[comp.sys.atari.st] Memory upgrades, overscan.

seran@VMS.HUJI.AC.IL (ERAN MEGIDO) (05/13/91)

take up so much. I have an old 1040 ST and an old 520 ST 1 mb and 512 k respectivly.
I would like to upgrade both thought the 1040 is a priority. My question is
which memory chips does the Atari ST use? I can get my hands on the bare chips.
Would I need a board or can I pggyback or is there room on the motherboard?
I need the chip type/nums too if anyone out there has them.
Secondly does anyone out there have Overscan installed with the actual
hardware modification? Is it worth it? What exactly does it do? And are there
any side effects possible? Could something end up not working or not displaying
write. I understand it is is irriversable. Is it perhhaps possible to install
a switch if there is any worry? I sit worht it is the bottom line?
Thats it for now. I know I will have more questiopns later...
Thanks in advance ...
Please, if possible, reply via Email it is much better for me. Thanks.
Adress:
SERAN@HUJI.VMS.AC.IL
ERan Megiddo

Patrick_Dubbrow@ms.maus.de (Patrick Dubbrow) (05/15/91)

seran@VMS.HUJI.AC.IL wrote:

>Secondly does anyone out there have Overscan installed with the actual
>hardware modification? Is it worth it? What exactly does it do? And are there
>any side effects possible? Could something end up not working or not
>displaying
>write. I understand it is is irriversable. Is it perhhaps possible to install
>a switch if there is any worry? I sit worht it is the bottom line?

The actual version of Overscan is called AutoSwitch-OverScan because you can
configurate it to switch from the overscan-res. to the standard-res. if
programs are to be started which do not run with non-standard-resolutions.
There aren't any incompatibilities. In Germany AS-OverScan costs DM 120.

So long,
 Patrick