[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Mortis

mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) (05/17/91)

Ah, STart has gone belly-up. I'm not surprised. The entire Atari market
has gone belly-up. It's next to impossible to get *anything* for your
Atari (in my experience) without resorting to Atari-specialty stores and
mail order (and even they are drying up.) People are deserting Atari
left and right: dealers, users, and certainly developers. Software is
slowing to a trickle. I hope to god I can sell my 1040ST, monitor,
printer, and tons of software for even a third of what I paid for it
all. Atari can't come out with a new product that will sell (or even
pass FCC approval, it seems.) There is no way in hell I would buy a TT,
even if it wasn't ridiculously overpriced. Atari may not go bankrupt,
but it'll take a miracle for it to get back anything like the market
share it once had.

I remember the golden years. I was twelve years old when I got my 48K
Atari 800 and tape drive. I was seventeen when I got my 1040ST. Now I'm
a starving college student with barely enough money to get a Mac LC if I
work my butt off all summer. I'm not trying to start a flame war here,
but Atari is on its last legs. No one I know wants anything to do with
them or their products. God, this sucks. I was brand loyal and didn't
buy an Amiga. I hate IBMs, and Macs still cost a lot. Atari used to have
good products at great prices. No more.

I'm sorry for the rant and rave. Maybe it's all the Tramiels' fault.
Maybe it's a natural economic cycle. Or maybe I've outgrown unreliable
companies like Atari. Apple Computer, here I come. *Sigh.*

|\    /|
|  \/  |  ike Greelish
Carnegie Mellon U. undergrad, professional writing major
quote: "Up against the stick, motherwalkers, this is a fuck-up!"---Unknown
disclaimer: The Secretary will disavow any knowledge of my actions.

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (05/17/91)

In article <ccAl5B600Uzx83AuIs@andrew.cmu.edu>, mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) writes:

A lot of 'doom-and-gloom', 'woe-is-me' stuff, which I don't actually believe.

Let me tell you a few stories ...

1.  I visited the Atari dealer in the Twin Cities area two days ago.  They
  had an Atari TT on display (which I -hope- they can hold onto long enough
  to show off at tonight's user-group meeting).  They received their first
  TT's a month or two ago, and each time they get a couple of new machines,
  they're sold within days.  Same thing with the Mega STe and the regular
  STe machines.  And these sales are not generally to people who already own
  an ST.  The selling points?  Calamus, DynaCADD and a host of other software
  available.

2.  I received a phone call this morning from a magazine writer in Texas who
  wanted to know how folks are using the Atari ST (can't remember the name
  of the magazine -- I get calls all of the time from computer survey groups,
  and just sort of glaze when they say who they are).  I spoke for about
  30 minutes, telling her for what manner of things people are using Atari
  computers.  In brief:  professional recording studios use them to control
  synths and tape recorders, professional musicians use them on road shows,
  amateur musicians use them for any number of things -- including playing
  music at -their- speed and speeding the tempo until the song sounds right;
  professional publication production, neighborhood newsletter production,
  brochure production ... and a host of other DTP functions; Computer-Aided
  Design, low-budget graphic demos (for high-budget graphic production),
  doodling; word-processing; telecommunications -- including staying at home
  while working at the office; playing games; programming (the benevolent
  term for hardware and software 'hacking', before the term 'hacking' got
  such a disreputable meaning); emulation of computers at work, so that the
  user can continue to work at home; the list goes on and on ...

3.  People shouldn't purchase computers with the idea that they're ever going
  get ANYTHING near what they paid for it in the first place.  A computer is
  not an investment like gold or art.  As the technology advances, as older
  technology becomes cheaper, computers lose their value - EXCEPT the value
  they have in "Getting The Job Done".  I owned an Apple ][+ at one time,
  sold it for about 1/3 what I paid for it (after 5 years), because the
  technology hadn't advanced far enough in those 5 years ...  I owned an
  Atari 1040 ST (I have a Mega ST now ... thanks Kent), sold it for about
  1/5 of what I paid for it (after 5 years), because the technology had
  advanced so far in those 5 years that the newer machines could be sold for
  1/3 of the cost of my 1040 ST!

  The things I use my Mega ST for haven't changed much over the years.  I
  still find that my computer is as useful today as it was a year ago, or
  two years ago, or three years ago ... no, I find it MORE useful today.

All of this doesn't mean that people like Mike Greelish shouldn't abandon
their Atari ST's and go buy Macintosh computers.  If they feel so frustrated,
they should certainly dump their current machine, hang the cost, and go buy
what they think will not frustrate them.  I just want to point out that things
are NOT as disappointing for other Atari ST owners as Mike appears to believe.

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

daryl@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Daryl L. Monge) (05/18/91)

STart deserved to die.  Compared to magazines such as Current Notes,
the writing and reviews were awful.  The demise of such an entity does
not indicate doom and gloom.
--
Daryl Monge			AT&T Bell Labs
UUCP: att!ihuxy!daryl		VOICE: 708-713-4696

smiller@bcarh166.bnr.ca (Scott Miller) (05/18/91)

In article <ccAl5B600Uzx83AuIs@andrew.cmu.edu>, mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) writes:
|> ...  Atari may not go bankrupt,
|> but it'll take a miracle for it to get back anything like the market
|> share it once had.
|>
|> I remember the golden years. I was twelve years old when I got my 48K
|> Atari 800 and tape drive. I was seventeen when I got my 1040ST.
|> Atari used to have good products at great prices. No more.

