[comp.sys.atari.st] Wordflair II note

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (05/11/91)

Heehee, my buddy with the shiny new TT has received his Wordflair II.  The
funny thing is, the "print" item is grayed out because 2mb is not enough
memory for the program to print (to his Atari laser).  Sheesh!

As a side note, he says that Wordflair II looks great (on the screen).

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear

aq009@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (David A. Johnson) (05/11/91)

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:

> Heehee, my buddy with the shiny new TT has received his Wordflair II.  The
> funny thing is, the "print" item is grayed out because 2mb is not enough
> memory for the program to print (to his Atari laser).  Sheesh!
>
> As a side note, he says that Wordflair II looks great (on the screen).

I assume he has GDOS (or G+PLUS) installed before he runs WordFlair II.
(It _is_ required in order to print, but I'm sure that he realizes this.)

When the Atari laser needs to print, it snatches 1 meg of memory from the
computer.  Thus if he wants to print to his laser printer on a two meg
system, he in effect is limited to using only one meg for the program
itself.  Tell him to remove all desk accessories and all the fonts he
doesn't need in order to conserve memory.  The manual gives details on how
to do these things to save memory.

Of course, you could also suggest that he add more RAM to his system.
Really, a TT shouldn't have only two megs of memory...  It's quite
limiting.  The nice thing about having lots of memory is not having to
worry about those things.  :-)

--
   __    David Johnson    Michigan State University
  /  \ ___     ___

alexd@milton.u.washington.edu (Alex Danilchik) (05/11/91)

In article <9105110423.AA01187@cwns10.INS.CWRU.Edu> aq009@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:

>boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
>
>> Heehee, my buddy with the shiny new TT has received his Wordflair II.  The
>> funny thing is, the "print" item is grayed out because 2mb is not enough
>> memory for the program to print (to his Atari laser).  Sheesh!
>>

>to do these things to save memory.
>
>Of course, you could also suggest that he add more RAM to his system.
>Really, a TT shouldn't have only two megs of memory...  It's quite
>limiting.  The nice thing about having lots of memory is not having to
>worry about those things.  :-)
>
>--
>   __    David Johnson    Michigan State University

I seem to recall "way back in time" talk about memory
upgrades on a TT.  Allan Pratt said there was no easy way
to add memory, that one couldn't simply add simm modules.
To upgrade to 4 or 8 megs, you have to purchase the
Atari daughter board (populated?).  I recall something like
a $1300 list difference between a TT/2 and a TT/8.  Are
people actually paying this?  This seems way out of proportion.
$1300 for an additional 6 megs?

Like the users above, I can't imagine using an 030 with only
2 megs of RAM.  Why did ATARI even make such an option?
If the machine was designed, as ATARI says, for power users..
CAD and DTP and engineering, it doesn't make much sense.

cheers!
gunnar
alexd@milton.u.washington.edu
.

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (05/12/91)

In article <9105110423.AA01187@cwns10.INS.CWRU.Edu>, aq009@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:
>boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
>> Heehee, my buddy with the shiny new TT has received his Wordflair II.  The
>> funny thing is, the "print" item is grayed out because 2mb is not enough
>> memory for the program to print (to his Atari laser).  Sheesh!
>I assume he has GDOS (or G+PLUS) installed before he runs WordFlair II.
>(It _is_ required in order to print, but I'm sure that he realizes this.)

Yup, G+Plus.

>When the Atari laser needs to print, it snatches 1 meg of memory from the
>computer.  Thus if he wants to print to his laser printer on a two meg
>system, he in effect is limited to using only one meg for the program
>itself.  Tell him to remove all desk accessories and all the fonts he
>doesn't need in order to conserve memory.  The manual gives details on how
>to do these things to save memory.

Nope.  The program cannot be made to print on his 2 meg TT.  He has burned
up many dollars (in phone bills) to Atari discussing this with them.

>Of course, you could also suggest that he add more RAM to his system.
>Really, a TT shouldn't have only two megs of memory...  It's quite
>limiting.  The nice thing about having lots of memory is not having to
>worry about those things.  :-)

Most of said phone calls deal with a memory upgrade, which has been promised
him on several dates (all of which are in the past).  My point was that if
"a TT shouldn't have only two megs of memory..." they why are they selling
them with only two megs?!?  A moot point, of course.  He will soon get his
memory upgrade (snicker, shall we take bets?) and be happy ever after . . . .

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear
          FSU Computer Science       |      down here.  Beam down
        Technical Support Group      |      yeoman Rand and a six-pack . ."
      email:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu  |
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

aq009@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (David A. Johnson) (05/13/91)

I write:

>>I assume he has GDOS (or G+PLUS) installed before he runs WordFlair II.
>>(It _is_ required in order to print, but I'm sure that he realizes this.)

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:

> Yup, G+Plus.

[my stuff deleted]

> Nope.  The program cannot be made to print on his 2 meg TT.  He has burned
> up many dollars (in phone bills) to Atari discussing this with them.

Maybe the G+Plus/TT/SLM combination just doesn't work (i.e., G+Plus isn't
fully TT-compatible).  Have him try using GDOS with only one font
(and no desk accessories) to see if it will print on the laser.

--

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham S Thomas) (05/15/91)

From article <9105122159.AA19366@cwns10.INS.CWRU.Edu>, by aq009@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (David A. Johnson):

> Maybe the G+Plus/TT/SLM combination just doesn't work (i.e., G+Plus isn't
> fully TT-compatible).  Have him try using GDOS with only one font
> (and no desk accessories) to see if it will print on the laser.

Charles Johnson wrote to me that G+PLUS does not work quite correctly
with the TT unless you have the new version - version 1.5.

CodeHead will supply upgrades to users for $10 plus the old master disk.

This may or may not fix the printing problem, but it ought to be worth a
try.

Good luck!

Graham
--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
Email: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk   Phone: +44 273 678165   Fax: .. 685865

fh@well.sf.ca.us (Fabian Hahn) (05/17/91)

Mickey:

Hmm, that is strange, WF II works great on 2mb TT. The "Print..." menu
being grayd out means something went wrong during initialization of the
printer driver. Besides the obvious (printer not turned on, driver not found
etc.) this could mean that he has memory eating DA's or PRG's in the
AUTO folder.

As others have recommended, ask your friend to remove the larger font sizes
from his ASSIGN.SYS. Especially with the laser printer, sizes over 18 point
get really BIG.

If this all does not help have him call our Tech-Support at (415) 243-9605
and ask for Craig. He is our local ASSIGN.SYSpert.

Fabian Hahn
Goldleaf Publishing
Technical Support

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (05/18/91)

In article <24833@well.sf.ca.us>, fh@well.sf.ca.us (Fabian Hahn) writes:
>Hmm, that is strange, WF II works great on 2mb TT. The "Print..." menu
>being grayd out means something went wrong during initialization of the
>printer driver. Besides the obvious (printer not turned on, driver not found
>etc.) this could mean that he has memory eating DA's or PRG's in the
>AUTO folder.
>
>If this all does not help have him call our Tech-Support at (415) 243-9605
>and ask for Craig. He is our local ASSIGN.SYSpert.

Wow, I am impressed!   Thank you for spending the time to answer my post.  I
am not the owner of the TT/Wordflair2 setup in question, but I will pass the
information on.  My friend (who is the owner) has called Atari repeatedly
for help and still has a grayed out "print" option.  It looks like he was
calling the wrong folks . . . .
--