[comp.sys.atari.st] To post or not to post....

HEIMBIG@WSUVM1.BITNET (Bruce Heimbigner) (06/08/89)

I know it is considered rude or against the rules, but please keep on
posting programs to the discussion list, otherwise many of us will never
get a chance to use them.

Thanks
 Bruce Heimbigner
Email:                    Snail mail:
 HEIMBIG@WSUVM1.bitnet      N.W. 324 True Street
OR                          Pullman WA 99163-3347 (USA)
 BIX:bheimbigner  (but I don't get on here very often)
(IBM=International Business Marketing corp, they don't make machines
 they market products)  ***Hey, that stuff up there is just my opinion***

weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) (05/15/91)

Ok folks, here's the deal:  Would anyone be interested in us
posting uploads for the past week to comp.sys.atari.st?

What I'm referring to is our New* files.  Each week, they roll over and
essenstially keep a list of all new stuff in the past month that has
entered the archive.

Does anyone think this should be posted?  Or, is mail service via
bart and ftp availability enough?

Please lemme know, via mail or through this group.  We're not even
going to pretend to run an offical call for votes, just an
informal thing.

weiner

--
Jeff Weiner  --- weiner@{{sklyab,felix}.engin, atari.archive}.umich.edu
Meet my mom and dad : {tom,diane}_weiner@ub.cc.umich.edu, but be nice.....

weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) (05/16/91)

Well, the gist of my mail seems to be that most people would be interested
in :

1. Creating a new newsgroup to post things like the new uploads list
or
2. Posting it to comp.binaries.atari.st

Problems I forsee with this:
1. People who receive c.s.a.st in digest form completely miss out
on good info.....
2. Why bother Steve Grimm?
3. There would hardly be enough traffic in a new group to warrant
it's existence
4. I don't feel like getting a new group created :)

Comments, ideas, etc. here or to me please....

weiner

--

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.163217.6142@terminator.cc.umich.edu> weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) writes:

>Ok folks, here's the deal:  Would anyone be interested in us
>posting uploads for the past week to comp.sys.atari.st?

At least I am. It is not recommended to use overseas connections for just
checkin if there is something new...

>Does anyone think this should be posted?  Or, is mail service via
>bart and ftp availability enough?

It should definitely be posted! Information is useless until delivered...

>Meet my mom and dad : {tom,diane}_weiner@ub.cc.umich.edu, but be nice.....

I promise to be. But they have to be too...

				Jartsu
* Jari Lehto     *     90-387939      * Jari.Lehto@hut.fi     * Music, love & *
* Tenavatie 19 A *     90-382887      * jartsu@vipunen.hut.fi * friendship!   *
* 00760 HELSINKI *    94040/02887     * jartsu@otax.hut.fi    * Garlic, beer &*
* Finland	 * fax +358 0 8735916 * s37837k@saha.hut.fi   * sausage!      *

mforget@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Michel Forget) (05/17/91)

weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) writes:

> Ok folks, here's the deal:  Would anyone be interested in us
> posting uploads for the past week to comp.sys.atari.st?

I think that would be a great idea.  It would be nice to have a somewhat
constant report of what is available without having to request the Index
just to see what is new.  Great idea you have, there.

<<  ersys!mforget@nro.cs.athabascau.ca  >>
<<  or in the language that PEOPLE use  >>
<<  Michel Forget...:)                  >>

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (05/17/91)

weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) writes:

|Ok folks, here's the deal:  Would anyone be interested in us
|posting uploads for the past week to comp.sys.atari.st?

I would!

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                       %
    % Hewlett-Packard - Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (05/17/91)

In article <a6y221w164w@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca> mforget@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Michel Forget) writes:
|  I think that would be a great idea.  It would be nice to have a somewhat
|  constant report of what is available without having to request the Index
|  just to see what is new.  Great idea you have, there.

There are always the files New0, New1, etc.  which resume the recent
changes at atari.archive.

I also am for such a weekly posting.
--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

spa@fct.unl.pt (Salvador Pinto Abreu) (05/17/91)

Iy would  be nice if  such postings were  automated, and in  a regular
format, for instance, a constant subject line. This way `rkive' can be
used   effectively  to keep a  systematic   log  of new  downloads  on
terminator.
--
-- Salvador Pinto Abreu		spa@fct.unl.pt
				Universidade Nova de Lisboa, PORTUGAL

paulm@dorjam.UUCP (Owner and User) (05/18/91)

   Yes!  I would like to see a list.   With the current signal to noise ratio,
   I don't think this would be much of a bother to anyone.

----
Paul Moreau
----

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May15.163217.6142@terminator.cc.umich.edu>, weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) writes:

>Ok folks, here's the deal:  Would anyone be interested in us
>posting uploads for the past week to comp.sys.atari.st?
>
>What I'm referring to is our New* files.  Each week, they roll over and
>essenstially keep a list of all new stuff in the past month that has
>entered the archive.
>
>Does anyone think this should be posted?  Or, is mail service via
>bart and ftp availability enough?

Please do post this information.  I consider atari.archive to be an integral
part of this group (hey, what are we paying you anyway :-), and any information
about it should be posted without hesitation.
--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear

AlexK@tharr.UUCP (Alex Kiernan) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May15.163217.6142@terminator.cc.umich.edu> weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) writes:

>Ok folks, here's the deal:  Would anyone be interested in us
>posting uploads for the past week to comp.sys.atari.st?

I'd be very interested in this, I'm not on as often as I'd like and so
its easy to miss things. Also could you post instructions on getting
at things via mail on a regular basis, again I have all sorts of
problems with this (usually hosts justs ignoring my pleas for help :-(

Alex.
--
<-- tharr *free* public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 841503 -->

D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Halliday) (05/20/91)

Yup, I think posting a list of the weeks uploads is a good idea.
I also think think that you should maintain an ls -lR listing of
the archive as well as the commented listing. This enables far
away users with poor news feed the ability to find out what
software and online mags are new by diffing the last listing
they downloaded with the new listing.

Dave H
(D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk)