[comp.sys.atari.st] Rainbow TOS Bombs again

freds@hpspdra.spd.HP.COM (Fred Saavedra) (05/23/91)

I have recently installed the new? rainbow TOS in my mega2.

*flameon*
It seems to run less software than the old version, which
is depressing since the my older 1040 which I sold for the Mega
ran the largest set of software.

Well is it my imagination???

Is there a solution to all this bombing?
*flame off*
And can I speed this slow poke up?

thx,

freds@hpspdra.hp.com

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (05/24/91)

In article <12020002@hpspdra.spd.HP.COM> freds@hpspdra.spd.HP.COM (Fred Saavedra) writes:
>I have recently installed the new? rainbow TOS in my mega2.

Sounds good to me.

>*flameon*

Oh boy!  Wait a second -- lemme check.  Okay, I have my flame-retardant
underwear on.

>It seems to run less software than the old version, which
>is depressing since the my older 1040 which I sold for the Mega
>ran the largest set of software.

Hehehe.  Well, could you be more specific than 'less software?'  What
specifically doesn't it run?  Typically, most software runs on TOS 1.4.

>Well is it my imagination???

Dunno.

>Is there a solution to all this bombing?

Don't write your own software. :^)

>*flame off*

Hmm, that wasn't so bad.  Not even a spark.

>And can I speed this slow poke up?

You or your computer? :^)
--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261
         "I AM OUTTA HERE!!!" -

SYSPMZT@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (05/28/91)

In article <12020002@hpspdra.spd.HP.COM>, freds@hpspdra.spd.HP.COM (Fred
Saavedra) says:

>I have recently installed the new? rainbow TOS in my mega2.
>
>*flameon*
>It seems to run less software than the old version, which
>is depressing since the my older 1040 which I sold for the Mega
>ran the largest set of software.
>
>Well is it my imagination???
>
>Is there a solution to all this bombing?
>*flame off*

I just bought a 1040 STe and upgraded the memory to 4 meg.  I've noticed that
a lot of pd software others have suggested as great programs do not run or
bomb my system.  Examples so far are CAL 5.0, which will not run, and MELT,
which melts the screen then bombs the system.  Some of the software that I
wrote with Personal Pascal long ago (I gave up writing for the machine about
3 years ago) has some odd reactions on the STe that my old 1040 did not.

I'm also interested in what the architectural differences are between an ST and
an STe.

Phil Z

SYSPMZT@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (05/30/91)

In article <91148.111516SYSPMZT@GECRDVM1.BITNET>, <SYSPMZT@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com>
says:

>In article <12020002@hpspdra.spd.HP.COM>, freds@hpspdra.spd.HP.COM (Fred
>Saavedra) says:
>>
>>I have recently installed the new? rainbow TOS in my mega2.
>>
>>*flameon*
>>It seems to run less software than the old version, which
>>is depressing since the my older 1040 which I sold for the Mega
>>ran the largest set of software.
>>
>>Well is it my imagination???
>>

>I just bought a 1040 STe and upgraded the memory to 4 meg.  I've noticed that
>a lot of pd software others have suggested as great programs do not run or
>bomb my system.  Examples so far are CAL 5.0, which will not run, and MELT,
>which melts the screen then bombs the system.  Some of the software that I
>wrote with Personal Pascal long ago (I gave up writing for the machine about
>3 years ago) has some odd reactions on the STe that my old 1040 did not.
>
>I'm also interested in what the architectural differences are between an ST
>and
>an STe.
>
>Phil Z

I should follow up, as this isn't quite correct.  Actually, the offending
software was the MACCEL mouse accelerator that Dr. T shipped as pd with
KCS Omega.  I'll miss the speed, but it was corrupting all sorts of
software.  I can't tell you if it would have on old TOS as I only started
using it when I got my 1040STe (my old 1040 ST wouldn't read it's internal
drive, so I had no ACC's or AUTO things loaded).

CAL50 seems to run alright, although with other windowing software it seems
to have problems keeping the mouse pointer visible on the screen.

It's really hard to figure out who or what's causing a problem in the moving
target public domain software world...

Phil Z

spa@fct.unl.pt (Salvador Pinto Abreu) (05/31/91)

on 30 May 91 14:50:51 GMT,
SYSPMZT@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com said:

>> I should follow up, as this isn't quite correct.  Actually, the offending
>> software was the MACCEL mouse accelerator that Dr. T shipped as pd with
>> KCS Omega.  I'll miss the speed, but it was corrupting all sorts of
>> software.

I've been using MACCEL3 from atari.archive.umich.edu on my 4Mb 1040STe
and haven't had any of those problems.
--
-- Salvador Pinto Abreu		spa@fct.unl.pt
				Universidade Nova de Lisboa, PORTUGAL