[comp.sys.atari.st] Reliable archiver/compressor wanted

) (05/17/91)

Could someone tell me what the latest version numbers are for ARC, LHARC and
ZOO for the ST?

I'm having trouble finding a reliable compress/archive program. LHARC is too
slow, ZOO falls over with particular files, and ARC seems to be dodgy when
extracting.

mathew

nox@jelal.north.de (Juergen Lock) (05/23/91)

From article <B2g421w164w@mantis.co.uk>, by
 mathew@mantis.co.uk (CNEWS MUST DIE!):
> I'm having trouble finding a reliable compress/archive program.

 you didn't mention GNU tar + compress. reliable at least, not even
too slow. :-) (but forget other ST tar's, GNU is the only one i've
seen that works...)

>  LHARC is too
> slow, ZOO falls over with particular files, and ARC seems to be dodgy when
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 thank you, this reminds me of a bugreport i probably should have
made months ago already: (do you say it that way? sorry about
my english...)

 ok, there is this zoo 2.01 that someone compiled with Turbo C, (sorry
forgot who it was, else i wouldn't have to post this now...) that one
had problems with certain (longer) files, like you say. now, an even
longer while ago, :-) i compiled zoo 2.00 using the same compiler,
and i first had similar problems. the reason was a bug in Turbo C:
it didn't compile things like

int x=30000;
y=foo[x];

(where foo is an int * or something, i.e. anything `bigger' than a
char *), properly. (made it something like `move (a0,d0.w),d1', if
you know what i mean...)

 to `fix', i had to cast virtually everything inside [] to long's,
to make it use `move (a0,d0.l),d1' like it should. so for the line
above that would mean

y=foo[(long) x]; .

 hope this helps,
	Juergen

PS: to be fair, i don't know if the bug still is in TC's latest
version (i only have 1.1), but if yes, at least you now know how
to make the thing compile a working zoo. :-)
--
J"urgen Lock / UUCP: ..!uunet!unido!jelal.north.de!nox / BITNET: d09c@dhbrrz41
								...ohne Gewehr

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (05/25/91)

In article <a5434559@jelal.north.de> nox@jelal.north.de (Juergen Lock) writes:
|   ok, there is this zoo 2.01 that someone compiled with Turbo C....

This reminds me that the Zoo that is in starup.tos on atari.archive is
not the latest release.  Both zoo.ttp and fiz.ttp are slightly out of
date.  My copy of zoo (from USENET) is 2.01STg.  The version in
startup.tos is 2.01STe.  There is a similar difference for fiz.ttp.

Can we get statup.tos updated?

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.