[comp.sys.atari.st] Weird TT hard disk thingy

boyd@pipe.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (04/16/91)

My friend managed to get his external Supra HD connected to his TT
(which has an internal SCSI device).  The TT differentiates between
SCSI and ASCI devices.  The internal drive is set at SCSI 0, so my
friend set his Supra at SCSI 1, so they would not confict.  This
turned out to be the problem.  BOTH drives had to be set to SCSI 0
to work.  Extremely weird.  Anyone have an explination?

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear

hyc@hanauma.jpl.nasa.gov (Howard Chu) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.042133.20872@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu writes:
>My friend managed to get his external Supra HD connected to his TT
>(which has an internal SCSI device).  The TT differentiates between
>SCSI and ASCI devices.  The internal drive is set at SCSI 0, so my
>friend set his Supra at SCSI 1, so they would not confict.  This
>turned out to be the problem.  BOTH drives had to be set to SCSI 0
>to work.  Extremely weird.  Anyone have an explination?

What did he plug the Supra into, daisy chained off the SCSI port, or
the Atari DMA port? If DMA port, then the answer is that you're using two
separate buses...
--
  -- Howard Chu @ Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA
	Disclaimer: How would I know, I just got here!

boyd@bind.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.195300.1906@jato.jpl.nasa.gov>, hyc@hanauma.jpl.nasa.gov (Howard Chu) writes:
>In article <1991Apr16.042133.20872@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu writes:
>>My friend managed to get his external Supra HD connected to his TT
>>(which has an internal SCSI device).  The TT differentiates between
>>SCSI and ASCI devices.  The internal drive is set at SCSI 0, so my
>>friend set his Supra at SCSI 1, so they would not confict.  This
>>turned out to be the problem.  BOTH drives had to be set to SCSI 0
>>to work.  Extremely weird.  Anyone have an explination?
>
>What did he plug the Supra into, daisy chained off the SCSI port, or
>the Atari DMA port? If DMA port, then the answer is that you're using two
>separate buses...
>--
He plugged it into the DMA.  However, if it is a separate bus, then it
was the only device on it.  So why does the Atari software demand that
it be device 0?  That is what puzzles me.

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Halliday) (04/17/91)

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu writes:
|>>My friend managed to get his external Supra HD connected to his TT
|>>(which has an internal SCSI device).  The TT differentiates between
|>>SCSI and ASCI devices.  The internal drive is set at SCSI 0, so my
|>>friend set his Supra at SCSI 1, so they would not confict.  This
|>>turned out to be the problem.  BOTH drives had to be set to SCSI 0
|>>to work.  Extremely weird.  Anyone have an explination?
|>
|>What did he plug the Supra into, daisy chained off the SCSI port, or
|>the Atari DMA port? If DMA port, then the answer is that you're using two
|>separate buses...

Yes, but why does this explain why it will not work with an id other
than 0? I can see that if TT SCSI and ASCI are seperate buses then it is
ok to use the same id. Does this meen that the TT ASCI port only
supports one device not the full 8 on the ST. If it supports the full 8
then with two buses or 16 SCSI devices the TT can handle some serious
backing storage :->

|>--
|>  -- Howard Chu @ Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA
|>	Disclaimer: How would I know, I just got here!

Dave Halliday
(D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk)

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (04/24/91)

D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Halliday) writes:

>In article <1991Apr16.195300.1906@jato.jpl.nasa.gov>,
>hyc@hanauma.jpl.nasa.gov (Howard Chu) writes:
>|>
>|>What did he plug the Supra into, daisy chained off the SCSI port, or
>|>the Atari DMA port? If DMA port, then the answer is that you're using two
>|>separate buses...

>Yes, but why does this explain why it will not work with an id other
>than 0? I can see that if TT SCSI and ASCI are seperate buses then it is
>ok to use the same id. Does this meen that the TT ASCI port only
>supports one device not the full 8 on the ST. If it supports the full 8
>then with two buses or 16 SCSI devices the TT can handle some serious
>backing storage :->

[I posted this earlier, but from the look of it the message didn't leave my
site.]

