[comp.sys.atari.st] MGR: 1. Fonts? 2. Writing applications?

warwick@cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (05/13/91)

1.
Are there any MGR fonts anywhere?  How do I use them? Is MGR a realistic
set-up to use, or is scren space too limited?

2.
Do I have to write in C, using the MGR libraries to write an MGR application?

TIA4info,
Warwick.
--
  _-_|\       warwick@cs.uq.oz.au
 /     *  <-- Computer Science Department,

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (05/15/91)

Warwick Allison writes:

++ 1. Are there any MGR fonts anywhere?  How do I use them? Is MGR a realistic
++ set-up to use, or is scren space too limited?

?? Try "font n" where n is 1 through ~12. Check that you have font.prg in your
mgr binaries. There're other fonts around. There're also files which define
what fonts are available and which ones Mgr has access to. Check in $MGR/fonts
(wherever that is on your system). Screen space is restrictive for anything
over 12pt size, but then again, I don't have Overscan or Reflex.

++ 2. Do I have to write in C, using the MGR libraries to write an MGR
++ application?

In theory, no. The Mgr manual describes the ESC codes that can be used to
communicate with Mgr. Personally, I haven't looked very closely into this yet
but I managed to use Xlisp to output a few Mgr ESC codes which changed the
screen somewhat.

Cheers,

Graham
======

Graham Higgins                  |  gjh%ghiggins@hpl.hp.co.uk
Hewlett-Packard Labs            |  gjh%ghiggins@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Filton Road, Stoke Gifford      |  gjh%hplb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Bristol, U.K.                   |  ...!mcvax!ukc!hplb!gjh
Tel: +44 272 799910 x24014         Fax: +44 272 790554
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

warwick@cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (05/16/91)

I wrote:

>++ 1. Are there any MGR fonts anywhere?  How do I use them? Is MGR a realistic
>++ set-up to use, or is scren space too limited?

Being a total idiot, I hadn't downloaded `atarimgr.zoo' - I was using `mgr.zoo',
which is only an update.  Duh...

Warwick.