[comp.sys.atari.st] ST World

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (12/19/88)

In article <12661@cup.portal.com> Robert_Bob_Mulholland@cup.portal.com writes:
>If you'd like to know more about the ICD hard drive kit take a look at my
>review of ICD's Hard Drive Kit in the August 1988 issue of ST World.

When I saw this note, I reached to the shelf beside my ST and
grabbed my copy of the August issue of ST World, and started to
hunt for the article by Robert Bob Mulholland.

I could not find it.  I looked again.  I even read the index :-).

Is ST World publishing different editions of its paper?
The one I have is marked

	August 1988
	Vol III, No. 8, issue #24
	ISSN 0888-1057

and is published monthly in Roseburg, Oregon.

Can anyone shed more light on this?

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

Robert_Bob_Mulholland@cup.portal.com (12/23/88)

I would like to correct my original message about my review of ICD Hard Drive
Kit being in the August 1988 issue of ST World -- it wasn't. The issue
I should have said was the July 1988 issue (Vol. III, No. 7, Issue #23)
on page 9.
I would like to take this opportunity to mention that this is NOT ICD's FA*ST
hard drive kit but the kit they sold previous to that one. Basically the only
difference is the case, which is MUCH larger in the older kit than the sleeker
under-monitor design of their FA*ST Hard Drive Kit.
My apologizes to those who were confused by my mis-information.

SOCS18@vaxb.york.ac.UK (Vision Newspapers) (02/20/90)

Today I spoke (at last!) to Dave Stewart, editor of ST World, who told me that

"There are no plans to shut down ST World."

It seems that I was a little pessimistic, and I apologise if I got anyone
worried. I didn't actually say that ST World was going to disappear, just that
it looked as if it would. However, it appears that ST World will continue to be
published and there will be a small item in the next issue explaining what the
current ownership situation is.

Next month's issue (March) _should_ also see the start of a series on
programming the STE (but don't hold your breath...)

To all those who have mailed me asking for a copy of my 'Stars' screen blanker,
I've had a technical hitch with the ST to VAX link, and am now in the process
of getting a copy of uuencode for the ST (Thankyou Pete Fenlon). I should be
able to mail you all the uuencoded archive later this week.

Similarly with STE documentation - I'll post it when I've managed to type it
all in and got it across to this VAX.

Regards,

Mathew Lodge
* c/o Dept. Computer Science	* "Baldrick, fetch me a turkey _so    *
* University of York		* big_, you'd have thought its mother *
* Heslington			* had been rodgered by an Omnibus"    *
* York, UK			*				      *
* YO1 5DD			* JANET : SOCS18@uk.ac.york.vaxa      *

D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Halliday) (05/23/91)

In the editorial of the very thin ST World included free with ST User it
states that ST World is being refloated as a monthly mag after a few
issues when it is included free with ST User. This could be a great day
for the ST as this magazine was from 1986 - 1990 a very nice non games
magazine catering for the ST community. Perhaps this re-publication as a
monthly is in line with Atari UK's aim at capturing more of the
professional computing market.

Dave H
(D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk)

la_carle@sol.brispoly.ac.uk (Les Carleton) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.133629.7264@newcastle.ac.uk> D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Halliday) writes:

   In the editorial of the very thin ST World included free with ST User it
   states that ST World is being refloated as a monthly mag after a few
   issues when it is included free with ST User. This could be a great day
   for the ST as this magazine was from 1986 - 1990 a very nice non games
   magazine catering for the ST community. Perhaps this re-publication as a
   monthly is in line with Atari UK's aim at capturing more of the
   professional computing market.

   Dave H
   (D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk)

I wholeheartdly support the re-float of ST World, but I refuse to buy
ST User to get it. My reason is this. I once had a subscription to a
good mag called ST User which had a fairly good mix of Hardware,
Progging and Games etc. However one day about a year ago they started
a 'new look', which I find not only less appealing but downright
insulting. I am not a 16 year old hacker games player and object to
the comment style in the magazine. In the letters section they fail to
take anything seriously and the rest of the magazine is not much
better. At least ST World always treated its readers as though they
had an IQ above 6.

