[comp.sys.atari.st] assorted TT questions

meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (05/30/91)

Hi,

I'm in the process of convincing myself to buy a TT, and I'm stuck with
the following questions:

As I'm told the TT does not have a 68882 on board, but does have
a socket for such a beast. Right?
What speed must this beast have, or can is the speed selectable?
the 68881 and 68882 are supposed to be compatible. I owe a 68881.
Can I use that one instead (assuming it is the right speed).

I'm a little puzzled by a previous posting about how memory is
implemented. Are there two different daugtherboards??
If I buy a 2 MB system is it then just a case to add sims if I want to
upgrade to 4 MB? If not, I think I'll prefer to buy a 4 MB system.
Is such a 4 MB system easily upgradable (e.g. by adding (or maybe
replacing) simms). From a previous posting I concluded that there is
a different daugther board if you go to 8MB. Is the ram on the
second daughter board faster than on the first one??

What speed is the ram actually. Do I get wait states when accessing the
memory? In any of the above cases??

Then there is the monitor.  Is it possible to use an ST monitor if the
screen is in an ST resolution??
I think the price on a TT monitor is on the high side. However, I'm
told that this is just a regular VGA monitor. Can I go out and buy a VGA
monitor and use it?
I assume I need a monitor with 640x480 resolution and 60 or 70 hz
refresh rate, and a D connector plug (forgotten the number of pins).
Do I need a color monitor, or can I also use a monochrome monitor.
Using a monochrome monitor would cut the price with $ 200 or $ 250, and
I do not really need color.

If someone could answer these questions that would be very appreciated.

Thanks!
--
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@prl.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology

baffoni@aludra.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) (05/31/91)

In article <meulenbr.675587949@cstw163> meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I'm in the process of convincing myself to buy a TT, and I'm stuck with
>the following questions:
>
>As I'm told the TT does not have a 68882 on board, but does have
>a socket for such a beast. Right?

   No the 68882 is standard (however, it may be in a socket...?).

>What speed must this beast have, or can is the speed selectable?
>the 68881 and 68882 are supposed to be compatible. I owe a 68881.
>Can I use that one instead (assuming it is the right speed).

  The 68882, like the 68030, runs at 32 MHz.

>I'm a little puzzled by a previous posting about how memory is
>implemented. Are there two different daugtherboards??
>If I buy a 2 MB system is it then just a case to add sims if I want to
>upgrade to 4 MB? If not, I think I'll prefer to buy a 4 MB system.
>Is such a 4 MB system easily upgradable (e.g. by adding (or maybe
>replacing) simms). From a previous posting I concluded that there is
>a different daugther board if you go to 8MB. Is the ram on the
>second daughter board faster than on the first one??

  Ok.  The two basic memory types are ST and TT ram.  ST ram is located on
the mother board (I believe that there is 2MB soldered and 2MB socketed which
are empty if you get a 2MB TT or a 4MBTT with 2MB TTram) and doesn't need a
daughterboard.  TT ram does need a Daughter board (its more than just a bunch
of SIMM sockets - it also has a chip that allows access to the TT memory).
The TT daughterboard holds 4 SIMMS - up to 16MB max (using 4MB SIMMS).  Using
the card slot inside the machine, you can add a memory board for even more
memory.  However, in neither case is it simply a matter of slapping SIMMS into
your machine (unless you already have the TT daugterboard).

>What speed is the ram actually. Do I get wait states when accessing the
>memory? In any of the above cases??

   Since the machine runs at 32MHz, I assume that there are at least 1 wait
state on all memory, the TT ram having less than the ST ram.

>Then there is the monitor.  Is it possible to use an ST monitor if the
>screen is in an ST resolution??

   No.  Even though the TT displays ST resolutions, it does it on the same
signal that displays the TT's special resolutions.

>I think the price on a TT monitor is on the high side. However, I'm
>told that this is just a regular VGA monitor. Can I go out and buy a VGA
>monitor and use it?

Probably.  I can't see why not (except you may need to "customize" the cable
connector).

>I assume I need a monitor with 640x480 resolution and 60 or 70 hz
>refresh rate, and a D connector plug (forgotten the number of pins).
>Do I need a color monitor, or can I also use a monochrome monitor.
>Using a monochrome monitor would cut the price with $ 200 or $ 250, and
>I do not really need color.

  I forget - is  640x480 the max resolution of the TT's color screens?  If not,
you will need to get a monitor that reflects that limit.

>If someone could answer these questions that would be very appreciated.
>
>Thanks!
>--
>Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@prl.philips.nl)
>	Centre for Software Technology

   Hope that does it!

-Mike

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (06/03/91)

meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) writes:

>As I'm told the TT does not have a 68882 on board, but does have
>a socket for such a beast. Right?

The TT comes with a 68882 running at 32 MHz.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, Germany		 	(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Claus_Brod@wue.maus.de