In the past dozen or so years, (yah, I know, it's not really the same
company), Atari seems to have had fits of brilliance followed by... nothing.

When the VCS came out, it was a great innovation. A CARTRIDGE based video
game, an unlimited number of games in the same machine.  The 400/800 was
another bold stroke.  It had sound and graphics as good as it got in the
home computer arena.  Then, Atari twiddled it's corporate thumbs and sat on
it's Warner-Owned corporate butt and coasted into the Great Video Crash of
the early eighties.  They relied on their older technology far too long, and
it nearly killed them.  (The 600XL and 800XL were cheaper versions of the
tank-like 400/800.  I think the 1200XL had an extra function key. :-(
But I still cherish my full-colour spec sheet for the 1450XLD! )

Atari crashed, was bought out, and in an astonishingly short time, had
announced the Atari ST.  (In 130 and 520 flavours, I think)  This time, the
computer was positioned differently.  The ST was a lean, mean computing
machine. (Tm)  The other upstart, Amiga, had more bells and whistles, but
cost a lot more.  IBMs had credibility, but cost a lot more.  The
'Jackintosh' had virtually everything the Mac had, and lots more, for much
less money.  The 'game machine' company was playing in the big leagues again.

Then Atari followed the example of the pre-Tramiel Atari, and did diddly.
The Mega ST got an onboard clock, a blitter, and a detached keyboard.  Yay.

MacIntosh got bigger and faster.  Amiga got faster and lots of third party
add-ons.  Most importantly, IBMs and clones got MUCH faster, and MUCH cheaper.

As Apple introduced 68020/30 Macs at 16, then 20, then 25Mhz, where was Atari?
As 8088s gave way to 80286s, then 80386s. what were they doing?
When did the 68020 Amiga come out?  Where were the competing STs?

Atari was spending it's time and energy building clones and transputers.
The flagship machine was allowed to stagnate at 8Mhz and 4MB.  Capable, sure.
But not very glamourous, or inspirational.  Why should a third-party
developer work on a machine that the manufacturer doesn't seem to want to
support anymore?  Why would a neophyte user buy a computer with no real
upgrade path?  It's my feeling that even OFFERING a top-of-the-line machine
increases a companies ability to sell the LOW-end ones.  (As the car companies
say: Race on Sunday - Sell on Monday)  (But what about the transputer, you
ask.  Surely that was a high end machine!  But how many people have actually
SEEN one?)

Now, perhaps, the situation is changing.  Atari seems to have dumped the
clones, and the lethargy of the past few years.  A TOS upgrade eventually made
it out the door.  They FINALLY produced a 16Mhz ST, and the semi-33Mhz TT.
The 1280x960 monochrome looks as good to me today as the 640x400 did in 1985.
(Which was fantastic for the time)   With Unix on the way, the TT may find
itself back in the pack in terms of technology.  (Most certainly not ahead of
it, unfortunately.  Why a stupid 720k drive?)  The Lynx is an amazing little
beast, too.

It seems to me that PRICE is more of a problem now.  At the low end, I can
get a 1040STE/mono/no HD (since the price cut) for just a little less than
I can get a 286-12/mono/40MB HD clone.  (Alternately, the 1040 is about half
of what a Mac classic with no HD is.)

At the high end, a 386-33/SVGA/100MB HD clone is considerably less than what
Atari wants for a TT with 50MB HD and no monitor.  Products like Windows
largely hide the brain-deadness of the DOS machines, too.  Games are even
playable.

Atari may find itself confined to dangerous niche markets, unless it can
produce another POWER WITHOUT THE PRICE trump card.  It has to offer benefits
that outweigh the risks people take buying an offstream machine.

How about a TT040?  If NeXt can do it for $5K, Atari should be able to do
it for considerably less.  Even better, a cheaper TT030. (Which I want)

Some creative marketing would be nice.  Bundle in a bunch of first-rate
programs, in packages like they've had in Europe for years.  Cuts piracy,
helps the software companies, and gives the consumer a better deal.
Package a Lynx with the MegaSTE and TT.  (Isn't the most money made from
the software?)  Go for the throat.  Give'm both barrels.

Atari has at least one more kick at the cat.  (Just remember, I won't buy
any Atari that doesn't have a cartridge port!)

Geez, what a tirade.  Hope nobody minded...
Scott Miller, in the bowels of Bell-Northern Research    Voice:(613) 763-2992
                               P.O. Box 3511, Station C
.signature USES DISCLAIMER;    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7

carter@cat23.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (05/18/91)

In article <4528@bnr-rsc.UUCP> Net writes:
> [...]
>
>How about a TT040?  If NeXt can do it for $5K, Atari should be able to do
>it for considerably less.  Even better, a cheaper TT030. (Which I want)
>
>Some creative marketing would be nice.  Bundle in a bunch of first-rate
>programs, in packages like they've had in Europe for years.  Cuts piracy,
>helps the software companies, and gives the consumer a better deal.
>Package a Lynx with the MegaSTE and TT.  (Isn't the most money made from
>the software?)  Go for the throat.  Give'm both barrels.
>
>Atari has at least one more kick at the cat.  (Just remember, I won't buy
>any Atari that doesn't have a cartridge port!)
>
>Geez, what a tirade.  Hope nobody minded...
>--
>Scott Miller, in the bowels of Bell-Northern Research    Voice:(613) 763-2992
>                               P.O. Box 3511, Station C
>.signature USES DISCLAIMER;    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7

I tend to agree!  I think you hit the nail on the head.  But I have a slightly
different view.

