[comp.sys.atari.st] TT/68882

CSULLOGG@CRL.AECL.CA (05/31/91)

One netter asked if the TT includes the 68882; mine did and the TT manual
stated that it is a TT standard feature, not an option. It has a clock
speed of 32MHz, just like the 68030. The MegaSTE manual states that the
68881 is an option. Note, for firm believers that Atari never delivers;
THIS MESSAGE CREATED ON A TT. Now, if only the software base would
expand (yeah, I know I can run Macware, after all I use GCR!!!!!).

apalmer@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Albert "Earthquake" Palmer) (06/02/91)

In article <27361@know.pws.bull.com> CSULLOGG@CRL.AECL.CA writes:
>One netter asked if the TT includes the 68882; mine did and the TT manual
>stated that it is a TT standard feature, not an option. It has a clock
>speed of 32MHz, just like the 68030. The MegaSTE manual states that the
>68881 is an option. Note, for firm believers that Atari never delivers;
>THIS MESSAGE CREATED ON A TT. Now, if only the software base would
>expand (yeah, I know I can run Macware, after all I use GCR!!!!!).

This message is also being posted from a TT.  My TT manual also stated that
I have a 68882, but Mac software says I have a 68881.  Has anyone else
seen this?  My machine came with TOS 3.01.  I purchased it just 3 weeks
ago.  I wish I knew why Atari is shipping machines with down rev TOS
and the wrong math co-processor.  On a positive note, I love the new
desktop.  I'm the legal owner of both DC Desktop and NeoDesk.  Gribnif
lost me as a customer when they wanted more for the upgrade to 3.0 than
I could buy it mail order.  I prefer the TT desktop.

The TT is fast and Mac/Spectre is even faster. (much Mac software uses
the 68881)  I am very happy with the purchase.  Both local stores are
sold out of TT and waiting for more from Atari.  (B&C and SJC)

al palmer

hvaalde@cs.vu.nl (Aalderen van Harold) (06/02/91)

apalmer@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Albert "Earthquake" Palmer) writes:

>This message is also being posted from a TT.  My TT manual also stated that
>I have a 68882, but Mac software says I have a 68881.

Your mac software is wrong I think, but anyway I wrote a program (SYSINFO)
that will give information about the configuration of your system,
I posted it to c.b.a.s two months ago, unfortunately that version did it
wrong, but you can still use it to look which FPU you have
look at the cookiejar info at the cookie _FPU if it has value 0x00020000
you have the 68882.
A new version of sysinfo will be posted to c.b.a.s very soon, this one will
use FPU instruction to tell the difference between 68881 and 68882

hvaalde@cs.vu.nl