[comp.sys.atari.st] Phantom Typist Sighting!

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (05/11/91)

While writing to Dieter Fiebelkorn to tell him how great his GEM-View
program is, the phantom typist appeared, so I played around with it a
while.  For those who like following this guy (the phantom, not
Dieter :^), here's some info: I have an STe, with no special stuff
except for a lot in the AUTO folder.  I knew I had struck the phantom
when I typed something in STeno and the computer typed it again.  I
typed some more stuff on the keyboard, but it didn't appear on the
screen.  I moved the mouse and the stuff I typed appeared on the
screen.  I typed some more, moved the mouse, and the letters appeared.
The only way I could get keyboard input to work is when I moved the
mouse afterwards.

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261
         TWO WEEKS UNTIL GRADUATION!!

johnj@knor.prl.philips.nl (John Janssen) (05/14/91)

We had a small discussion of the phantom typist in c.s.a.st.tech
recently.

A more or less conclusion was that it occured after typing normal
text immediately after one or more backspace.

It seemed to be caused by inconsequent keyhandling procedures
within the application programs. However more investigation
is needed to say this for sure.

The background idea was that standard text characters were queued
when typed in while other keys like delete and backspace were not
queued within the program to help you not to delete too much.

..opions of course..
--
John Janssen        Check the email address in the header, as this
J.v.Deventerstr.1   may have been filled in wrong by the system.

cjy@uafhp.uark.edu (Calvin Yockey) (05/15/91)

In article <2787@prles2.prl.philips.nl>, johnj@knor.prl.philips.nl (John Janssen) writes:

> We had a small discussion of the phantom typist in c.s.a.st.tech
> recently.

.... explanations of conclusions deleted ....
> --
> John Janssen        Check the email address in the header, as this
> J.v.Deventerstr.1   may have been filled in wrong by the system.
> Venlo Holland
> +31 77 513177       Reply to: johnj@idms.prl.philips.nl

     About a year ago, I captured the phantom typist in a session saved from
Revolver (the task switching program that allows you to save and restore all
memory from a virtual session created by that software).  Thus, the phantom
typist could be loaded at any time for inspection by anyone with a 4 Meg machine
and the Revolver software.  I posted an article and ftp'ed a file 'phantom.arc'
to 'atari.archive', hoping someone more competent than I would be able to
examine the situation in detail and discover once and for all what causes the
phantom to appear.  I never heard from anyone who even looked at the files.
Maybe if some of the interest in it has rekindled, someone will check it out.

Calvin Yockey
University of Arkansas
cjy@uafhp.uark.edu