I think Atari will survive if they gradually enable their machines to run
MAC software at least more easily, so Dave doesn't have to work so hard :).
The MEGA STE with the LAN ports for AppleTalk sure helps

I can tell everyone right now.  They only reason why I bought an atari was:

1) Turbo C 2.0 (I have several personal projects going)
2) Mac Emulation (Which takes care of the serious side of computing)

Thats its.  I HATE ST application software, except for Turbo C, probably the
most ingenious piece of software I have seen for the ST.

GEM, God, did anybody preview what kind of REAL DOG MULTI-GEM is?  Atari
I HOPE will look elsewhere, you people REALLY don't want this, I would take
a UNIX command line over MULTI GEM!  Hopefully atari will be realistic and
go the UNIX/MOTIF route.

GEM is brain dead, it never will amount to anything.  I wish I could reclaim
my ROM space IMMEDIATELY.

THANK GOD for Dave Small.  I would kiss his hiney if he was here, as I finally
managed to pick up a Spectre GCR.

All praise Gadgets by Small.

Now Dave, I WANT a 68030/040 option for my VME equipped MEGA STE!!!

I also want it less than $1000 please.

--Gregory

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (05/19/91)

I just did a bit of comparison shopping.  Sure enough, in selected applications,
the TT beats the pants off anything based on an Intel chip.  In a lot of
other applications, it runs pretty much even with a 25 MHz 80486.  And the
price is in the 80386 range.  Leaves it a very good hardware buy.  But the
software situation stinks.  You just don't see the exuberant blossoming of
neat programs to do stuff you wouldn't do with a computer except you wanted to
find another thing to do with it.  You see programs in important niches compete
on lack of bugs, rather than neat features.  Configurability is a problem too:
not that the other name-manufacturers are any nicer about selling you the
machine the way you want it set up, but Atari is the last holdout for LITTLE
boxes: if the standard configuration doesn't have what you want, you either
hang it outboard, or (in the case of a disk drive, in particular) replace the
one it came with.  No room to add stuff.  Pizza boxes are great as network
leaves, but for the one-and-only, lots of room to grow is comforting.
   For the future, the notebooks look like super-neat machines (I have some
problems figuring out how to market them, but that's not a technical issue).
A successor to the ATW could give Atari a visible presence in education and
research.  The Mega STe looks kinda lonesome at 16 MHz: if the other STe-s
ran that fast, they'd be real challengers in home and small businesses.
   So there are still some sparks.  Developing for the ST isn't so terribly
hard, but there isn't a ton of it happening.  The hardware is marketable and
marketed, just not as resourcefully as I (we?)'d like to see.
                                 Steve

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May19.035413.14005@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>I just did a bit of comparison shopping.  Sure enough, in selected applications,
>the TT beats the pants off anything based on an Intel chip.  In a lot of
>other applications, it runs pretty much even with a 25 MHz 80486.  And the
>price is in the 80386 range.  Leaves it a very good hardware buy.  But the

So you say "speed without the speed price," right?  Hold that thought.

>software situation stinks.  You just don't see the exuberant blossoming of
>neat programs to do stuff you wouldn't do with a computer except you wanted to
>find another thing to do with it.  You see programs in important niches compete

The software situation does smell pretty bad.  I use Macs a lot for graphics,
and I can probably list about 10 packages off the top of my head with plenty
more I've never seen.  The Atari arena doesn't have this diversity.

People always say that there's not much software selection in the ST community.
What kinds of stuff would people, not just you Stephen, be interested in?  It
seems we have a ton of utility packages, but very few applications.

>on lack of bugs, rather than neat features.  Configurability is a problem too:
>not that the other name-manufacturers are any nicer about selling you the
>machine the way you want it set up, but Atari is the last holdout for LITTLE
>boxes: if the standard configuration doesn't have what you want, you either
>hang it outboard, or (in the case of a disk drive, in particular) replace the
>one it came with.  No room to add stuff.  Pizza boxes are great as network
>leaves, but for the one-and-only, lots of room to grow is comforting.

Here's where the 'speed without the speed price' comes in.  One of the ways
that Atari keeps the prices of their computers low is by making them
unexpandible internally.  I don't understand why this is exactly, but
adding slots for cards and stuff drastically adds the price to a product.
I don't know why making a case a bit bigger with a few ports on the *inside*
would raise the price of a product but it does.  (This theory doesn't apply
in the MS-DOS world because there's so much competition, it lowers the
price of the products.)  It's not just Atari, but other manufacturers lower
their prices for machines that are more unexpandible than others.  NeXT cube
vs. slab.  Amiga 500 vs. 2000.  Mac IIsi vs. ci.

