[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari-st vs Atari-tt

geert@ahds.UUCP (Geert W.T. Jonkheer CCS/TS) (05/14/91)

Hi ST'ers and TT'ers.

I am a proud Mega-ST owner, but I wonder what the
major and minor differences are between the TT and the Mega-ST.
That the TT is twice as fast and that it has a build in
harddrive, I already know.

Is it worth it to get rid of my mega-ST and buy an TT or
must I wait for another machine to come up? Does all
ST software run on an TT?

Geert.

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (05/14/91)

In article <1986@ahds.UUCP>, geert@ahds.UUCP (Geert W.T. Jonkheer CCS/TS) writes:

> Is it worth it to get rid of my mega-ST and buy an TT or
> must I wait for another machine to come up? Does all
> ST software run on an TT?

You might want to wait for an announcement / price quote for the SST68030 from
Gadgets (the folks who brought you the Spectre Macintosh emulator).  For about
half the cost of a TT you can get a very nice 68030 with lots of fastRAM and
compatibility with the ST -and- TT software.  I can see about getting a copy of
the on-line session David Small gave on GEnie last Wednesday dealing with the
new hardware.

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (05/14/91)

geert@ahds.UUCP (Geert W.T. Jonkheer CCS/TS) writes:

>I am a proud Mega-ST owner, but I wonder what the
>major and minor differences are between the TT and the Mega-ST.
>That the TT is twice as fast and that it has a build in
>harddrive, I already know.

Depending on the application, a TT is four to six times faster
than a standard MegaST. I think you mix this up with the MegaSTE
which is about 60% faster than a standard ST.

>Is it worth it to get rid of my mega-ST and buy an TT or
>must I wait for another machine to come up? Does all
>ST software run on an TT?

I like the TT, and I usually recommend it if you have an
application that needs the power (TeX, for example). The major
applications run fine on the TT.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Claus Brod@wue.maus.de