[comp.sys.atari.st] Emulators

LCQ@PSUVMA.BITNET (Me) (09/20/87)

Hello,
     I was wondering if any can help me.  I have heard so much said about
  the 8-bit machine emulators for the ST.  Would someone be ablt to tell
  me where i could get them?  Or maybe even send them to me over the net.
  My address is LCQ@PSUECLA - the adress in the header is not net
  adressable so this is my other one.
     Any help on the subject is greatly appreciated.

                                         Thanks,
                                              JJ Lehett
                                        (LCQ@PSUECLA)

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (06/18/89)

I tried to send this E-mail, but as usual, it bounced (I have NO idea
why, but I have seen 99% of my messages bounce back).

Here's a quick run-down of the emulators you mentioned:

1) SPECTRE 128:  Really good Macintosh emulator.  It's a cartridge that
   you buy for $150.  You also have to buy the Mac ROMS to
   put in it (it is illegal for Gadgets by Small to put them in there
   when they sell you the cart).  These go for $100.

   The emulator itself is VERY good.  It runs faster than a Mac (about
   20% faster), and has pretty good compatibility.  The one problem
   with it is that reading Mac disks is impossible.

1a) SPECTRE GCR:  This is a brand new version (due out VERY SOON in the
    US) that is also a cartridge.  However, you can plug a disk drive
    into this cartridge, and it will act just like a Mac drive!  This
    will sell for about $225.  You can also use your internal drive (if
    you have one), but I'm not sure how it is done.

2) PC DITTO:  The first version is/was software only.  It runs ALOT of
   software, but only at 1MHz.  It has been discontinued recently for
   a new version, but you can still find it for as low as $30!

2a) PC DITTO II:  A new hardware/software version.  The hardware is
    installed into the computer (I think it goes on the 68000).  It
    is VERY fast, running at about 10MHz!  Very nice device, and sells
    for about $225-$250.

Hope that helps.  I would suggest getting the PC DITTO II because of the
availability of PD software, and the fact you don't have to mess around
with getting the Mac ROMS and having special disk drives.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX                             | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
"Another brilliant mind ruined by higher education" | 3) Coke Classic

FRAJKOR@CARLETON.CA (01/10/90)

  I am puzzled by those who suggest that there is no point to buying
Mac / PC/ etc emulators because you can buy Messy-Dos machines sio
cheaply today.

   Personally, I would rather have a wife who is (a) sexy (b) intelligent
and (c) a hard worker than three who are one of each.  Even if you can
get the other two cheaply.
    Personal taste, of course.

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky CUST) (01/11/90)

In article <900109.20085072.014763@CU.CP6> "FRAJKOR/ATARISTUFF"%CARLETON.CA@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU writes:

>  I am puzzled by those who suggest that there is no point to buying
>Mac / PC/ etc emulators because you can buy Messy-Dos machines sio
>cheaply today.
>
>   Personally, I would rather have a wife who is (a) sexy (b) intelligent
>and (c) a hard worker than three who are one of each.  Even if you can
>get the other two cheaply.
>    Personal taste, of course.

There are some obvious good/bad points to "any" emulations (to date?)
In that One can use ONE computer and use the widest Range of software.
And, it's generally cheaper than buyin the real McCoys. In the case of
the PC, I agree, it's ridiculous to spend $300-$500 for a box that one
can buy for $300, and expand upon. And, PC prices still are not stabalized.
386's are comin way down, and 286's are BEST buys. In the case of the Mac,
Mac's are not cheap... Disadvantages are the lack of expanibility with
hardware (or shall I say of?). Someday, maybe Risc or some such nifty
gizmo will provide the best of all worlds. Myself, Well, When Dave Small
releases the latest version of the Spectre (the one that runs multifinder)
I'm gonna spring for one I think. It's simply a great buy. What I REALLY
wish is that apple would price down some stuff so "the rest of us" can
afford to expand/purchase/propogate the Mac. It's a great lil' machine.
And, an excellant example of what can REALLY be done w/ great software
engineering (as is the spectre). Also, I use Macs frequently, and its
frustrating not being able to afford the "usable" mac. BTW Dave, if you
see this! I have a few Qwik Questions about GCR.
1> Will GCR "ever" support the "coming!" System 7.0 software?
2> Does it have an extender port (for my Deskcart! <- When you help write it,
   it's always "there" know what I mean? hehehe)
3> Will GCR ever "evolve" in step w/ Macs (a totally inane questions, but
   I'm curious about it's future).
4> Does Think C run under GCR? (ie: The re-bugger uses MultiFinder)
5> Since I'm delving into Macdom more & more, how much Ram /HD does GCR
support?
6> I have an idea for a REAL ST winner (Maybe?). And, I have decided not
to code it. Maybe you'd be interested dave?

--
Jeff Gortatowsky-Eastman Kodak Company  .....rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
(use uuhosts or such to find path to rochester)

a254@mindlink.UUCP (Malcolm McDougall) (01/12/90)

> FRAJKOR writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <900109.20085072.014763@CU.CP6>
>
> Org.  : The Internet
>

>   I am puzzled by those who suggest that there is no point to buying
> Mac / PC/ etc emulators because you can buy Messy-Dos machines sio
> cheaply today.
>
>    Personally, I would rather have a wife who is (a) sexy (b) intelligent
> and (c) a hard worker than three who are one of each.  Even if you can
> get the other two cheaply.
>     Personal taste, of course.

Why not have ne of each? Then you could have one clean your house, talk to
another, while the third was doing other things to you.