It's not the least bit wierd if you work through the logic of the busses.
The fatal flaw in your reasoning is that you think since both drives are
SCSI drives, they should have different SCSI unit numbers.  What's actually
happening as far as the TT is concerned is that you have one SCSI drive and
one ACSI drive.  The Supra drive is connected through a controller which
lets you plug the SCSI drive into the ACSI bus.  The controller, in
essence, creates a tiny SCSI bus between it and the drive you connect to
it.  This controller will only control one unit, and it has to be SCSI unit
0.  The controller probably has a switch of its own, to tell it which ACSI
drive it should respond as.

	    This is a SCSI bus

	----------  |
	|   TT   |  |
	| SCSI --X<---->| Internal SCSI drive, SCSI unit 0 |
	| BUS	 |	------------------------------------
	|	 |
	|	 |	--------------------	  ------------------
	| ACSI --X<---->| Supra Controller |<---->| External drive |
	| BUS	 |  ^	| ACSI unit 0	   |  ^	  | SCSI unit 0	   |
	|	 |  |	| ACSI <--> SCSI   |  |	  ------------------
	----------  |	--------------------  |
		    |			      |
	    This is an ACSI bus		This is a SCSI bus

If you add another Supra controller (or ICD controller or any SCSI-to-ACSI
converter) to the ACSI bus, you would have to make it ACSI unit 1, but the
drive it controls would still be SCSI unit 0, and there's no conflict
because it's the only SCSI drive on the SCSI bus that the controller
creates between itself and that drive.

Get the picture?

More minutae: HDX asks "SCSI or ACSI" when you select a drive; it's talking
about SCSI or ACSI as the TT sees things, not necessarily which kind of
mechanism it is. Almost all Atari drives are now SCSI drives with an
ACSI-to-SCSI converter inside the case, where you don't see it.  The
Megafile 44 is a good example.  Some used to be (and may still be) ST-506
drives with an ST506-to-ACSI converter inside the case, so don't count on
one or the other without checking.

The chief difference between SCSI and ACSI in the TT is that the SCSI bus
supports the full SCSI command set, and ACSI doesn't.  One important
command which ACSI does not support is "inquire capacity."  When you can do
"inquire capacity" you don't need to know anything else about the drive to
format or partition it, ergo no wincap and no "click on the drive type"
box.  Wincap is still required for HDX to be able to format and partition
some (all?) ACSI drives.

A final note: Mega STe's have an internal SCSI drive like TT's, but again,
there is a SCSI-to-ACSI converter inside the box, so as far as TOS and HDX
are concerned, it's an ACSI drive.  Mega STe's don't really have SCSI, even
though it kind of looks like they do.

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (04/24/91)

In article <2910@atari.UUCP>, apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Halliday) writes:
>
>The fatal flaw in your reasoning is that you think since both drives are
>SCSI drives, they should have different SCSI unit numbers.  What's actually
>happening as far as the TT is concerned is that you have one SCSI drive and
>one ACSI drive.  The Supra drive is connected through a controller which
>lets you plug the SCSI drive into the ACSI bus.  The controller, in
>essence, creates a tiny SCSI bus between it and the drive you connect to
>it.  This controller will only control one unit, and it has to be SCSI unit
>0.

My reasoning is fine, thank you.  Yes, what you describe above is intuitively
obvious after knowing that both drives needed to be set to 0.  What is
less obvious is why the Supra HAD to be set to 0.  My ICD host adaptor
will allow me to set the SCSI device id to whatever I want, and will still
find the drive at boot time.  I can hook multiple drives up to it, etc.  Thus,
I make the following assertion:  there are two logically seperate busses on
the TT (which concern fixed disks):  a pure SCSI and an ASCI.  Each is
independent in the sense of SCSI device id numbers, so each can have a device
0 without conflict.  My question (based on this assertion) is this:  Why did
the Supra drive _require_ SCSI id 0?  It was the only device on that "bus"?
In other words, do the SCSI id numbers on a bus have to start with 0, then
increment by one?  Could I have a device 0, then a device 4?  If not, why?
This has been successfully done by both Supra and ICD (and Atari, I thought).
If so, then is the restriction only on the first SCSI device (ie does a
device 0 have to exist, but other devices need not be sequentially numbered)?

