[comp.sys.atari.st] Patches for TOS 1.4

millert@tramp.colorado.edu (MILLER TODD C) (05/27/91)

I'm about to get TOS 1.4 and I was wondering what auto folder patches I'll need.
The ones I was going to put in are  tos14fix.prg (patched version), vdibfix.prg,
poolfix3.prg (or maybe Claus Brod's version), foldr100.prg, and consbfix.prg
since I use quick ST.

Are there any that I missed?  Also, is pinhead faster than the TOS 1.4 fastload?
(or I guess I should say faster enough to warrant its use, I'll be using a 4 meg
ST)

thanks in adcvance,
                   todd
--
Todd C. Miller                    | "But all the politiCIAns now
millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU        |  They have no excuse

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May26.191056.9550@colorado.edu> millert@tramp.colorado.edu
 (MILLER TODD C) writes:
> I'm about to get TOS 1.4 and I was wondering what auto folder patches
> I'll need.
> The ones I was going to put in are  tos14fix.prg (patched version),
> vdibfix.prg,
> poolfix3.prg (or maybe Claus Brod's version), foldr100.prg, and consbfix.prg
> since I use quick ST.
>
> Are there any that I missed?  Also, is pinhead faster than the TOS 1.4
> fastload?
> (or I guess I should say faster enough to warrant its use, I'll be using
> a 4 meg ST)
>
> thanks in adcvance,
>                    todd
> --
> Todd C. Miller                    | "But all the politiCIAns now
> millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU        |  They have no excuse
> al804@cleveland.Freenet.Edu       |  They just hide behind their power
> University of Colorado @ Boulder  |  And keep us from the truth" - Roger McGuinn

You don't need FolderFix with TOS 1.4.

PinHead can help as it can be programed to  clear memory that the OS.
does not clear, and from what I believe is faster than the OS.
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

kimmo@field.fi (Kimmo Lahtinen) (05/29/91)

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) writes:

>You don't need FolderFix with TOS 1.4.

Actually you *need* sometimes Folderfix also with TOS 1.4.
I noticed it when I was installing TeX 2.0.

The installation documentation said that you will need a
forderfix, and I did not believe it, so my installation
was terminated on one point. There was very many files
and folders, so the limit in TOS 1.4 might be higher, but
there is a limit. But there was no corruption or other
problems, so I added a folderfix to my ICD driver and
continued instalation.

>PinHead can help as it can be programed to  clear memory that the OS.
>does not clear, and from what I believe is faster than the OS.

The main idea behind fastload bit and PinHead is that
we do not zero whole memory before program load.

By the way about the fast load bit. Some accessories do
not behave well when it is on.
>--
>Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...
--
Kimmo Lahtinen                            E-Mail : kimmo@field.fi or
Finnish Meteorological Institute                   lahtinen@pouta.fmi.fi