disks.
>
>These machines are outstanding.  Some of the demos he ran for me nearly made
>me wet my pants.  Check them out.

Does anyone know if there are any PC emulators that work with the MegaSte or
TT?
Can they access more than 1 meg of memory? Do any of them emulate a 386?

		  		         || Marshall Harris
Internet/CSnet:     marshall@cs.uq.oz.au || Dept.of Computer Science
JANET:    marshall%cs.uq.oz.au@uk.ac.ukc || University of Queensland
EAN:                marshall@cs.uq.oz.au || St Lucia, Queensland 4072
Bitnet:marshall%cs.uq.oz.au@uunet.uu.net || Australia
UUCP: uunet!munnari!cs.uq.oz.au!marshall || ph:  +61 7 365 2908
JUNET:              marshall@cs.uq.oz.au ||
 	   "If you want to make god laugh, show him your plans"
	                   Woody Allen

zerobeat@intacc.uucp (Ferenc Szabo) (05/09/91)

I bought my MEGA STe (4 MEG RAM/50 MEG HARD DRIVE) April 2 here in Toronto.
I used to have an old 1040ST (TOS 1.0) and calculated that it would have cost
me the same money to upgrade my memory (pre-SIMMS) and buy a hard drive as it
would buying a brand new MEGA STe.  Now I have brand new TOS, double speed
processor and blitter as a bonus.
I would have bought a TT030 but Notator doesn't run on it yet.  However, Calamus(amazing DTP program) is very fast on my MEGA STe compared to the 1040ST so all
is not so bad.
There is another thread which asks the question: Is a high res mouse better than
the stock Atari mouse?  Well I gotta tell you that the difference is night and
day.  My Golden Image GI-250 mouse takes all the sluggishness out of GEM.
Clicking is way easier and accurate.  Obviously I don't mean that GEM itself is
improved; it's just that it SEEMS THAT WAY.  I always admired the smooth MAC
desktop-mousing around compared to the Atari.  Now it's BETTER than a MAC--the
feel that is.  Spend hundreds and hundreds on a computer--why not treat yourselfto an excellent $75 (Canadian $) mouse?

   ferenc

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May9.053703.1056@intacc.uucp> zerobeat@intacc.uucp (Ferenc Szabo) writes:
>There is another thread which asks the question: Is a high res mouse better than
>the stock Atari mouse?  Well I gotta tell you that the difference is night and
>day.  My Golden Image GI-250 mouse takes all the sluggishness out of GEM.
>Clicking is way easier and accurate.  Obviously I don't mean that GEM itself is
>improved; it's just that it SEEMS THAT WAY.  I always admired the smooth MAC
>desktop-mousing around compared to the Atari.  Now it's BETTER than a MAC--the
>feel that is.  Spend hundreds and hundreds on a computer--why not treat yourselfto an excellent $75 (Canadian $) mouse?

May I ask if you've tried the mouse that came with the MegaSTe?  I think it
may be different than the mouse you had with your 1040.

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261
         TWO WEEKS UNTIL GRADUATION!!

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (05/14/91)

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

[re: lousy mice with Atari ST's]

>May I ask if you've tried the mouse that came with the MegaSTe?  I think it
>may be different than the mouse you had with your 1040.

I think it's pretty much a crap shoot when it comes to mice.  My Mega ST4
came with a really nice (almost perfect) mouse.  My dad's came with a truly
ugly feeling one.  The major difference is how smooth the buttons operate.
I think I'll get him a beetle mouse for father's day.
--
 "I'm sorry.                            |    Il Hwan Oh
  If you were right,                    |    University of Washington, Tacoma

In article <1991May14.042315.10611@milton.u.washington.edu> iho@akbar.cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) writes:
>ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>
>[re: lousy mice with Atari ST's]
>
>>May I ask if you've tried the mouse that came with the MegaSTe?  I think it
>>may be different than the mouse you had with your 1040.
>
>I think it's pretty much a crap shoot when it comes to mice.  My Mega ST4
>came with a really nice (almost perfect) mouse.  My dad's came with a truly
>ugly feeling one.  The major difference is how smooth the buttons operate.
>I think I'll get him a beetle mouse for father's day.

The reason I brought up the point about the MegaSTe mouse is that I think
Atari is shipping a different kind of mouse with the STe and I was curious
whether he thought his MegaSTe mouse was better than the one that came with
his 1040.

Sheesh, I should've just said that in the first place. :^)

BTW, when did you get your MegaST4 and your dad get his?

My theory, and I have quite a few :^), is that Atari has stopped shipping
different mice from different countries in their computers.  It seems they
have picked one manufacturer and stuck with them.