[comp.sys.atari.st] Using Mac fonts

tdrga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Todd Drga) (05/20/91)

My questions to the net:

What do I have to do to use some of the Mac fonts that I have found archived
on various FTP servers?  What program will convert the to GDOS (or other)
fonts that I can use?  I am interested in using the fonts for DTP and screen
fonts.

I am ignorant when it comes to Mac file structure, systems, etc.  The doc
files for some of the fonts mention things like 'Font DA Mover file'
'suitcase file' 'resource forks' etc.  what do these mean *to me* as an
Atari user?  How easy is it to convert these various file types into something
my machine can read/use?

Are there UnBinHex and UnStuffIt programs for the ST or UNIX?  Or do I have
to find a Mac to unarchive these files?  (I have a general idea what BinHex
and StuffIt do - they are comparable to uuencode and ARC/LZH, respectively
- or is this not the case)

Thanks,

Todd
(E-mail replies if you have to explain something really trivial that I got
wrong.  Otherwise, post if it is of general interest)

--
=  INTERNET-> tdrga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu   (Todd Drga, UT Dept. of Drama)      =
=                                                                            =

bart@bluemoon.uucp (Bart Jaszcz) (05/20/91)

tdrga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Todd Drga) writes:

> My questions to the net:
>
> What do I have to do to use some of the Mac fonts that I have found archived
> on various FTP servers?  What program will convert the to GDOS (or other)
> fonts that I can use?  I am interested in using the fonts for DTP and screen
> fonts.

    Font DA (desk accessory) mover is an application on the mac that adds
fonts or desk accessories to the system file... in other words, it sort of
puts them in the assign.sys file (or root dir for accesories) The fonts are
not (I repeat: are not) separate files... they come in bunches... like 20
fonts in one file... GDOS fonts come one by one (great system... I love my
atari... why make things complicated???)
I have no idea what the file format of the font files on the mac is...
that's just the thing with the mac... you never know what the hell is
going on in your computer... however, I'm an expert on gdos fonts... I
just finished a program that outputs them to my 9 pin dot matrix without
using gdos, or any system routines for that matter.

So, if you find some specs on the mac fonts, and need help converting
them... let me know, maybe I'll throw some ideas at you or something. :)

   Bart

 This is from
     bart@bluemoon.uucp
     bart%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet

seldin@antares.concordia.ca ( JONATHAN SELDIN ) (05/21/91)

In article <49233@ut-emx.uucp> tdrga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Todd Drga) writes:
>My questions to the net:
>
>What do I have to do to use some of the Mac fonts that I have found archived
>on various FTP servers?  What program will convert the to GDOS (or other)
>fonts that I can use?  I am interested in using the fonts for DTP and screen
>fonts.

FONTZ! from Neocept will do this conversion.  The documentation
that comes with it gives all the necessary information.

>I am ignorant when it comes to Mac file structure, systems, etc.  The doc
>files for some of the fonts mention things like 'Font DA Mover file'
>'suitcase file' 'resource forks' etc.  what do these mean *to me* as an
>Atari user?  How easy is it to convert these various file types into something
>my machine can read/use?

The documentation with FONTZ! gives all the necessary information
about this.  Perhaps the most important thing to know before
starting is that the font files downloaded from Macintosh archive
sites or BBS's must be separated into files each of which
contains one size and style of one font.  This requires the use
of the Font DA Mover on the Macintosh (the program that moves
fonts and desk accessories between files); it can be run under
Spectre on an ST.  Also, because the screen and printer
resolutions for the Atari and Epson campatible printers differ
from those for the Macintosh and the ImageWriter, the fonts will
convert to odd sizes, and transforming them for use on the ST
will require rescaling them.  In my experience, this rescaling
requires checking the design of each character, and can be very
time consuming.  I believe that some of the fonts which can be
legally circulated have been converted for GDOS use and, if I am
not mistaken, the results are available on atari.archive.

For those who are interested, Macintosh files come in a format
that combines a text part and a binary part; these parts are
called, respectively, the data and resource forks.  Because of
this special format, transferring a binary file between a
Macintosh and a system like the ST or UNIX requires special
software at both ends.  For those who have Spectre, the program
Transverter will do this kind of transformation; since my UNIX
host does not have the necessary UNIX end of the special transfer
software, when I want to download a binary Macintosh file, I
transfer it to my ST using Kermit (since my host does not have
x-modem or y-modem) and then use Transverter to get it into
Macintosh format.

