[comp.sys.atari.st] ST code or C source for uncompressing .hqx & .sit files: Wanted!

redmond+@cs.cmu.edu (Redmond English) (05/29/91)

I'd like to try converting some mac fonts to GDOS format, but all the
ftp font archives have the mac fonts compressed using something that
creates .sit and .hqx extensions.

Does anybody know of any way I can uncompress these files on either my
ST or a unix system (before down loading) ?

                            Thanks in advance,

                                    Red/.

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (05/30/91)

++ Does anybody know of any way I can uncompress these files on either my
++ ST or a unix system (before down loading) ?

Try looking for unix utilities on apple or sumex-aim ftp-accessible archives.
'Mcvert' is a Eunuchs-hosted .hqx converter (to .sit) and 'Unsit' unarchives
.sit files.

Graham
======

Graham Higgins                  |  gjh%ghiggins@hpl.hp.co.uk
Hewlett-Packard Labs            |  gjh%ghiggins@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Filton Road, Stoke Gifford      |  gjh%hplb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Bristol, U.K.                   |  ...!mcvax!ukc!hplb!gjh
Tel: +44 272 799910 x24014         Fax: +44 272 790554
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

fh@well.sf.ca.us (Fabian Hahn) (06/02/91)

redmond+@cs.cmu.edu (Redmond English) writes:

>I'd like to try converting some mac fonts to GDOS format, but all the
>ftp font archives have the mac fonts compressed using something that
>creates .sit and .hqx extensions.

There is a program called mcvert for unix that will convert .hqx files to
mac binarys. Once you are there you need some utility that will convert
the Mac fonts to GDOS format.

The .sit files are created by StuffIt!, the Mac equivalent to arc files. The
details for StuffIt! files are available, but I do not know of any
implementations on the ATARI. You might have to "unStuff" them on a
PC or a Mac.

Fabian