Another way to look at the question is this:  What need be considered when
hooking up multiple ASCI devices (consisting of host adaptor and SCSI device)
to the TT?  How must the SCSI id numbers be picked for all drives to work?  It
is inexcusable that this information was not included in the TT manual.  For
example, my hard disk was set to SCSI id 1 when I bought it.  Thus, were I
to get a TT (and without the benifit of helping my friend) I would not be
able to get the damn thing to work without a phone call to Atari.  Since this
computer is a logical upgrade from the ST architecture, all information needed
to "upgrade" should be included in the manual!!!!!!
--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

cummins@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (John Cummins) (04/24/91)

>>Yes, but why does this explain why it will not work with an id other
>>than 0? I can see that if TT SCSI and ASCI are seperate buses then it is
>>ok to use the same id. Does this meen that the TT ASCI port only

On my Mega ST... I have no SCSI 0 drive.  I use scsi 4 and 5 so I can
daisy chain a friends scsi 0 drive and still access my own disks.
But I can still boot... and use my hard disks w/o any SCSI 0 device
attached.

The fellow you've been chatting with says the TT won't recognize SCSI devices
1-7 on the ASCI bus, at least not without an SCSI 0 in place.  Device 0 MUST
be used for the first device.  Why????

John Cummins
cummins@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (04/30/91)

cummins@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (John Cummins) writes:
>On my Mega ST... I have no SCSI 0 drive.  I use scsi 4 and 5 so I can
>daisy chain a friends scsi 0 drive and still access my own disks.
>But I can still boot... and use my hard disks w/o any SCSI 0 device
>attached.

>The fellow you've been chatting with says the TT won't recognize SCSI devices
>1-7 on the ASCI bus, at least not without an SCSI 0 in place.  Device 0 MUST
>be used for the first device.  Why????

[Am I "the fellow [he's] been chatting with"?]

I can't speak for what SCSI unit numbers ICD or Supra adaptors will or
won't recognize.  From the data presented here, it sounds like ICD will
handle any SCSI unit number on the drive, and Supra will only talk to SCSI
unit zero. The latter is not unreasonable -- if you've got only one drive
on a SCSI-to-ACSI converter, why include the logic to talk to an arbitrary
SCSI device number?  It would mean logic in the adaptor to see what SCSI
drives are out there.

I have even heard of some adaptors which look at the SCSI unit number of
the drive that's connected, and configure themselves as that ACSI unit
number, further confusing the issue.

As for the ST/TT side of the bus, you have to start with zero on each bus
and increment by one for each drive you connect to that bus.  (Remember,
that's unit numbers as the computer sees them, not as the adaptor sees the
disk it's actually talking to.)  The reasons for this are kind of involved,
and I don't want to go into them; just take my word for it and carry on.

I hope this clears up the questions about busses and unit numbers, and we
can get on with our lives.

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (05/01/91)

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:

>As for the ST/TT side of the bus, you have to start with zero on each bus
>and increment by one for each drive you connect to that bus.  (Remember,
>that's unit numbers as the computer sees them, not as the adaptor sees the
>disk it's actually talking to.)  The reasons for this are kind of involved,
>and I don't want to go into them; just take my word for it and carry on.

Pity. I would really like to know more about the reason everything
has to start from zero.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Claus Brod@wue.maus.de

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (05/02/91)

In article <2917@atari.UUCP>, apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st,comp.sys.atari.st.tech
Subject: Re: Weird TT hard disk thingy

In article <2917@atari.UUCP>, apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>cummins@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (John Cummins) writes:
>>The fellow you've been chatting with says the TT won't recognize SCSI devices
>>1-7 on the ASCI bus, at least not without an SCSI 0 in place.  Device 0 MUST
>>be used for the first device.  Why????
>
>[Am I "the fellow [he's] been chatting with"?]

No, I am.

>I can't speak for what SCSI unit numbers ICD or Supra adaptors will or
>won't recognize.  From the data presented here, it sounds like ICD will
>handle any SCSI unit number on the drive, and Supra will only talk to SCSI
>unit zero. The latter is not unreasonable -- if you've got only one drive
>on a SCSI-to-ACSI converter, why include the logic to talk to an arbitrary
>SCSI device number?  It would mean logic in the adaptor to see what SCSI
>drives are out there.