>Are there UnBinHex and UnStuffIt programs for the ST or UNIX?  Or do I have
>to find a Mac to unarchive these files?  (I have a general idea what BinHex
>and StuffIt do - they are comparable to uuencode and ARC/LZH, respectively
>- or is this not the case)

There are such programs for UNIX; mcvert for UnBinHex and unsit
for UnStuffIt, both obtainable from archive sites.  But I do not
know of any program running under UNIX that will separate fonts
into separate files, which is what is needed to use FONTZ!  So to
convert Macintosh files for GDOS use, you will need a real
Macintosh or Spectre.

>Thanks,

You're welcome.  I hope this helps.

>Todd
>(E-mail replies if you have to explain something really trivial that I got
>wrong.  Otherwise, post if it is of general interest)
>

>--
>=  INTERNET-> tdrga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu   (Todd Drga, UT Dept. of Drama)      =
>=                                                                            =
>=          ' The dry grass will set fire to the damp grass '                 =
>=                                                                            =
>=           African proverb brought to the Americas by slaves                =

Jonathan P. Seldin
Department of Mathematics                 seldin@alcor.concordia.ca
Concordia University, Montreal		   seldin@vax2.concordia.ca

--

tdrga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Todd Drga) (05/21/91)

In article <301@daily-planet.concordia.ca> seldin@antares.concordia.ca ( JONATHAN SELDIN ) writes:

>The documentation with FONTZ! gives all the necessary information
>about this.  Perhaps the most important thing to know before
>starting is that the font files downloaded from Macintosh archive
>sites or BBS's must be separated into files each of which
>contains one size and style of one font....

 [description of lots of frightening (to me) stuff deleted]

>--
>Jonathan P. Seldin
>Department of Mathematics                 seldin@alcor.concordia.ca
>Concordia University, Montreal		   seldin@vax2.concordia.ca

Well, after reading all of that, I have decided to give up on converting mac
fonts.  I don't have and there is no way I can afford Spectre, so that blows
the whole thing out of reach.

I did find source for the unbinhex and unstuffit programs at
sumex.stanford.edu (thanks to the person who suggested it) along with some
other mac conversion programs.

The good thing to come out of my abortive attempt is that I compiled my
first programs on the Sparc here at school.  (this is coming from an
dictionary-definition end user, so its a big deal to me)

Thanks to everyone who helped me out.  Maybe someday I'll be able to afford
Spectre.  (hah, right!)

Todd

--

goo@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Michael Goo) (05/22/91)

/ tdrga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Todd Drga) /  writes...

>What do I have to do to use some of the Mac fonts that I have found archived
>on various FTP servers?  What program will convert the to GDOS (or other)
>fonts that I can use?  I am interested in using the fonts for DTP and screen
>fonts.

The program Fontz! by (the now defunct) Neocept can convert Mac fonts (amongst
many other formats) to GDOS fonts.  I haven't worked too much with this
program, but the general idea is that you load the font into Fontz!, select
the resolution you want for the GDOS font, and then use a pixel editor to
touch up the rough spots caused by the resolution conversion.  It's better
than starting from scratch, but it ain't trivial either.

One place I know you can get Fontz! is from B+C Computervisions in Santa Clara,
California (408)749-1003.

I am not associated with Neocept or B+C in any way etc. etc.  blah blah blah.

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (05/22/91)

Todd Drga asked about using Mac fonts on an ST...

It's entirely possible to convert Mac fonts to use in GDOS applications, but
it's not a trivial task, nor is it particularly easy to do.

The program I've used is FONTZ, a commercial product of Neocept, Inc. It will
convert several different types of fonts into GDOS compatible fonts, includin
Mac and Amiga.  It works well, and allows you to touch up the converted fonts
and even design your own original fonts.

The sticky part is getting the fonts into the ST in the first place.

My solutions involved using not only the ST, but a Magic Sac Mac emulator
and pc-ditto, the IBM emulator.

