[comp.sys.atari.st] Mouse Virus

NCOYNE@ESOC.BITNET (05/15/91)

Well hello
Listen I ve got the dreaded mouse pointer reversal virus. I need to
stamp out this beasty.
So I need sugestions on the best way to clean already infected disks.
I had an idea that mabe the virus could be edited off the disk?.
All pointers towards a solution are welcome.
Nick Coyne
NCOYNE@ESOC>BITNET
These are my opinions only I think ?.

eudyeudy@bluemoon.uucp (Scott Eudy) (05/16/91)

<NCOYNE@ESOC.BITNET> writes:

> Well hello
> Listen I ve got the dreaded mouse pointer reversal virus. I need to
> stamp out this beasty.
> So I need sugestions on the best way to clean already infected disks.
> I had an idea that mabe the virus could be edited off the disk?.
> All pointers towards a solution are welcome.
> Nick Coyne
> NCOYNE@ESOC>BITNET
> These are my opinions only I think ?.

Try getting a V- Killer program I that should work the best....

I think that they are up to version 3.5
you could probably get the program off any bbs in your area or go to a
store and look in the public domain section of ST software

Hope this helps

Scott D. Eudy
Chairman Explorer Officers Association Central Ohio Division
Vice President Explorer Post 891
eudyeudy@bluemoon.uucp

| I own an Atari ST and you don't | Give me a million dollars            |
|                                 | and I'll be rich                     |
| "This space for rent"           | Give me two million and I'll         |

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (05/16/91)

In article <91135.161802NCOYNE@ESOC.BITNET> NCOYNE@ESOC.BITNET writes:

>Well hello
>Listen I ve got the dreaded mouse pointer reversal virus. I need to
>stamp out this beasty.
>So I need sugestions on the best way to clean already infected disks.
>I had an idea that mabe the virus could be edited off the disk?.
>All pointers towards a solution are welcome.

Yeah, you can just erase the boot sector and that should solve your problem.
Be sure to reboot then, with a clean disk.

Or you can pick up a copy of George Woodside's Virus Killer at atari.archive.
The latest version is 3.84.  The filename is vkill384.lzh, I think.

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261
         TWO WEEKS UNTIL GRADUATION!!

mforget@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Michel Forget) (05/16/91)

NCOYNE@ESOC.BITNET writes:
> Listen I ve got the dreaded mouse pointer reversal virus. I need to
> stamp out this beasty.

Okay:

     (1) Re-Boot your system with no disk in the disk drive.
     (2) When you get to GEM, format a disk.  Use this to boot from now
         on.
     (3) Call a BBS, or download from atari.archives, a Virus Killer.
         Use the program on all of your disks.

When you have cleaned all of your disks using a Virus Killer, then you
will not need to use the boot disk from step to.  You can go back to
doing things the way you did before the Virus.  Also, if you find out how
you got the Virus, please let us know.

Note:  The Atari Virus Killer 4.00GB detects Link Virus programs, which
are Virus' that get executed when you run certain files you download.
So, try to get the Atari Virus Killer.

<<  ersys!mforget@nro.cs.athabascau.ca  >>
<<  or in the language that PEOPLE use  >>
<<  Michel Forget...:)                  >>

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (05/17/91)

In article <Tu1Z21w164w@bluemoon.uucp> eudyeudy@bluemoon.uucp (Scott Eudy) writes:
|  Try getting a V- Killer program I that should work the best....
|
|  I think that they are up to version 3.5

version 3.84 is available from atari.archive.
--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

dpg@cs.nott.ac.uk (Dave Gymer) (05/20/91)

In article <a1R121w164w@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca> mforget@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Michel Forget) writes:
>NCOYNE@ESOC.BITNET writes:
>> Listen I ve got the dreaded mouse pointer reversal virus. I need to
>> stamp out this beasty.
>
>Okay:
>
>     (1) Re-Boot your system with no disk in the disk drive.
>     (2) When you get to GEM, format a disk.  Use this to boot from now
>         on.

Add a step:
(2a) write-protect this disk. It never hurts to be cautious.

>     (3) Call a BBS, or download from atari.archives, a Virus Killer.
>         Use the program on all of your disks.
--
/* 'Grave' Dave Gymer --------- Internet: dpg@Cs.Nott.AC.UK *\
+* 42 St Marys Park, Louth, Lincolnshire, LN11 0EF, England *+