No, both the Supra and the ICD will allow for the absence of a SCSI device
number 0 (ie they both support muliple devices).

>As for the ST/TT side of the bus, you have to start with zero on each bus
>and increment by one for each drive you connect to that bus.  (Remember,
>that's unit numbers as the computer sees them, not as the adaptor sees the
>disk it's actually talking to.)  The reasons for this are kind of involved,
>and I don't want to go into them; just take my word for it and carry on.

The reasons for this have always been the exact question which I have been
asking.  At this point, an explination does not interest me.  However, I
do think it would be rather nice if a paragraph or two was included in the
TT manual explaining this phenomena, and how to correct it with a few of
the major brands of host adaptors.  The DMA port on the back of the TT
is handled differently than that on the various ST's, and this could cause
an hard drive set up (and working) on an ST to fail (with very little
explanation from the Atari HD software).

>I have even heard of some adaptors which look at the SCSI unit number of
>the drive that's connected, and configure themselves as that ACSI unit
>number, further confusing the issue.

This is very likely the reason why the drive did not work.  Since the
SCSI disk was set to ID 1, perhaps it set the ASCI number to the same
(thus confusing the Atari HD software).  It would be interesting to
see if the BMS and ICD host adaptors create the same problem.

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (05/04/91)

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
>The DMA port on the back of the TT
>is handled differently than that on the various ST's, and this could cause
>an hard drive set up (and working) on an ST to fail (with very little
>explanation from the Atari HD software).

A phrase like "The DMA port on the back of the TT" encourages
misunderstanding: there are TWO DMA ports on the back of the TT; one is
ACSI and one is SCSI, and you should make that distinction explicit when
you talk about the TT.

In any case, you are mistaken.  A working setup on an ST will work fine on
a TT.  What part of this conversation makes you think it won't?  The only
oddity will be that SCSI drives (like the internal one), if present, will
have their partitions appear first in the sequence of drive letters.  But
if you have a working chain of drives coming out of your ST, and you unplug
the end of the chain from the ST and plug it into the TT, all those drives
will be accessible and will work just fine.

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (05/04/91)

Well, the Epson Laser Emulator LASERBRAIN works 100% on ST, STE and MEGA STE,
but on the TT it sais "No laser printer connected".  Then it's easy to say
that the ACSI port is not 100% identical on the TT (even if the problem may
be a software problem, either in LaserBrain or in the TT-TOS)...

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST
__________/ ______________________/   ____/   /   Klubben,  user association

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (05/05/91)

In article <2925@atari.UUCP>, apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
>>The DMA port on the back of the TT
>>is handled differently than that on the various ST's, and this could cause
>>an hard drive set up (and working) on an ST to fail (with very little
>>explanation from the Atari HD software).
>
>A phrase like "The DMA port on the back of the TT" encourages
>misunderstanding: there are TWO DMA ports on the back of the TT; one is
>ACSI and one is SCSI, and you should make that distinction explicit when
>you talk about the TT.

Implicitly I am referring to the one which also exists on ST systems, which is
the ASCI one.  Are you telling me to be more up to snuff on my technical
descriptions?  Crack open an ST or TT manual sometime, and get your red
pen out . . . .

>In any case, you are mistaken.  A working setup on an ST will work fine on
>a TT.  What part of this conversation makes you think it won't?  The only
>oddity will be that SCSI drives (like the internal one), if present, will
>have their partitions appear first in the sequence of drive letters.  But
>if you have a working chain of drives coming out of your ST, and you unplug
>the end of the chain from the ST and plug it into the TT, all those drives
>will be accessible and will work just fine.

Wrong.

<sigh> Here we go.  Ok Allan, here is exactly what happened (for the third
time :-).

    A working ST system:  Mega4, laser printer, Supra Hard disk.  The SCSI
        drive contained within the Supra is set to SCSI id 1.  The ST does
        not mind this at all.  Everything works.

    A TT system is purchased.

    The DMA cable connecting the Supra to the working ST setup is disconnected,
        and attached to the ASCI DMA port on the TT.

    The computer is booted.

