[comp.sys.atari.st] TT memory question

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (05/22/91)

Basically, how is the RAM in the TT configured?

From reading reports in STart (R.I.P.:^) and Atari Explorer, I get the
impression that both ST- and TT-RAM are banks of DIPs (correct term?),
with the TT-RAM requiring a daughterboard.  Moreover, Atari does not
sell this daughterboard separately.  So the only way to get TT-RAM is
if the machine is shipped with at least 2megs of TT-RAM from the factory,
and then, I suppose, more TT-RAM can be plugged in later.

About a month ago on Freenet, someone said that a dealer told him that
the TTs were being shipped with SIMMs for both ST- and TT-RAM and that
no daughterboard was necessary.

Which is the correct story here?  As much as I'd like to believe the
latter, the former sounds more plausible, at least because it was
reported in a magazine ("but don't believe everything you read" :^).

Can someone who has actually opened their production model TT or someone
from Atari who is clear of the situation, please comment?  Thanks.

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261
         ONE WEEK UNTIL GRADUATION!!

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (05/24/91)

In <1991May21.183534.22211@ecst.csuchico.edu>, Ed Krimen writes:
>Basically, how is the RAM in the TT configured?
>
>From reading reports in STart (R.I.P.:^) and Atari Explorer, I get the
>impression that both ST- and TT-RAM are banks of DIPs (correct term?),
>with the TT-RAM requiring a daughterboard.  Moreover, Atari does not
>sell this daughterboard separately.  So the only way to get TT-RAM is
>if the machine is shipped with at least 2megs of TT-RAM from the factory,
>and then, I suppose, more TT-RAM can be plugged in later.

	This is wrong. The daughterboards for Video and Fastram are sold
seperately, at least in Canada. The boards contain a memory controller
which is necessary for the TT to access the extra ram.

--
          John Henders        			jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
       	  MIND over MIDI Productions	or ubc.cs!van-bc!jonh!jhenders

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (05/24/91)

In article <A0b5usgo@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca> jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca writes:
>In <1991May21.183534.22211@ecst.csuchico.edu>, Ed Krimen writes:
>>Basically, how is the RAM in the TT configured?
>>
>>From reading reports in STart (R.I.P.:^) and Atari Explorer, I get the
>>impression that both ST- and TT-RAM are banks of DIPs (correct term?),
>>with the TT-RAM requiring a daughterboard.  Moreover, Atari does not
>>sell this daughterboard separately.  So the only way to get TT-RAM is
>>if the machine is shipped with at least 2megs of TT-RAM from the factory,
>>and then, I suppose, more TT-RAM can be plugged in later.
>
>	This is wrong. The daughterboards for Video and Fastram are sold
>seperately, at least in Canada. The boards contain a memory controller
>which is necessary for the TT to access the extra ram.

How much are the daughterboards?

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261
         "I AM OUTTA HERE!!!" -