[comp.sys.atari.st] GCC compile error

bferrer@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU (05/09/91)

   After downloading the gcc compiler and getting very thing ready,  I came
across another problem.  When I type in gulam gcc -v hello.c, I get an error:

can't find d:\tmp/cc100000.s

or something like that.  gcc created a file that has a slash in the filename
which does not exist how can i fix this error.

thanks in advance,

bill ferrer

ps thanks for your help from the previous problem.

ZVD007@DMSWWU1C.BITNET (Ulrich Kuehn) (05/13/91)

In article <9105082156.aa25310@Bonnie.ics.uci.edu>, bferrer@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU
says:

>   After downloading the gcc compiler and getting very thing ready,  I came
>across another problem.  When I type in gulam gcc -v hello.c, I get an error:
>
>can't find d:\tmp/cc100000.s
>
>or something like that.  gcc created a file that has a slash in the filename
>which does not exist how can i fix this error.

Did you create the directory d:\tmp?

U.Kuehn

wolfram@akela.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Wolfram Roesler) (05/15/91)

bferrer@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:

>can't find d:\tmp/cc100000.s

I had that problem too. It seems that gcc had not fully been ported from
Unix, so some filespecs still use slashes.
However, the slashes arent really the problem since TOS can deal with
filenames containing slashes. So, the file mentioned above would have
the name `tmp/cc100000.s' and be in the root directory of drive d.
Since the part of the filename is longer than 8 chars, TOS runs into
trouble.

I didnt find a solution (maybe patching gcc.ttp could help). Try to get
hold of a newer gcc version (I have one that works).

Sorry

Wolfram

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (05/15/91)

In article <wolfram.674308449@akela>, wolfram@akela.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Wolfram Roesler) writes:
> bferrer@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:
>
> >can't find d:\tmp/cc100000.s
>
> I had that problem too. It seems that gcc had not fully been ported from
> Unix, so some filespecs still use slashes.
> However, the slashes arent really the problem since TOS can deal with
> filenames containing slashes. So, the file mentioned above would have
> the name `tmp/cc100000.s' and be in the root directory of drive d.
> Since the part of the filename is longer than 8 chars, TOS runs into
> trouble.
As nobody has asked me to post my own port of GNU C, I'll be just guessing
what has happened, but excuse me. It seems the environment string of TMPDIR
or something is set as 'd:\tmp' instead of 'd:/tmp' or the compiler expects
to be under some master such as MiNT or something which converts the filename
delimiter (just guess).
I didn't know that TOS accepted slashes! I have thought only the newish
DESKTOP command interpreter did so. Oh, no. Wolfram says slashes are part
of the filename, not the delimiter. Quite right.

The filenames are usually stored somewhere called filename pools that cope
with arbitrarily long names, various mount devices, file name links, symbolic
links etc. Therefore the unix style filenames have very little in common with
the 'real' name stored in the conventional part of the media called directory.

The filename pools can exist as part of the library or supplied by the
operating system (command line interpreter can incorporate them) which could
be running under some native OS such as TOS.

Ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp

entropy@gnu.ai.mit.edu (maximum entropy) (05/16/91)

In article <wolfram.674308449@akela> wolfram@akela.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Wolfram Roesler) writes:

>bferrer@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:

>>can't find d:\tmp/cc100000.s

>I had that problem too. It seems that gcc had not fully been ported from
>Unix, so some filespecs still use slashes.
>However, the slashes arent really the problem since TOS can deal with
>filenames containing slashes. So, the file mentioned above would have
>the name `tmp/cc100000.s' and be in the root directory of drive d.
>Since the part of the filename is longer than 8 chars, TOS runs into
>trouble.

>I didnt find a solution (maybe patching gcc.ttp could help). Try to get
>hold of a newer gcc version (I have one that works).

The problem is the GCCEXEC variable being set or not set at all.  RTFR
that came with the program to learn how to set the var correctly.

Example (for GULAM):
setenv GCCEXEC d:/gccbin/gcc-

The error message is misleading (read: wrong) and the problem has
nothing to do with the temp file.

--
			  entropy@gnu.ai.mit.edu
	entropy. . .it's not just a good idea, it's the second law.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (05/17/91)

wolfram@akela.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Wolfram Roesler) writes:
>I had that problem too. It seems that gcc had not fully been ported from
>Unix, so some filespecs still use slashes.
>However, the slashes arent really the problem since TOS can deal with
>filenames containing slashes.

This is not the case.  TOS can't deal with filenames containing slashes.
What CAN deal with them is programs compiled with Bammi's GCC libraries (or
the MiNT libraries, which is almost the same thing).

This guy's problem is that drive D: doesn't contain a directory called tmp
in its root.

bammi@acae127.cadence.com (Jwahar R. Bammi) (05/20/91)

the GCC-TOS library handles the '/' (automatically) and long file
names(optionall), so "d:\tmp/cc100000.s" will map to the file
"d:\tmp\cc100000.s". if you get errors such as cant find.... etc.
there are two common problems (these should probably be added to the
FAQ list)

 -- you extracted the gcc zoo archives with a old version of ZOO. that
version of zoo extracts '-' in file names as '_' (dash as underscore).
this causes problems when gcc.ttp tries to run say the preprocessor,
which it cannot find, and complains that the file the preprocessor was
supposed to produce is not found. the solution is to rename all files
"gcc_XXX.ttp" to "gcc-XXX.ttp". (i dont know what versions of zoo are
available on atari.archive, but zoo201.zoo does'nt have the problem.)

-- another common problem is people not setting up the four
environment variable GCCEXEC, GNUINC, GNULIB and TEMP correctly.

-- a less frequent problem is gulam users not setting "set env_style mw"

-- a slightly bigger problem is people not reading the docs in
Documentation.zoo

-- a more serious problem is people giving wrong advice on the net
based on (unintelligent) guesses or showing quite obviously that they
have'nt even bothered to read the README files, let alone the
documentation, as the last two follow up's to the origonal posting
clearly show.
bang:   uunet!cadence!bammi			jwahar r. bammi
domain: bammi@cadence.com
GEnie:	J.Bammi
CIS:    71515,155