[comp.sys.atari.st] System 7 and Spectre

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (05/14/91)

Someone just told me that System 7 for the Mac is now
officially available (this was not an official source).  I
can't imagine anyone already having checked out a copy on
Spectre, but it would be great to hear from them if they did.
In any event, it would be great to hear about compatibility
if/when someone finds out.
--Gerry

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May14.145226.26431@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>Someone just told me that System 7 for the Mac is now
>officially available (this was not an official source).  I
>can't imagine anyone already having checked out a copy on
>Spectre, but it would be great to hear from them if they did.
>In any event, it would be great to hear about compatibility
>if/when someone finds out.

Looks like Apple beat Small to the punch.  Has anyone got their GCR 3.0
upgrade yet?  I ordered mine ages ago.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

aq009@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (David A. Johnson) (05/15/91)

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:

> Someone just told me that System 7 for the Mac is now
> officially available (this was not an official source).  I
> can't imagine anyone already having checked out a copy on
> Spectre, but it would be great to hear from them if they did.
> In any event, it would be great to hear about compatibility
> if/when someone finds out.

At the Windsor Atari show, Dave Small said that he had tested System 7 on
Spectre.  It works, but he called the System 7 software "a dog."  He said
it was terribly slow and crashed often.  I doubt that Spectre is to blame
for the slowness and crashing.  It may be that he was just using an
unrefined pre-release version--or maybe Apple really messed up on System 7.
I suppose one should check it out before getting it for their Spectre (or
Mac, for that matter).

--
   __    David Johnson    Michigan State University
  /  \ ___     ___

chad@oscar.cs.byu.edu (Chad) (05/15/91)

--
In article <9105141732.AA19207@cwns10.INS.CWRU.Edu>,
aq009@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (David A. Johnson) writes:
|>ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
|>> Someone just told me that System 7 for the Mac is now
|>> officially available (this was not an official source).  I
|>> can't imagine anyone already having checked out a copy on
|>> Spectre, but it would be great to hear from them if they did.
|>> In any event, it would be great to hear about compatibility
|>> if/when someone finds out.
|>At the Windsor Atari show, Dave Small said that he had tested System 7
|>on
|>Spectre.  It works, but he called the System 7 software "a dog."  He
|>said
|>it was terribly slow and crashed often.  I doubt that Spectre is to
|>blame
|>for the slowness and crashing.  It may be that he was just using an
|>unrefined pre-release version--or maybe Apple really messed up on
|>System 7.
|>I suppose one should check it out before getting it for their Spectre
|>(or
|>Mac, for that matter).

Well, I haven't gotten SYS7 yet but everyone in the Mac conferences
who has used it says it is great, more stable, and (sometimes) faster.

Chad Leigh
Brigham Young University / on leave from DEC
chad@yvax.byu.edu /  chad@norge.enet.dec.com

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (05/15/91)

silvert%biome@cs.dal.ca writes:
> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>>Someone just told me that System 7 for the Mac is now
>>officially available (this was not an official source).  I
>>can't imagine anyone already having checked out a copy on
>>Spectre, but it would be great to hear from them if they did.
>>In any event, it would be great to hear about compatibility
>>if/when someone finds out.

>Looks like Apple beat Small to the punch.  Has anyone got their GCR 3.0
>upgrade yet?  I ordered mine ages ago.

I've had mine for months.  Yes, it was an upgrade and not a new purchase.
--
 "I'm sorry.                            |    Il Hwan Oh
  If you were right,                    |    University of Washington, Tacoma

carter@cat23.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (05/15/91)

Unfortuneatly, System 7.0 doesn't work with the latest version of Dave Small's
software version 3.0.

Although the boot up error is quite trivial, and you don't get a crash
page just a missing resource box from the installation.

--Gregory

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (05/15/91)

In article <9105141732.AA19207@cwns10.INS.CWRU.Edu> aq009@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:
>At the Windsor Atari show, Dave Small said that he had tested System 7 on
>Spectre.  It works, but he called the System 7 software "a dog."  He said
>it was terribly slow and crashed often.  I doubt that Spectre is to blame
>for the slowness and crashing.  It may be that he was just using an
>unrefined pre-release version--or maybe Apple really messed up on System 7.
>I suppose one should check it out before getting it for their Spectre (or
>Mac, for that matter).
>   __    David Johnson    Michigan State University
>  /  \ ___     ___
> /   //__/|  //__         aq009@cleveland.freenet.edu
>/___//  / |_//__          djohnson@ibm.cl.msu.edu
After my original post, I saw System 7 in a store and it
wasn't terribly slow...and I didn't see it crash.  It would be
interesting to know if Dave checked it out on a "regular"
Spectre or on a machine with his 68030 board in it...after
all, I saw it on a IIci.
--Gerry
ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (05/15/91)

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:

[re: Dave Small's comment that System 7 was a "dog"]

>After my original post, I saw System 7 in a store and it
>wasn't terribly slow...and I didn't see it crash.  It would be
>interesting to know if Dave checked it out on a "regular"
>Spectre or on a machine with his 68030 board in it...after
>all, I saw it on a IIci.

If I remember correctly, Dave has a IIfx.  I don't think he'd base
his evaluation solely on his GCR on an ST (with or without a '30 board).
--

baffoni@aludra.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) (05/15/91)

In article <9105141732.AA19207@cwns10.INS.CWRU.Edu> aq009@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:

>At the Windsor Atari show, Dave Small said that he had tested System 7 on
>Spectre.  It works, but he called the System 7 software "a dog."  He said
>it was terribly slow and crashed often.  I doubt that Spectre is to blame
>for the slowness and crashing.  It may be that he was just using an
>unrefined pre-release version--or maybe Apple really messed up on System 7.
>I suppose one should check it out before getting it for their Spectre (or
>Mac, for that matter).

	It must have been a beta-version.  Nobody (except the guys who made it)
had the "golden copy" of system7 any earlier than a week or so before the
official release.  If it was the sys7b4 release, it runs like a dog on even
Mac computers :).  However, this makes me wonder:  will the SST and the TT be
able to take advantage of the Virtual Memory handling of sys7?  I ask this
because (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) I believe that Spectre (all
versions) emulate the Mac Plus, so if the sys7 uses system calls to determine
the hardware it is being run on, then maybe it will think it is using a 68k
rather than an '030 and therefore be unable to use the PMMU of the '030.

	BTW, Dave (or anyone else in the know), have you fixed the TT cart.
port problem?  I _think_ that was the problem that people were having
running Spectre 3.0 on TTs ... (again, correct me if I'm wrong....).

>--
>   __    David Johnson    Michigan State University
>  /  \ ___     ___
> /   //__/|  //__         aq009@cleveland.freenet.edu
>/___//  / |_//__          djohnson@ibm.cl.msu.edu

 -Mike

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (05/17/91)

In article <9105141732.AA19207@cwns10.INS.CWRU.Edu>
aq009@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (David A. Johnson) writes:
> At the Windsor Atari show, Dave Small said that he had tested System 7 on
> Spectre.  It works, but he called the System 7 software "a dog."  He said
> it was terribly slow and crashed often.

 Don't forget that Dave was probably using a developer's version which
still has lots of debugging code in it which makes it much slower than
the release version (oy, you should have seen early versions of HC2,
boy were slow!)
 From experience, it runs as fast as 6.07 and doesn't crash as much.
It certainly has a much nicer interface. How fast it runs on a Plus/Classic
I just don't know. Anyway, I'm sure that Mr. Small will get it running
on Spectre sooner or later.
 On the subject of getting virtual memory to work under system 7, I think
some of the '030 boards for the SE and Plus will give the machine virtual
capabilities under system 7 and since they are using the same roms(or
similar as in the SE's case) that might bode well for '030 equipped ST's.

 Oh, I got my Spectre 3.0 upgrade several months ago.

Marshall

-> Internet: mjv@brownvm.brown.edu
"He had found the perfect TV mix, on Marvin's Hour of Power.
 (The show that put the FUN back into fundamentalist)."
   -- Neil Gaiman; Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of
     Agnes Nutter, Witch

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (05/17/91)

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) writes:

> On the subject of getting virtual memory to work under system 7, I think
>some of the '030 boards for the SE and Plus will give the machine virtual
>capabilities under system 7 and since they are using the same roms(or
>similar as in the SE's case) that might bode well for '030 equipped ST's.

I thought that you needed a memory chip of some sort other to get virtual
memory on a Mac.

> Oh, I got my Spectre 3.0 upgrade several months ago.

Me, too.
--
 "I'm sorry.                            |    Il Hwan Oh
  If you were right,                    |    University of Washington, Tacoma
  I would agree with you."              |    iho@cac.washington.edu
   -- Dr. Malcolm Sayer, _Awakenings_   |

mc4c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Choi) (05/18/91)

Why is it that hard to imagine? I tried out the developers beta edition
3 months ago. It crashes:^( . It does not do a total system crash
though. it puts upt the following dialogue:

Unimplemented trap (plus some other grarbage) and then it hangs itself.
If this is the onlything wrong, this is a major easy fix. Let's go DAVE!

			-mark-

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (05/19/91)

I am about to install the System 7 into my Spectre within 8 hours, from
original installation disk set.
I'll tell you about the results as soon as I can.

				Jartsu

* Jari Lehto     *     90-387939      * Jari.Lehto@hut.fi     * Music, love & *
* Tenavatie 19 A *     90-382887      * jartsu@vipunen.hut.fi * friendship!   *
* 00760 HELSINKI *    94040/02887     * jartsu@otax.hut.fi    * Garlic, beer &*
* Finland	 * fax +358 0 8735916 * s37837k@saha.hut.fi   * sausage!      *

Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com (05/19/91)

I'd argue if Sys 7 is faster. It sure isn't faster in switching windows
on the IIcx I use at work. It drags after 6.0.7. It _is_ neat in that I
hardly ever have to use the mouse. It has keyboard methods for running
icons, opening window, etc., etc., as well as help 'baloons' for green
green beginners. I'll be working with it as soon as my critical application
programs are upgraded (the main pain in swithching to 7 for cuent users of
the mac), slower or not, I like it better. On Plus type machines, what the
GCR emulates, it is so slow I don't think anyone would want to use it.

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May18.191852.24736@nntp.hut.fi> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:

>I am about to install the System 7 into my Spectre within 8 hours, from
>original installation disk set.
>I'll tell you about the results as soon as I can.

Here are the results:

It can be installed with no problems (when you try, make a backup at least
of your System Folder) but it crashes on bootup. Or does not start, actually.
No crashpage comes up ay the first time. But when you follow the instructions
given in that error message, you will definitely call up the crashpage.
It makes something unrecoverable, because after trying once, you won't get
anywhere with it withhout a hardware reset...

I tested it on a Mega4, TT may give different results.

...We are waiting for you, Dave...

chad@oscar.cs.byu.edu (Chad) (05/20/91)

--
Now running Sys7 on my Mac LC with 10 meg RAM and upgraded video RAM (ie,
256 colors at 640x480).  It is slower than 6.0.7, but I am now running

Of course, I am on a 16mz 68020.  Id hate to see it on a 1040 plus GCR.
(then again,
I thought my plus was kind of slow...)