Most Mac fonts are available in various point sizes.  However, they are
usually appended to one another in one large font file.  FONTZ will only
process the FIRST complete font set in such a group, and ignore the others.
Usually this will be the tiniest point size, making it very difficult to
scale the font to larger, more usable sizes.

The solution is to go into Mac emulation mode and use the FONT/DA MOVER
to split up the font and save it as individual files, one for each different
size of the font.

This will also take care of the problem of unarchiving the fonts, as you
can run STUFFIT to unstuff or unpack the font in Mac mode.

Then you're faced with getting the font onto an ST readable disk.  This can
be accomplished by using the TRANSVERTER program to convert the files onto
ST disks.

If you don't have a Mac emulator, your options are very limited.  Most Mac
fonts are either STUFFed or PAKed.  Unfortunately, as far as I know there is
only an UNPIT program for the ST, no unSTUFFers.  If the file you want to
try converting is STUFFed, you can run the IBM emulator, pc-ditto, and use
a PC utility that will unSTUFF the files onto ST readable disks directly.

Again, FONTZ will only convert the first font, if there are more than one
font sizes in the file.

Another solution would be to have a Mac owning friend split the fonts up
and modem the files to you.

And lastly, most Mac fonts are Shareware, not Public Domain.

It's a lot of work, but it can be worth it..!

BobR

johnr@cged.co.uk (John Richards) (05/24/91)

>Todd Drga asked about using Mac fonts on an ST...

Fontkit Plus V3 will convert Mac fonts to GEM fonts (though I haven't tried
it). Fontkit Plus is a great package for editing bit-map fonts. I've used
it for creating screen fonts for use with Fleet Street Publisher 3. It will
also convert Calamus fonts.

It's available from the ST Club in England. Cost is about 19.95 pounds. If
you want the address, e-mail me and I'll find it.
--
                                      John Richards

wilsona@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk (Alan Wilson) (05/24/91)

The easiest way to get stuff from a Nac is to format a DOS disc on an
FDHD equipped mac (all of the later ones), and simply copy the fonts onto
it. Stick the disc in an atari and run 'mac2gem' from (wait for it...) the
ST Club on it. Easy. No problem. If you do not have access to a Mac then
it is a problem. There is some PD stuff on terminator. A non FDHD Mac involves
connecting the computers together. Note: Format the MS-DOS disc using 'Apple
File Exchange'.

Alan Wilson (No relation to anybody connected with the ST Club...)

#  /\        / Alan   # USEnet :  wilsona!glasgow!mcsun!...                   #

hyc@hanauma.jpl.nasa.gov (Howard Chu) (05/28/91)

When I set about converting PD Mac fonts using NeoCept Fontz!, I had access
to a nearby Mac as well (my roommate's, at the time.) I used a Mac app called
Font Librarian to split up Font sets into individual files, and then MacArc
to collect them into a single .ARC file. Then I just used Ymodem to transfer
to the ST. (Stupid Mac doesn't have a free Zmodem that I'm aware of. Of course,
this was also a couple years ago...) Unarchive the files on the ST, load
into Fontz!. There's nothing particularly difficult, it is just very very
tedious/time-consuming. You need to spend a great deal of time touching up
the scaled bitmaps for your particular output device. The Mac fonts are
generally for screen and imagewriter, which are both 72x72dpi output devices.
The ST screen is 80 or 90dpi depending on how your monochrome monitor is
adjusted... Fresh out of the box an SM124 gives you 90dpi (and that 1 inch
black border...). If you're not too fussy, and more than a little bit lazy,
like me, you can use the screen fonts directly without scaling them, just
setting the proper amount of spacing.

Scaling for your printer is a big hassle, one that I only did for a select
few fonts. Best advice is to take the largest available screen font, then
scale that to the largest desired printer font. When that is done, it'll be
less work scaling down to the smaller printer font sizes.

My biggest gripe with working with the printer was that I had no real
control over the actual resolution. (Using a KXP-1091i, and the FX driver.)
I really wanted to write my own GDOS printer driver for the KXP, but never
took the time to do it. I guess this is now a moot point since FSMGDOS
is coming out...
--
  -- Howard Chu @ Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA
	Disclaimer: How would I know, I just got here!