(Please let me know if you see holes in this theory. :^)

>   For the future, the notebooks look like super-neat machines (I have some
>problems figuring out how to market them, but that's not a technical issue).
>A successor to the ATW could give Atari a visible presence in education and
>research.  The Mega STe looks kinda lonesome at 16 MHz: if the other STe-s
>ran that fast, they'd be real challengers in home and small businesses.

The STe is fine at 8Mhz.  The only thing holding it back is marketing from
Atari.  A home machine doesn't need to be 16Mhz, although I know everyone
would like to have a 16Mhz machine for the same price as their 8Mhz.

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261
         ONE WEEK UNTIL GRADUATION!!

cummins@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (John Cummins) (05/20/91)

Boy do I wish the TT was around when the Mega came out.  I was holding
my breath for a TT... but couldn't hold it that long.

About the TT and Unix...  For us (ordinary?) gem/tos users, how close to
Unix can we get on a TT running the Unix like packages available?

Mint/Bash comes to mind....  All I've used is MSH (Mark Williams Shell
from their compiler disk...)

Seems to me there's UUCP available, couldn't we run rn, send and msg
along with our favorite c compiler?  For me... thet's all I need.
(I think...  Back when the 8-bit came out I thought all I needed ead
Atari Basic....)

John Cummins
cummins@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu

cummins@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (John Cummins) (05/20/91)

I still want a TT system unit with TOS, no HD, and no Monitor.
Don't much care for factory ram expansion either. But I don't want it
crippled.  I have serious doubts a machine like this is possible, but if
it were, it wuold be purchaced(sp?) by me..., and probably a few other
'loyal' Atarians.  Sheesh....  It couldn't cost over $1200 to $1400...
could it?  Possibly less!

Neatest thing about this machine is it would activate Atari USA's best
advertising network... a bunch of satisfied owners.... who could show
anyone a fast low-priced system...

John Cummins
cummins@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu

Patrick_Devine@resbbs.UUCP (Patrick Devine) (05/20/91)

     While it is said that IBM is an MS-DOS computer, it is not actually
true. The majority of IBM/IBM compatible users DO use MS-DOS, but that isn't
to say the machine is bound to the limitations of an outdated piece of
software being pushed well beyond its limitations.

     Nay, an IBM can service under many different Operating Systems, infact,
I wouldn't even consider using my IBM to run MS-DOS, what's the point?

     Now, I do love my Atari, don't get me wrong, bnt it also has a number of
visable faults which irritate me.  For instance, the TOS chips aren't as
accesible as they should be.  The 3.5" 720k floppy doesn't have is much
storage as it should.  It doesn't multitask (this is a biggy) and it doesn't
have the dazzle of the hi-res sprites/colours of an Amiga.

     Unless Atari fixes up the new STE's, turns it into a cheap, affordable
and POWERFUL machine, the company is going nowhere.  The TT's and the Mega
STE's are a step in the right direction, but price still detracts buyers and
sends them the IBM way.  The consequences to Atari should be crystal clear.
Power without the price.  Live up to the motto and support your machines.

-- Via DLG Pro v0.97b

patrick_devine@resbbs  -   ignorance is a way of life

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May20.024743.12954@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>In article <1991May19.035413.14005@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>
>People always say that there's not much software selection in the ST community.
>What kinds of stuff would people, not just you Stephen, be interested in?  It
>seems we have a ton of utility packages, but very few applications.

That's exactly the problem.  In the inexpensive utility field, people will
buy several similar products and use the one that suits them best.  For
applications, the prices tend to be higher, and people tend to get just one
of each kind.  This makes the competition more serious.  So we have the
potentially interesting spreadsheet and database markets dominated by one or
two maximally PC-compatible products.  Native ST products don't generate the
cash to support much 'market presence'.  The exceptions are in the fields
where the ST really shines: MIDI, CAD and DTP.  But in general, the ST market
doesn't presently support 'secondary' applications in big markets (that means
something like Ami or Professional Write in PC word processing), and doesn't
support any commercial products in minor markets.

Consider me as part of the problem.  As I endlessly repeat, I have a Stacy-
specific application ready to go.  But it probably won't appeal to many
musicians.  There aren't enough Stacys out there to justify the effort of
publishing the thing.

I guess the moral of this part is that the ST family needs *SUPER-KILLER*
applications to make the whole thing big enough to support the ordinary
applications.  It may happen.  It's more likely to happen as the machines
get better.

>>one it came with.  No room to add stuff.  Pizza boxes are great as network
>>leaves, but for the one-and-only, lots of room to grow is comforting.
>
>Here's where the 'speed without the speed price' comes in.  One of the ways
>that Atari keeps the prices of their computers low is by making them
>unexpandible internally.  I don't understand why this is exactly, but
>adding slots for cards and stuff drastically adds the price to a product.
>I don't know why making a case a bit bigger with a few ports on the *inside*
>would raise the price of a product but it does.  (This theory doesn't apply
>in the MS-DOS world because there's so much competition, it lowers the
>
>(Please let me know if you see holes in this theory. :^)

The hole in the theory is that 'PC boxes' have become commodity items.  You
can put anything you like inside of one.  How about 'office models' added
to the Atari line: the same electronics, but in a 'PC box', with an Atari
nameplate, for a mere $100 or so extra.  Define a bus for expansion cards
using the ISA-type connectors.  Don't get me wrong: Atari has some of the
nicest industrial design work around, but sometimes it's necessary to go with
a clunker to get functionality for the dollar (don't jump on me: sure, a good
design saves money when you're going from scratch: these are COMMODITY clunks)

>The STe is fine at 8Mhz.  The only thing holding it back is marketing from
>Atari.  A home machine doesn't need to be 16Mhz, although I know everyone
>would like to have a 16Mhz machine for the same price as their 8Mhz.

No.  Just no.  The potential killer application for the ST series is desktop
publishing (I think, anyway).  It gobbles cycles like Gargantua.  And the
potential 'nose of the camel' to get Atari boxes into 'respectable' places is
transparent network connectivity, which also gobbles cycles.  I sure hope
those faster STe-s are already breadboarded somewhere.
                                     Steve       saj@chinet.chi.il.us

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (05/21/91)

carter@cat23.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:

>Thats its.  I HATE ST application software, except for Turbo C, probably the
>most ingenious piece of software I have seen for the ST.

So you've probably not seen much yet.

>GEM, God, did anybody preview what kind of REAL DOG MULTI-GEM is?  Atari
>I HOPE will look elsewhere, you people REALLY don't want this, I would take
>a UNIX command line over MULTI GEM!  Hopefully atari will be realistic and
>go the UNIX/MOTIF route.

I like GEM. I _need_ MultiGEM. GEM does almost anything the MacOS will do
for you. MultiGEM will do almost anything a Mac with MultiFinder does for
you. So how can you tell us nobody wants a multitasking TOS?

>GEM is brain dead, it never will amount to anything.  I wish I could reclaim
>my ROM space IMMEDIATELY.

It's not brain dead. It works. It's quite fast, if you compare it with Windows.
It's easy to program. And I like it. Please don't think ATARI must be
a bunch of fools just because they don't follow your way of thinking.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, Germany		 	(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Claus Brod@wue.maus.de

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian F. Reschke) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May18.024738.571@daffy.cs.wisc.edu>, carter@cat23.cs.wisc.edu
(Gregory Carter) says:
>I think Atari will survive if they gradually enable their machines to run
>MAC software at least more easily, so Dave doesn't have to work so hard :).
>The MEGA STE with the LAN ports for AppleTalk sure helps

I disagree totally. Why should someone buy an Atari when he really wants
to run MAC software. Atari will only survive, if their own operating system
can compete. With things like FSMGDOS and a multitasking TOS in development..
Don't forget: TOS is 32 bit clean NOW, and you can easily run TOS software
on a 16MB machine.This is really nice for image processing and DTP.

>I can tell everyone right now.  They only reason why I bought an atari was:
>
>1) Turbo C 2.0 (I have several personal projects going)
>2) Mac Emulation (Which takes care of the serious side of computing)
>
>Thats its.  I HATE ST application software, except for Turbo C, probably the
>most ingenious piece of software I have seen for the ST.

I like Turbo C, too. But it's just an absolutely normal GEM application,
just a SciGraph, Gemini, Rufus, Interface, Script and many other fine
GEM based programs.

>GEM, God, did anybody preview what kind of REAL DOG MULTI-GEM is?  Atari
>I HOPE will look elsewhere, you people REALLY don't want this, I would take
>a UNIX command line over MULTI GEM!  Hopefully atari will be realistic and
>go the UNIX/MOTIF route.

What's the problem with Multi-GEM?

>GEM is brain dead, it never will amount to anything.  I wish I could reclaim
>my ROM space IMMEDIATELY.

If you say things like that, you have to give reasons. Comparing GEM with
Windows or Motif, there are a lot of good things both VDI and AES, and
it will someday more than one GEM program at once, I see no problems at
all.

Note: as far as I know, with Motif you simpla don't have a _virtual_
device concept: you simply can NOT redirect screen output to metafiles
or printers.

>THANK GOD for Dave Small.  I would kiss his hiney if he was here, as I finally
>managed to pick up a Spectre GCR.
>
>All praise Gadgets by Small.
>
>Now Dave, I WANT a 68030/040 option for my VME equipped MEGA STE!!!
>
>I also want it less than $1000 please.
>
>--Gregory

All I hear is: `I want'. Sure: a TT/040 with multitasking TOS, able to
run all MAC programs (what about SunOS and NextStep) would be a fine
thing...

jerry@talos.npri.com (Jerry Gitomer) (05/23/91)

Patrick_Devine@resbbs.UUCP (Patrick Devine) writes:

:     While it is said that IBM is an MS-DOS computer, it is not actually
:true. The majority of IBM/IBM compatible users DO use MS-DOS, but that isn't
:to say the machine is bound to the limitations of an outdated piece of
:software being pushed well beyond its limitations.

:     Nay, an IBM can service under many different Operating Systems, infact,
:I wouldn't even consider using my IBM to run MS-DOS, what's the point?

	As someone who runs OS-9 (really OS-9 68000), MINIX, and (on rare
	occasions) PC-DOS on my ST in addition to GEM I don't see the basis
	for your comment.

--
Jerry Gitomer at National Political Resources Inc, Alexandria, VA USA
I am apolitical, have no resources, and speak only for myself.

jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Shekhel) (05/23/91)

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:

>Sure enough, in selected applications,
>the TT beats the pants off anything based on an Intel chip.  In a lot of
>other applications, it runs pretty much even with a 25 MHz 80486.  And the
>price is in the 80386 range.

Not to flame you or anything, but I seriously doubt all three claims.  Perhaps
you could provide some numbers to substantiate them?
--
+-------------------+----------------------+---------------------------------+
| JERRY J. SHEKHEL  | POLYGEN CORPORATION  | When I was young, I had to walk |

Patrick_Devine@resbbs.UUCP (Patrick Devine) (05/24/91)

The point of my argument was that you were refering to all IBM's as MS-DOS
machines.  While that is true for the most part, a lot of IBM users (like
myself) wouldn't hear of using MS-DOS.

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian F. Reschke) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.114538.29270@qut.edu.au>, lunnon@qut.edu.au says:
>I would have to echo this, last I heard a TT (whenever they get around to
>selling them) will be about $5000 with HD 4 MB etc. _I_ want a TT with _NO_
>disk (I have a big disk already) and minimal ram. It will be cheaper if I
>plug in the simms rather than Atari. This will allow me to upgrade at a
>resonable price. If not then I guess I will buy a decstation 2000 at
>EDU discount instead (It will be cheaper).

Here in Germany you can get a TT equipped with 8MB RAM, a TTM194 and a
nice quantum drive (52 mb) for ~6500 DM. Most dealers sell you TT's with
any SCSI drive they have.
___________________________ cut here _____________________________________
Julian F. Reschke, Hensenstr. 142, D-4400 Muenster, Phone: ++49 251 861241
fast eMail: ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET,    slow: jr@ms.maus.de (++49 251 77216)
____________________ correct me if I'm wrong _____________________________

data3d@aahs.no (Karl Anders 0ygard) (05/25/91)

Y. Tsuji writes:
[stuff deleted..]
>Quite. If your favourite programs run comfortably on your TT, it's no one's
>business saying other machines are better. But if one simply compare the
>raw muscle of Intel chips and Motorola 68K series, Motorola is an obvious
>loser. I can program on 68K faster than on Intel chips so I use 68K because

[**FLAME ON**]

Seriously, this guy has *got* to be kidding! I've programmed both Intel and
Motorola processors and quite honestly it's a world apart. When I converted
from the Z80 to the MC68000 way back in '88, I was shocked at the power and
the ease of use with which this processor was programmed (I've been a M/C
fan ever since). As a lesser knowing lifeform, I went around in the belief
that PC's were the top notch, and I got myself one eager to program its
i8088 processor. But shock and horror: I found myself playing with something
that was hardly more powerful than the Z80. I soon learned that while the
MC68000 is a 16/32 bits processor, the i8088 is a 8/16-bits processor.

While mr. Y. Tsuji gets off comparing the ST/MC68000 with Fujitsu's fastest
supercomputers, I would like to quote Personal Computer World upon reviewing
the MC68040 and comparing it to the i80486: 'Motorola is the future. No
sane hardware engineer would build a computer around a i80x86 unless he would
want it to be MS-DOS compatible.'

Yeah, and the MC68040 has a execution time of 1.2 clockcycles per
instruction, compared to the i80486's 1.7 clockcycles per instruction. And
you did yourself say that the 68k series are programmed faster.

[flame off]

Thanks!

Karl Anders 0ygard
More & Romsdal Highschool of Engineering, Norway    'I ache, therefore I am.'
Email: Karl A Oygard <data3d@aahs.no>            - Marvin, the paranoid android

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (05/25/91)

I don't like to offend people who believe their machines are the best.
These people are everywhere. I thought Atarians were rather disillusioned.
For non-programming people, the sheer power of CPU may be everything but
for myself, speed means the time from the design stage, coding, debugging,
hundreds of times of debugging and rethinking to the end of a successful
execution. 68K is fast for me because I know it very well. Otherwise I'll
be reading the manuals all the time instead of concentrating on the program
itself. If someone gives me a 386 machine that runs perfect BSD4.2,
I'll be faster with it than on ATARI. (For us Japanese, 'atari' is a
rather annoying name; it's like calling 'bingo!')

chuck@richsun.reuter.com (Chuck Menard) (05/26/91)

In article <91144.113322ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET> ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian F. Reschke) writes:
>In article <1991May23.114538.29270@qut.edu.au>, lunnon@qut.edu.au says:
>>I would have to echo this, last I heard a TT (whenever they get around to
>>selling them) will be about $5000 with HD 4 MB etc. _I_ want a TT with _NO_
>>disk (I have a big disk already) and minimal ram. It will be cheaper if I
>>plug in the simms rather than Atari. This will allow me to upgrade at a
>>resonable price. If not then I guess I will buy a decstation 2000 at
>>EDU discount instead (It will be cheaper).
>
>Here in Germany you can get a TT equipped with 8MB RAM, a TTM194 and a
>nice quantum drive (52 mb) for ~6500 DM. Most dealers sell you TT's with
>any SCSI drive they have.
>___________________________ cut here _____________________________________
>Julian F. Reschke, Hensenstr. 142, D-4400 Muenster, Phone: ++49 251 861241
>fast eMail: ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET,    slow: jr@ms.maus.de (++49 251 77216)
>____________________ correct me if I'm wrong _____________________________

How's this: TT030, 4M, 50M HD, with Color Monitor - $2680
Subtract about $500 without Color Monitor.  I believe that you can also
get the 2M TT030 for just under $2000.  A 4M model includes 2M of ST
RAM on the motherboard plus another daughterboard with 2 more Meg.  One
can expand this ST RAM daughterboard to 10 M.  The fast TT RAM includes
another daughterboard with 1M Sims to add another 4M to make a TT030
8M model.  Remove the 1M Sims from this TT daughterboard and replace
them with 4M Sims to expand TT RAM to 16M.  Result total RAM = 10 +
16 = 26M.  I was told today from a dealer here in the Chicago area that
these RAM expansion boards will be ready for sale around mid June here.

CUL,
Chuck

chuj@horton.Colorado.EDU (CHU JEFFREY) (05/29/91)

In article <1111@stewart.UUCP> jerry@stewart.UUCP (Jerry Shekhel) writes:
>saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>>
>>Sure enough, in selected applications,
>>the TT beats the pants off anything based on an Intel chip.  In a lot of
>>other applications, it runs pretty much even with a 25 MHz 80486.  And the
>>price is in the 80386 range.
>>

>Not to flame you or anything, but I seriously doubt all three claims.  Perhaps
>you could provide some numbers to substantiate them?

I doubt it too, there was a demo of the TT here by an ATARI club, the
representative said the TT 68030 was equal to a 386-20 machine and only
2 MIPS, I found this hard to believe since there was so much talk of it,
I still think it does close to 8MIPS, but since there is so much people
disagreeing with the performance of the TT, I don't know what the real
MIPS on it.  Also does anyone know how many MFLOPS the TT does?  Like I
said the TT is not equivalent to the i486 and probably not the new 386-40.
The 386-33 is running 7.92 MIPS and the i486-25 is 11.1 MIPS.
THIS IS NOT A FLAME (I am a ATARIAN and probably always will be)

							Jeff

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (05/29/91)

It is really off the point talking about what is the _maximum_ MIPs of a 030
machine. TT is likely to be less than 2.0 MIPs. Even if the CPU got a vast
cache memory, the access time to the actual DRAM is often the decisive factor.
Good CPU boards usually have 80-ns-4-MEGAbit DRAMs and when successive
addresses are accessed the Column Address Strobe is repeated, reducing the
access time dramatically. If these modern techniques are missing, the
instructions already on the cache memory may be executed very fast, but the
overall performance will be deadly slow.
I once used a 020 machine at 10 MHz but it was actually much slower than our
ST because it had to be swapping memory to/from disks as it was a virtual
memory machine!
The actual performance can be measured only by using a typical application
program on them: I think my ST at 8 MHz is fast enough for my need.
Cheers,
Tsuji

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.180143.4644@colorado.edu> chuj@horton.Colorado.EDU (CHU JEFFREY) writes:
>In article <1111@stewart.UUCP> jerry@stewart.UUCP (Jerry Shekhel) writes:
>>saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>>>
>>>Sure enough, in selected applications,
>>>the TT beats the pants off anything based on an Intel chip.  In a lot of
>>>other applications, it runs pretty much even with a 25 MHz 80486.  And the
>>>price is in the 80386 range.
>>>

>>Not to flame you or anything, but I seriously doubt all three claims.  Perhaps
>>you could provide some numbers to substantiate them?
>
>I doubt it too, there was a demo of the TT here by an ATARI club, the
>representative said the TT 68030 was equal to a 386-20 machine and only
>2 MIPS, I found this hard to believe since there was so much talk of it,
>I still think it does close to 8MIPS, but since there is so much people
>disagreeing with the performance of the TT, I don't know what the real
>MIPS on it.  Also does anyone know how many MFLOPS the TT does?  Like I
>said the TT is not equivalent to the i486 and probably not the new 386-40.
>The 386-33 is running 7.92 MIPS and the i486-25 is 11.1 MIPS.
>THIS IS NOT A FLAME (I am a ATARIAN and probably always will be)
>

>							Jeff

Some particulars.  Dynacadd ($1000 list, but available for about $550) handles
drawings as well as Auto CAD.  On a TT with a math coprocessor, it does an
arbitrary rotation of the semi-standard space shuttle drawing in essentially
human reaction time (not quite, but too fast to time conveniently).  Last I
heard, a '486 running Auto CAD took about 2 seconds.  Pagestream and Calamus
run at practical speeds on the TT; they are highly usable (I use Pagestream on
a Mega, myself, and while it's highly functional, some text operations are
slower than I'd like).  The comparable programs for Intel chips, whatever their
merits, just don't seem to get used.  Similarly, because of the Atari-MIDI
connection, there are good heavy-duty MIDI programs for the TT; in the
'mainstream', the word seems to be that for MIDI you get a Mac.