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/01/90)

In article <1998@moscom.UUCP>, tmb@moscom.UUCP (Tom Bellucco) writes:
>Let's compare apples to apples here...it makes sense to want 3 seperarte
>items that perform their tasks perfectly than 1 item that performs 3 seperate
>tasks half-ass.
>
>Look at the list of software that wouldn't run on the Megas!  You bought a
>piece of software for an ancient IBM PC, it worked on a PS/2.  period.
>
>As for wives, the one you described is taken.  :-)
>
>--
> Tom Bellucco - moscom!tmb@cs.rochester.edu  or  {...}!rochester!moscom!tmb
>                    -------------------------------------
>   "Whatever I said, I didn't mean it...unless, of course, you liked it!"
>   #include <std.disclaimer>

Ah, such a simple answer for such a complex question.  I would say that it
makes sense to emulate a mac on an ST, because it does an equal or BETTER
job of it than the mac itself about 99% of the time, for much less money.
If you want to do work with a PC, buy one and set it up next to your ST.
The biggest flaw with the PC emulators out now is that they don't really
out-perform the real PC's, and are only of use (but valid use) to:

          a:  people who only need PC compatability occasionally.
          b:  people who have very small desks, and no money for furniture
              (but plenty for hardware add-ons).
          c:  hacker-types that just want to do it for the fun of having
              two or three machines in one casing.

As always, these statements are all IMHO, and I intend to get a PC emulator
board because I fit in group c.

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
         Mickey Boyd                 |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
                                     |      Even I have trouble doing it."
             FSU Comp Sci            |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) (02/01/90)

In article <1998@moscom.UUCP> tmb@moscom.UUCP (Tom Bellucco) writes:
>Look at the list of software that wouldn't run on the Megas!  You bought a
>piece of software for an ancient IBM PC, it worked on a PS/2.  period.

Wow, there were programs that ran OK on the Mega's too. Have you ever
tried to get some DOS 3.2 programs to run under DOS 4.0.
Har! That's a laugh.

> Tom Bellucco - moscom!tmb@cs.rochester.edu  or  {...}!rochester!moscom!tmb
>                    -------------------------------------
>   "Whatever I said, I didn't mean it...unless, of course, you liked it!"
>   #include <std.disclaimer>

Mark Davidson.
(Well that's my two pence sterling).

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (02/02/90)

In article <1998@moscom.UUCP> tmb@moscom.UUCP (Tom Bellucco) writes:
>Look at the list of software that wouldn't run on the Megas!  You bought a
>piece of software for an ancient IBM PC, it worked on a PS/2.  period.
     Ah, no. Yes, most of the material that SURVIVED until now from that
era works - because people followed the (few) programming guidelines that
would help insure that slight differences would not crash their code. The
ST is a more complex machine and has more rules (which doesn't excuse the
problem; published guidelines are published guidelines, and if the software
doesn't follow them, that's not Atari's fault) and therefore more violations
of those rules - and more crashes upon grades.
     I do remember software that wouldn't run on the AT, much less a PS/2...
fortunately, I haven't seen any of that kind of material in quite a while.
     It's not just Atariland where this happens. I use Amiga systems (three
at the home/office right now) and haven't had any problems when upgrading,
except with a couple of games (and we know who you are, Psygnosis! :-( ).
However, there are others out there who have had this happen. So the problem
is everywhere; people just don't pay attention to the rules.
                                                         - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (06/18/90)

Someone wanted some better monitor emulators...
They are posted to comp.binaries today - Here is the READ.ME file...

Public Domain Communication Disk from ABK-BBS, The Atari BBS in Norway
All programs on this disk are free, but if you want to support me and
further developement of MiniTerm & MiniBBS you can become a registred
user.  You will then receive update- and new programs information.
Send 100 NKr, $15, DM25, 10 pounds or 30 guilders by cheque or to
norwegian postgiro account 0537 6846174 (see your local post office for
a transfer card, "Service des cheques postaux, Avis de versement VP1").
Payable to:  Lars-Erik 0sterud, 0kriveien 39, N-1349 Rykkinn, Norway.

Emulators	All programs MUST be in \AUTO\ at boot-time to work !!
MONO_EMU.PRG	Run MONO programs on COLOR monitor (also with TOS 1.4)
MEDIUMEM.PRG    Run MEDIUM programs on MONOCHROME  (also with TOS 1.4)
COLOREMU.PRG    Run COLOR programs on MONOCHROME ! (slow but it works)
Problems ?	Write to:	Lars-Erik 0sterud
				0kriveien 39
				N-1349 Rykkinn
				Norway

		E-mail to:	larserio@ifi.uio.no  (usenet)

		Call me at:	+47 2 13 15 71	(voice)
		or ABK-BBS:	+47 2 13 26 59	(1200-9600 baud MNP5)
		  ____ ______  ______________________________________
		 /___    /	       The norwegian ST	   Contact us
		____/   /    Klubben,  user association	   at ABK-BBS

thompson@zucchini.cis.ohio-state.edu (jeffery d thompson) (02/19/91)

There are many Commodore 64 games that my friend and I have always liked
to play and I was just wondering if there was a Commodore 64 emulator
available for the ST or if one is currently in production. Any replies
would be greatly appreciated.

							Jeff
Is Lucasfilm Games ever going to make "The Secret of Monkey Island" for the ST
I've been waiting patiently for months now.

tnfw0@isuvax.iastate.edu (05/23/91)

Could someone give a summary of the PC and Mac (and whatever other computers)
emulators available for the ST/TT, and what they do and don't do, and what they
cost once you have the necessary ROM's, etc...

                               Thanks,
                                 Steven Ourada
                                 Still livin' with my 8-bit...