[comp.sys.atari.st] Arcgsh

klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (06/01/90)

I just mailed Arcgsh V3.0 to Steven Grimm, the moderator of
comp.binaries.atari.st. So it will show up in that newsgroup really soon
now. To let you know what Arcgsh offers here is an extract from the
README file:

Arcgsh  is  a program that eases the calling  of  the  well-known
archivers Zoo,  Arc, LHarc and Shar. Furthermore the programs Uud
and Uue are supported to let you decode resp. encode binary files
for handling with e-mail.  You can use your favorite file  viewer
and  your favorite editor from Arcgsh without any need  to  leave
the program.

With  Arcgsh it is no longer neccessary to start a  command-line-
shell,  "cd"  to  the directory where your archive  file  is  (or
should be created),  remember the various archiver options  (each
archiver has it's own set of options),  type them in and  finally
start the program. With Arcgsh you can handle everything with GEM
objects:  Dialog  boxes  let  you  select  program  options,  and
filenames  are comfortably selected using the GEM  file  selector
box.

Arcgsh  serves  especially well for uudecoding and  unarcing  any
stuff  received from computer networks.   The  programs  ZOO.TTP,
ARC.TTP,  LHARC.TTP,  UUD.TTP, UUE.TTP, and SHAR.TTP are not part
of the Arcgsh distribution. You have to get them elsewhere.

New in this version:
      -  LHarc is supported.
      -  Arc version 6.02 is supported.  (The former version  was
         5.21.)
      -  Again  a  new  and  very  different  configuration  file
         format.  You cannot use your old configuration file  any
         more.  Please create a new one!  (A conversion aid  from
         old to new format is not given.)
      -  Documentation is in LaTeX format now.
      -  A huge bunch of internal code revirement has been  done.
         Some of it you will notice:  TOS 1.4 support,  the  file
         selection handler (a la Zoo dialog box) for all programs
         (except Uud and Uue).

  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500         |)|/    ...uunet!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50        |\|\    Tel.: +49 231 755-4663

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (05/10/91)

In article <6783008@nathan.ruhr.de>, ue@nathan.ruhr.de (Udo Erdelhoff) writes:
|> are you currently planning to support UNARJ, UNZIP or the soon coming
|> STZip??
|> It seems that we ST-users are climbing up the ladder of aviable
|> archivers,
|> all we need is some good gui to make life easier...

The next release of Arcgsh will offer a graphical user interface for tar
and compress. Futher Arcgsh versions may provide support for additional
archivers, provided of course that running versions of the archivers in
question exist for the ST.

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (05/11/91)

In article <3244@laura.UUCP> klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:
> In article <6783008@nathan.ruhr.de>, ue@nathan.ruhr.de (Udo Erdelhoff) writes:
> |> are you currently planning to support UNARJ, UNZIP or the soon coming
> |> STZip??
> The next release of Arcgsh will offer a graphical user interface for tar
> and compress. Futher Arcgsh versions may provide support for additional
> archivers, provided of course that running versions of the archivers in
> question exist for the ST.
>   Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
>   Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
>   Postfach 500500         |)|/    Tel.: +49 231 755-4663
> D-4600 Dortmund 50        |\|\    Fax : +49 231 755-2386

Well I do hope we get better support for LZH. ie. like  support for
lzh11318, or with the possibility to select the command line for the
different LZH's.

I have fould some problems Arcgsh with ZOO, things did not work and
ended up using ZooBoy

Why is it we have all these problems with LZH. like number of files
that can be lzh, and only 2 folders deep,
Are there lzh's programs that don't have such severe limitations, or is
this a design limit of lzh.?.
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May11.130035.14361@actrix.gen.nz>,
Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:
|> Well I do hope we get better support for LZH. ie. like  support for
|> lzh11318, or with the possibility to select the command line for the
|> different LZH's.

Oh, well, yes, I hope that someday we get a single LHarc everybody can
agree on. Surely Arcgsh will support it. I am really frustrated about those
many different incompatible versions and won't support the whole bunch.

|> I have fould some problems Arcgsh with ZOO, things did not work and
|> ended up using ZooBoy

Could you please give me some details about your problem? It works pretty
fine for me.

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500         |)|/    Tel.: +49 231 755-4663
D-4600 Dortmund 50        |\|\    Fax : +49 231 755-2386

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (05/15/91)

Since there seem to be necessary 2 versions of ARC and at least 3 or 4
of the LHARC family, can the next ARCGSH allow for multiple LHARCs and
2 ARCs?  I have not found a single LHARC program which tests/extracts
atari.archive or posted *.lzh files.  Grr!!
--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

Thomas_Quester@hh.maus.de (Thomas Quester) (05/16/91)

RK>Oh, well, yes, I hope that someday we get a single LHarc everybody can
RK>agree on. Surely Arcgsh will support it. I am really frustrated about those
RK>many different incompatible versions and won't support the whole bunch.

We don't have SO many different incompatible LHarc-Versions, there only is
one: the LHarc 0.6ss by John Webb. All other versions are compatible to
the orignal (some including more features than the orginal).

--

 Thomas Quester
 Lampenland 9

Wozu brauchte man eigentlich Erdnuesse, als es noch kein Fernsehen gab?

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (05/22/91)

In article <3601@hh.maus.de> Thomas_Quester@hh.maus.de (Thomas Quester) writes:

|  We don't have SO many different incompatible LHarc-Versions, there only is
|  one: the LHarc 0.6ss by John Webb. All other versions are compatible to
|  the orignal (some including more features than the orginal).

So, where is this one available?  Last night I came across a file I
downloaded from atari.archive and all my versions of ST lharc would
bomb on it.  A common problem that I find is if an *.lzh archive
contains a small uncompressed file (as does orbit.lzh) the Atari ST
versions that I have blow up when testing/extracting the archive.  As
best as I remember I have lharc version 1.02 (from Unix), a few based
on lharc 1.13c and one based on lharc 1.13b.

P.S.  Our Unix versions accept the above mentioned file.