[net.wanted] "Joystick Mouse" or Joystick for Game Port?

davej@entropy.UUCP (03/28/86)

I would like to implement a mouse (preferably, or at least a joystick)
on an IBM PC/XT game port rather than sacrificing a slot or a serial
port.  Is this technically possible?

In the Microsoft Windows setup I just went through there is a choice
of selection for a pointing device of "Kraft Joystick Mouse".  Does
anyone know about this?

Any info on joysticks, mouses for the game port, or references to
such would be appreciated.

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (03/31/86)

In article <264@entropy.UUCP> davej@entropy.UUCP writes:
>I would like to implement a mouse (preferably, or at least a joystick)
>on an IBM PC/XT game port rather than sacrificing a slot or a serial
>port.  Is this technically possible?
>
>In the Microsoft Windows setup I just went through there is a choice
>of selection for a pointing device of "Kraft Joystick Mouse".  Does
>anyone know about this?

Kraft (the joystick company) sells a product they call Exectuive Cursor
which uses the joystick as some sort of pointing device. My guess is that
windows either can work in conjuction with this product or can really use
the joystick as a mouse equivalent.

In the PD realm, there is a program floating around on many BBS's called
PMM or Poor Man's Mouse. Basically, it is a little utility which makes the
joystick appear to the system as repeated pressings of the arrow keys.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

"I killed him... and he thanked me. Why did he have to be so nice about it?"

brent@orsvax1.UUCP (Brent Chivers) (04/29/86)

> Kraft (the joystick company) sells a product they call Exectuive Cursor....

Once upon a time (relatively) long ago I used to build model
airplanes.  I spent hours pouring over magazines.  In those
days Kraft was THE premier name in radio-control equipment.
(Maybe they still are, I don't know.)  While their joysticks
were reputed to have the best "feel" in the industry, providing
extremely good positioning resolution in combination with their
transmitters, receivers, amplifiers, and servo mechanisms,
Kraft was not considered a "joystick company". :-)

(Of course, from my vantage point I still may have missed
something.  Perhaps radios were a subset of something else
at which Kraft was even better still.)
--
Brent Chivers		allegra!princeton!orsvax1!brent		or perhaps
ORS Automation, Inc	seismo!caip!topaz!pyrnj!orsvax1!brent