[comp.sys.atari.st] gcc 139 from atari.archive

Mick_Schmidt@hb.maus.de (Mick Schmidt) (05/15/91)

Hi everybody,

now that the cc1 is also available at a.a. I started to test the compiler by
running the gcc.ttp.
The results weren't very satisfying.

When I run gcc with the -v Option I get the following.

gcc version 1.39
 cpp -v -undef -D__GNUC__ -Datarist -Dgem -Dm68k -D__atarist__ -D__gem__
               -D__m68k__ golforga.c /tmp/cc100000.cpp
gcc: /tmp/cc100000.cpp: file not found

I presume cpp tries to create the temporary file but fails because of the
slash's which should be backslash's?!?

If I use cpp directly it can't find the include files, although I've set
GNULIB and GNUINC.

What am I doing wrong?
Just to stupid or has anyone else problems like that?

G'Day Mick
--
Michael Schmidt       | Mausnet: Mick Schmidt @ HB             | Hear me now
Kopenhagener Str. 145 | Fido   : Mick Schmidt%Maus HB (242/2.6)| and believe

entropy@gnu.ai.mit.edu (maximum entropy) (05/18/91)

In article <60536@hb.maus.de> Mick_Schmidt@hb.maus.de (Mick Schmidt) writes:

>When I run gcc with the -v Option I get the following.

>gcc version 1.39
> cpp -v -undef -D__GNUC__ -Datarist -Dgem -Dm68k -D__atarist__ -D__gem__
		  -D__m68k__ golforga.c /tmp/cc100000.cpp
>gcc: /tmp/cc100000.cpp: file not found

>I presume cpp tries to create the temporary file but fails because of the
>slash's which should be backslash's?!?

Many people have had this problem, including me initially.  You must
set the environment variable GCCEXEC to be the path to the binaries
plus the initial part of the names.  For example, my cpp is
C:/gnu/bin/gcc-cc1.ttp so my GCCEXEC definition for Gulam is:

setenv GCCEXEC c:/gnu/bin/gcc-

If my cpp were just C:/gnu/bin/cc1.ttp then the definition would be

setenv GCCEXEC c:/gnu/bin/
                         ^ note the ending slash.

For some reason the wrong error message is printed in this instance,
and if you think you've set everything else up correctly, this is the
most likely source of the problem.

This really should be in the faq posting if it isn't already.  Could
whoever is maintaining it put a note in about this?

--
			  entropy@gnu.ai.mit.edu
	entropy. . .it's not just a good idea, it's the second law.

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (05/21/91)

In article <ENTROPY.91May18063243@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu>, entropy@gnu.ai.mit.edu (maximum entropy) writes:
> setenv GCCEXEC c:/gnu/bin/gcc-

> This really should be in the faq posting if it isn't already.  Could
> whoever is maintaining it put a note in about this?

It already is.  Also note that the original posting about "Getting GCC 1.39
up and running" (which I posted about a month ago) also has GCCEXEC plainly
definied with a trailing '-' ... primarily because this is the way that the
GNU.G file for the Gulam shell was set up.

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu