[comp.sys.atari.st] Hookup through stereo system?

slqn0@cc.usu.edu (05/19/91)

	Is there a fairly easy way to run the sound from a 1040ST through a
stereo system?  Can it be done through the MIDI ports?  I was just looking a
friend's Amiga, and thought how much better Atari sound would be if it could be
hooked up in a similar fashion.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hoyt J. Heaton             SLQN0@cc.usu.edu

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (05/19/91)

In article <1991May18.153315.47847@cc.usu.edu> slqn0@cc.usu.edu writes:

>	Is there a fairly easy way to run the sound from a 1040ST through a
>stereo system?  Can it be done through the MIDI ports?  I was just looking a
>friend's Amiga, and thought how much better Atari sound would be if it could be
>hooked up in a similar fashion.

The best way to get stereo out of your ST is to get an STe.  They have
RCA jacks in the back for right and left stereo, 8-bit PCM channels.

There's also a product for older STs called Tweety Board.  It connects to
the Yamaha chip and splits the 3 voices into three RCA jacks, which you
can connect to your stereo.  They include a Y-adapter to combine two of
the three outputs.  I've heard that digitized sound is difficult to
understand with the Tweety Board.

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261
         ONE WEEK UNTIL GRADUATION!!

thaanuj@prism.cs.orst.edu (John Thaanum) (05/19/91)

In article <1991May19.023447.6807@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>In article <1991May18.153315.47847@cc.usu.edu> slqn0@cc.usu.edu writes:
>>
>>	Is there a fairly easy way to run the sound from a 1040ST through a
>>stereo system?  Can it be done through the MIDI ports?  I was just looking a
>>friend's Amiga, and thought how much better Atari sound would be if it could be
>>hooked up in a similar fashion.
>>

>The best way to get stereo out of your ST is to get an STe.  They have
>RCA jacks in the back for right and left stereo, 8-bit PCM channels.
>
>There's also a product for older STs called Tweety Board.  It connects to
>the Yamaha chip and splits the 3 voices into three RCA jacks, which you
>can connect to your stereo.  They include a Y-adapter to combine two of
>the three outputs.  I've heard that digitized sound is difficult to
>understand with the Tweety Board.

The Tweety board is overrated.  It absolutely mangles all digitized sound,
and normal sound isn't improved that much.  If you have an amplifier that
can handle three separate channels, then the Tweety board may be worth it, but
otherwise, it is impractical.

John Thaanum   		thaanuj@prism.cs.orst.edu

ZVD007@DMSWWU1C.BITNET (Ulrich Kuehn) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May18.153315.47847@cc.usu.edu>, slqn0@cc.usu.edu says:

>        Is there a fairly easy way to run the sound from a 1040ST through a
>stereo system?  Can it be done through the MIDI ports?  I was just looking a
>friend's Amiga, and thought how much better Atari sound would be if it could
>be
>hooked up in a similar fashion.

It can be done, but not with the MIDI port: the sound of the soundchip is
available at a pin at the monitor port (the manual says whichone it is, I cant
remember it now), so all you have to do is just plug in an interfacebox
(selfmade) or put a cynch-plug into you atari (I have done so) connecting it
with the outputpin at the monitor plug, its really easy to do and it sounds
great!!

U. Kuehn

lch3e@holmes.acc.Virginia.EDU (Lauren C. Howard) (05/23/91)

Those who have the Magnavox ST-compatible monitor have
the sound running on a separate RCA jack.  This can
easily hook to a stereo thru a y-adaptor; while not
IN-stereo, it comes out thru the stereo, and sounds
terrific!  Not quite an Amiga, but good nonetheless.
The music at the start of the game BAAL is the best
I've heard; the guitar sounds very real.

I imagine another cable could be built for use with the
SC1224 Atari monitor, that has a separate sound jack; but
you'd have to get inside the monitor to hook it up.