    The Supra is invisible to the TT desktop, for no apparent reason.  Nothing
        is stated in the manual.  No error messages from the HDX software.

What was really strange is that the Atari formatting software could see the
Supra (and it was later used to format and partition it, to no avail).  However,
nothing could make those partitions show up in a window on the desktop.  This
was finally fixed by tearing the Supra apart and setting the SCSI disk
contained within to SCSI id 0.

The question WAS:  why did this have to be done?  It worked fine on the ST
when set to SCSI id 1.

Please do not answer this question.  I don't care anymore.  Nobody cares
anymore.  All of us that read all this bandwidth will carry the "set it to
zero and try it" solution for the rest of our days.  We will repeatedly tell
new TT owners this when they post the "what the hell is wrong with my hard
disk" question on c.s.a.st.  This will just become one more such tidbit of
information that is needed to have success with ST/TT's, and is not printed
in the manuals that come with the computer(s).

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

cummins@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (John Cummins) (05/06/91)

In article <2925@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:

>In any case, you are mistaken.  A working setup on an ST will work fine on
>a TT.  What part of this conversation makes you think it won't?  The only
>oddity will be that SCSI drives (like the internal one), if present, will
>have their partitions appear first in the sequence of drive letters.  But
>if you have a working chain of drives coming out of your ST, and you unplug
>the end of the chain from the ST and plug it into the TT, all those drives
>will be accessible and will work just fine.

Even if there is no drive 0 in the working chain of drives attached to
the ASCI port?  ie, my ICD drives, with ASCI to SCSI adapter and drives
with SCSI id's 2 and 4?  (I havn't the foggiest what ASCI id they (it?)
would have, from previous disclosures, I understand I can have an ASCI
id 0-7 for 8 different host adapters, and 0-7 SCSI id's on each?)
naw... I thought the host adapter was "transparent" and the SCSI id's on
the ASCI attached drives became the ASCI id.

Conjecture: My two drives (SCSI id's 2,4 on an ICD host) would show up
as ASCI id's 2,4 and work just fine (With ICD's software) attached to a
TT.

>Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

John Cummins
(still wondering IF there's a problem with NOT having an SCSI ID 0 on a
chain of host adapter equipped drives attached to an ASCI port on a TT)

Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com (05/07/91)

My understanding is that the ST will read ID numbers from the lowest one to
the highest, and it doesn't matter if some are skipped. The TT reads from 0
up in SEQUENTIAL order. If you skip a number the others are invisible. If
your TT doesn't have an internal HD then the ID 1 drive would act as you
described and changing it to 0 would be the fix. Does this make sense or
am I all wet? (I don't have a TT so I don't know if the manual says this. I
picked it up somewhere, on GEnie maybe.)

DAVE FLORY
Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com
D.FLORY,  A.L.E.R.T. Sys*Cop on GEnie

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (05/07/91)

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
>    A working ST system:  Mega4, laser printer, Supra Hard disk.  The SCSI
>        drive contained within the Supra is set to SCSI id 1.  The ST does
>        not mind this at all.  Everything works.

I conclude that the Supra controller responds on the ACSI bus using the
unit number of the SCSI drive connected to it; see below.

>    A TT system is purchased.
>    The DMA cable connecting the Supra to the working ST setup is
>        disconnected, and attached to the ASCI DMA port on the TT.
>    The computer is booted.
>    The Supra is invisible to the TT desktop, for no apparent reason.
>        Nothing is stated in the manual.  No error messages from the
>	 HDX software.

I stand corrected.  I should have said, "A working system WITH ATARI
DRIVERS will work when plugged into a TT."  What is happening here is that
on the ST, you are booting with Supra's driver off the Supra hard disk, and
on the TT you are booting with Atari's driver on the TT's internal hard
disk.

Supra's driver will find ACSI units which are not connected in consecutive
order starting with zero, and Atari's driver won't.

The same thing would happen if you connected an ACSI drive, as ACSI unit
zero, HINSTALLED with Atari's driver, to the ST: you would get Atari's
driver, not Supra's.  (Of course, since you now have consecutive ACSI unit
numbers starting from zero, your Supra would be found; if the Supra were
unit 2, it would not be.)

There is another problem which has been called to my attention, and which
is covered by the same "Atari drivers" caveat: Supra uses one trick to get
more than four partitions per drive, and Atari uses another. If you have a
drive partitioned with Supra's trick, and you connected it to a TT (or any
machine running an Atari driver) the partitions after the fourth one will
not be accessible.  Again, it's a question of using non-Atari drivers.

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian F. Reschke) (05/07/91)

In article <42051@cup.portal.com>, Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com says:

>My understanding is that the ST will read ID numbers from the lowest one to
>the highest, and it doesn't matter if some are skipped. The TT reads from 0

Wrong. The limititation is not in the BIOS, but in AHDI. The BIOS boots
from the first drive with an executable root sector (the TT takes the
SCSI drives first). But AHDI only looks for devices starting at #0 in
sequential order.

>up in SEQUENTIAL order. If you skip a number the others are invisible. If

>your TT doesn't have an internal HD then the ID 1 drive would act as you
>described and changing it to 0 would be the fix. Does this make sense or
>am I all wet? (I don't have a TT so I don't know if the manual says this. I
>picked it up somewhere, on GEnie maybe.)
>
>DAVE FLORY
>Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com
>D.FLORY,  A.L.E.R.T. Sys*Cop on GEnie
___________________________ cut here _____________________________________
Julian F. Reschke, Hensenstr. 142, D-4400 Muenster, Phone: ++49 251 861241
fast eMail: ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET,    slow: jr@ms.maus.de (++49 251 77216)
____________________ correct me if I'm wrong _____________________________

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian F. Reschke) (05/07/91)

Perhaps is should be mentioned that the AHDI 3 partition scheme is well
documented and that it's a problem of the other hard disk manufactures if
they are not compatible. There *ARE* third-party drivers that are AHDI-3
compatible AND know about the TT's SCSI port (in fact, I am one of the
authors of one of them).

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (05/09/91)

In article <2930@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>Supra's driver will find ACSI units which are not connected in consecutive
>order starting with zero, and Atari's driver won't.
>There is another problem which has been called to my attention, and which
>is covered by the same "Atari drivers" caveat: Supra uses one trick to get
>more than four partitions per drive, and Atari uses another. If you have a
>drive partitioned with Supra's trick, and you connected it to a TT (or any
>machine running an Atari driver) the partitions after the fourth one will
>not be accessible.  Again, it's a question of using non-Atari drivers.

>Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

I would think it would be in Atari's best interests to provide an
upgrade path for present ST users of Supra's drives.  It shouldn't
be too hard to extend AHDI so that:

1.  The driver will work like Supra's driver and find ACSI units
which are not connected in consecutive order.

2.  The driver will recognize Supra's extended partitions as well as
Atari's.  HDX doesn't have to create them, but it would sure be nice
if AHDI and HDX understood them.

| Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.154337.17580@cs.yale.edu> fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) writes:
> In article <2930@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
> >Supra's driver will find ACSI units which are not connected in consecutive
> >order starting with zero, and Atari's driver won't.
> >There is another problem which has been called to my attention, and which
> >is covered by the same "Atari drivers" caveat: Supra uses one trick to get
> >more than four partitions per drive, and Atari uses another. If you have a
> >drive partitioned with Supra's trick, and you connected it to a TT (or any
> >machine running an Atari driver) the partitions after the fourth one will
> >not be accessible.  Again, it's a question of using non-Atari drivers.
> >
> >============================================
> >Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
> >reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt
>
> I would think it would be in Atari's best interests to provide an
> upgrade path for present ST users of Supra's drives.  It shouldn't
> be too hard to extend AHDI so that:
>
> 1.  The driver will work like Supra's driver and find ACSI units
> which are not connected in consecutive order.
>
> 2.  The driver will recognize Supra's extended partitions as well as
> Atari's.  HDX doesn't have to create them, but it would sure be nice
> if AHDI and HDX understood them.
>
> --
> | Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |

Why don't we have a propper standard, one of the problems is that
  Ataries HDX standard came out far to late.
So why don't all the other Atari developers come up with one
common standard.
  Is it not posible to follow the MS-DOS standard, as our disks are
based on that standard..
It would only take a small patch program to fixup the none standard
disk partitions, and for the other developers to fixup there Booters,
or is this to simple a task.