ST World itself isn't published by Atari UK, its not published by
Europress (aka Europa publishing). If they re-launch it as a
standalone mag with the format they established in the quarterly
segment of their history (2 issues) and encourage serious advertisers
in there then I'm all for it.

...Les...
"No to cover disks!"

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.133629.7264@newcastle.ac.uk> D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Halliday) writes:
> In the editorial of the very thin ST World included free with ST User it
> states that ST World is being refloated as a monthly mag after a few
> issues when it is included free with ST User. This could be a great day
> for the ST as this magazine was from 1986 - 1990 a very nice non games
> magazine catering for the ST community. Perhaps this re-publication as a
> monthly is in line with Atari UK's aim at capturing more of the
> professional computing market.
>
> Dave H
> (D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk)

Well I did not get see the last issue of ST-World (April), the importer
here lost the entire Air Shipment of magazines, the last one we got here
was in December 1990. but that was of the 1/4 issues.
Are you stating that its gone back to a mouthly issue ?,
and was the April ST-World combined with the ST-User for that month ?.

I have just written to my sister to see if she can get me the missing issue,
1st, Quarter No. 54
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (05/25/91)

It's a real pity that UK has lost magazines for non-kid Atari users. It's
because most of the serious users are MIDI people and they are generally not
concerned with other features of ST.
I would rather like to see some translation from German documentation (
hardware project series, basic guide books, manuals of famous programs like
Turbo-C and something like 'a collection of the best German articles of the
year').
I wonder if someone in Germany could inform me of the addresses of German
magazines by e-mail (I remember buying C't... or 68000er when I went skiing
to Switzerland).
ytsuji@cfi.waseda.ac.jp

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (05/25/91)

In article <5725@wucc.waseda.ac.jp> ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) writes:
> It's a real pity that UK has lost magazines for non-kid Atari users. It's
> because most of the serious users are MIDI people and they are generally not
> concerned with other features of ST.
> I would rather like to see some translation from German documentation (
> hardware project series, basic guide books, manuals of famous programs like
> Turbo-C and something like 'a collection of the best German articles of the
> year').
> I wonder if someone in Germany could inform me of the addresses of German
> magazines by e-mail (I remember buying C't... or 68000er when I went skiing
> to Switzerland).
> ytsuji@cfi.waseda.ac.jp

Well I sent 2 letters with reply coupons, to 2 addresses for the
German magazine ST-Computer.

I never received one reply.
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian F. Reschke) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May25.141823.2473@actrix.gen.nz>, Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz
(Roger Sheppard) says:
>Well I sent 2 letters with reply coupons, to 2 addresses for the
>German magazine ST-Computer.
>
>I never received one reply.
>--
>Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

Now, this is easy. Here comes the address of 'ST-Magazin' (formerly '68000er'):

ST-Magazin
Markt & Technik Verlag AG
Hans-Pinsel-Strasse 2
D-8013 Haar bei Muenchen

___________________________ cut here _____________________________________
Julian F. Reschke, Hensenstr. 142, D-4400 Muenster, Phone: ++49 251 861241
fast eMail: ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET,    slow: jr@ms.maus.de (++49 251 77216)
____________________ correct me if I'm wrong _____________________________

aj_taylo@sol.brispoly.ac.uk (taylor) (05/30/91)

NOTE ST World Issue 54 Quarter 1 1991 DOES NOT EXIST.

ST World is currently being given away with Atari ST User as was very
thin this last issue.  It is intended to re-launch ST World as a
separate magazine at an unspecified later date

--
   Andy Taylor, Bristol Polytechnic, UK

 "... and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
 'cos there's bugger all down here on Earth."
                                            Monty Python's Meaning Of Life
E&OE