Pricing: we just saw a quote of $2100 for a stripped TT.  That's '386 pricing.
Similarly, the full configuration prices for the TT seem to be in the low
$3000 range.  Same comment.

Routine applications: my big routine application is chromatographic data
processing.  Big disk files going through once.  Anything faster than a '386
25 runs i/o bound on this one, so all fast machines look the same.  Any big
math operation that has an inner loop that takes up residence in on-chip cache
(and that's a lot of the market for cycles right there) is going to turn over
amazing numbers of MIPS on any fast processor.  The relative amazingness is
going to depend on machine cycles per instruction (slight advantage to the '486
I believe) and efficiency of data addressing (slight advantage to the '030).

About that 2 MIPS for a 32 MHz '030 box: the TT needs some configuring to work
at its best.  This is new for Atari machines, but is old hat for other micros
(and minis).  Run a program with bad locality of addressing entirely out of
RAM shared with video, maybe you can make it run that slowly.  Unfortunately,
unless someone tells the system not to, that's the RAM the program will use.
And locality just wasn't the issue in 68000 programming that it is in 68030
programming, so lots of existing programs aren't ideal for the TT.  Which comes
to the old lament that the only real benchmark is YOUR application.

The BIG problem with the TT (and all machines Atari) is that the VARIETY of
applications just isn't out there.  The big applications are covered, but not
with a whole lot of different choices.  And Atari doesn't make it easy to
develop for their newer machines (although they try to make up for it with
their help once an application is developed).

I hate to argue in public.  I'd have done this in email, but I think maybe this
discussion might be worth keeping going.
                                            Steve

Patrick_Devine@resbbs.UUCP (Patrick Devine) (05/31/91)

     Here, in Vancouver, $3000 is in the 486/386-33 range.  Of course, that's
with an 80Mb Hard Drive, VGA 1024X768 1Mb Ram video card, and 1-4Mb's or RAM.
The TT on the other hand costs just as much for a lot less.  A 386-22 w/VGA,
100+Mb hard disk, etc. is now $1900.  All prices are in Canadian dollars
aswell, so that would be around $1650US.  It looks as if Atari is cutting
itself short .. again.

patrick_devine

-- Via DLG Pro v0.97b

<eof>

chuj@horton.Colorado.EDU (CHU JEFFREY) (05/31/91)

In article <Patrick_Devine.3646@resbbs.UUCP> Patrick_Devine@resbbs.UUCP (Patrick Devine) writes:

>     Here, in Vancouver, $3000 is in the 486/386-33 range.  Of course, that's
>with an 80Mb Hard Drive, VGA 1024X768 1Mb Ram video card, and 1-4Mb's or RAM.
>The TT on the other hand costs just as much for a lot less.  A 386-22 w/VGA,
>100+Mb hard disk, etc. is now $1900.  All prices are in Canadian dollars
>aswell, so that would be around $1650US.  It looks as if Atari is cutting
>itself short .. again.
>
>patrick_devine
>
>-- Via DLG Pro v0.97b

ATARI is not cheap anymore "POWER WITHOUT THE PRICE" now it should be said
"PRICE WITHOUT THE POWER".  In my store I sell the 486-33 for alot cheaper
than that.  My 486 systems start at $2275 with HD and monitor, and I seen them
alot cheaper in mags., you just have to look for them.  By the way what is
386-22? or do you mean 386-33.

					Jeff

In article <1991May31.052951.13342@colorado.edu> chuj@horton.Colorado.EDU (CHU JEFFREY) writes:
>In article <Patrick_Devine.3646@resbbs.UUCP> Patrick_Devine@resbbs.UUCP (Patrick Devine) writes:
>ATARI is not cheap anymore "POWER WITHOUT THE PRICE" now it should be said
>"PRICE WITHOUT THE POWER".  In my store I sell the 486-33 for alot cheaper
>than that.  My 486 systems start at $2275 with HD and monitor, and I seen them
>alot cheaper in mags., you just have to look for them.  By the way what is
>386-22? or do you mean 386-33.

I wanted to state that the following was mine opinion, this is not to cause
any flames.  After posting this I realize perhaps people may get the wrong
idea.  Someone has already sent mail stating how I am  against ATARI, WRONG,
I am interested in purchasing a TT and this is how I can learn from people
posting the reasons and why the TT is worth purchasing.  I don't plan on
spending close to 3000 on a system in which I am unaware of things.  I must
know all point of views and try to get ATARIANS to respond.  AS for against
ATARI I have been in flame wars before in defense of ATARI against many
other system users, but only to get involved when I see someone stating
incorrect claims. (TT = i486-25 for example).

					Jeff

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (06/01/91)

I hope Jeff won't object to my disclosing a specific issue he mentioned to me
in email; it will help people identify what might interest him.

One of his major applications is animated graphics, for which he is prepared to
write his own code.  To me, that sounds like a set-up in favor of the TT.  If
anyone has benchmarks or pointers to tools directly relating to animated
graphics, this might be a good time to mention them.

What I'll mention is that there's said to be an awesome TT demo (about an
hour's download time worth of it) recently put up on GEnie by Bob Brodie.  I
won't see it myself for a while, but perhaps someone has more to say about it?

                                 Steve       saj@chinet.chi.il.us