Also are BIG partition standard ?.
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May10.025443.15780@actrix.gen.nz> Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:
[Quotes lots of people]

>Why don't we have a propper standard, one of the problems is that
>  Ataries HDX standard came out far to late.
>So why don't all the other Atari developers come up with one
>common standard.
>  Is it not posible to follow the MS-DOS standard, as our disks are
>based on that standard..
>It would only take a small patch program to fixup the none standard
>disk partitions, and for the other developers to fixup there Booters,
>or is this to simple a task.
>
>Also are BIG partition standard ?.
>--
>Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

Well, there's not point in adopting yet another standard now.  Atari has
released the details of their standard for adding partitions and for
creating large (big GEM - BGM) partitions.  Registered developers can get
this document right now.  The new driver comes with all TTs so we might as
well use its standard.

	--Steve

--
  Steve Whitney - UCLA CS Grad Student                       (())_-_(())
 Soon to be working at Silicon Graphics                       | (* *) |

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (05/10/91)

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) writes:

>In article <2930@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>upgrade path for present ST users of Supra's drives.  It shouldn't
>be too hard to extend AHDI so that:
>1.  The driver will work like Supra's driver and find ACSI units
>which are not connected in consecutive order.
>2.  The driver will recognize Supra's extended partitions as well as
>Atari's.  HDX doesn't have to create them, but it would sure be nice
>if AHDI and HDX understood them.

Perhaps they don't want the two formats to be mixed up by users.
Anyway, the two points you made are two of the reasons I wrote my own
driver. Especially (1) is extremely annoying.

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.075334.19165@cs.ucla.edu> stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) writes:
> In article <1991May10.025443.15780@actrix.gen.nz> Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:
> [Quotes lots of people]
> >
> >Why don't we have a propper standard, one of the problems is that
> >  Ataries HDX standard came out far to late.
> >So why don't all the other Atari developers come up with one
> >common standard.
> >  Is it not posible to follow the MS-DOS standard, as our disks are
> >based on that standard..
> >It would only take a small patch program to fixup the none standard
> >disk partitions, and for the other developers to fixup there Booters,
> >or is this to simple a task.
> >
> >Also are BIG partition standard ?.
> >--
> Well, there's not point in adopting yet another standard now.  Atari has
> released the details of their standard for adding partitions and for
> creating large (big GEM - BGM) partitions.  Registered developers can get
> this document right now.  The new driver comes with all TTs so we might as
> well use its standard.
> 	--Steve
>   Steve Whitney - UCLA CS Grad Student                       (())_-_(())
>  Soon to be working at Silicon Graphics                       | (* *) |
>      Internet: stephen@cs.ucla.edu          UCLA Bruin-->    {  \_@_/  }
>           GEnie:    S.WHITNEY                                  `-----'

I don't think you understood what I was on about, are you stating that we
have to upgrade all our Programs and Hard Disk just because of the 'TT'.
The Supra standard was here far before the HDX one,
From what I have read ICD's booter is claimed to be the fastes,
I have seen boot problems with the HDX software, that where fixed by
replacing the booter.
Also what states the Ataries Booter is the best..?
I don't think you should be rail roaded in what Atari gives you, I
believe in freedom of choice, and not this dogmatic attitude that Atari
gives you.
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (05/17/91)

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:

|I don't think you should be rail roaded in what Atari gives you, I
|believe in freedom of choice, and not this dogmatic attitude that Atari
|gives you.

Precisely.  You are free to use whatever hard disk driver software
you desire.  If you want to use the Supra software, buy a Supra drive
and use it.  If you want to use the ICD software, buy an ICD drive
or host adapter, and enjoy yourself.

Likewise, Atari should be free to choose whether or not to follow
a "standard" created by a third party.  Some such standards are hacks,
some are good ideas, some have a core of good ideas with a lot of
extra nonsense that Atari doesn't need in a standard.

The bottom line for us is that it doesn't matter what standard we
decide on, some people will be unhappy with our decisions.  That's
something we live with.  You can't please all the people all the time.
You can't please all Atari users hardly ever <grin>.

--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>