[comp.sys.atari.st] Upgrading a single sided st

s902156@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Andrew Donaldson) (05/24/91)

This is my first posting to this group.. hope it works 8-)

A friend of mine is one of those poor souls with a single sided drive in his
520 st. He bought another drive (which we tested on an IBM and was fine)
But we can't get it to work in his ST! There is a little board on the back
of the original board which we found to be neccesary.. don't know what for though.. just that it doesn't work without it in there.
The new drive WORKS! It just doesn't use the second side!
Is there a nice simple fix like setting a jumper on the mother board?
(I don't know much about it, but it looks older than mine and has
 room for sockets for extra ram)

 This can"t be such a hard thing to get working!! Please help.
 -Andrew.
 (s902156@yallara.cs.rmit.oz.au)

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (05/24/91)

In article <1991May24.015422.23817@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> s902156@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Andrew Donaldson) writes:
> This is my first posting to this group.. hope it works 8-)
>
> A friend of mine is one of those poor souls with a single sided drive in his
> 520 st. He bought another drive (which we tested on an IBM and was fine)
> But we can't get it to work in his ST! There is a little board on the back
                 Remove this Board                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> (I don't know much about it, but it looks older than mine and has
>  room for sockets for extra ram)
>
>  This can"t be such a hard thing to get working!! Please help.
>  -Andrew.
>  (s902156@yallara.cs.rmit.oz.au)

Well I see that you can now get Real Atari replacement drives in the UK.
about 50 pounds...

You must remove the PCB that has a cpu fitted to it, this was a botchup
for some slow stepping drive, has no side select and only gives 80 tracks..

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...