[comp.sys.atari.st] longer cable for Atari SH204 HD?

kgg@zinn.MV.COM (Kenn Goutal) (06/02/91)

I have a 1040ST with the Atari SH204 hard disk drive.
The cable that came with it is about 1.5 feet long,
and this *severely* limits where I can put the drive
relative to the system/keyboard.
Is it possible to get a longer cable???
Will a longer cable work?  (i.e. is the protocol length-sensitive?)
If so, is there a part number I should look for,
and where could I buy this cable?

Many thanks,
-- Kenn Goutal

CompuServe:	71117.2572		(PARTI handle: kenn)
GEnie:		K.GOUTAL
Internet:	kenn@zinn.MV.COM   or	kenn@rr.MV.COM
[The] PO!NT:	kenn
Telepath:	kenn
UUCP:		...decvax!zinn!kenn  or	...decvax!zinn!rr!kenn

|  Ship and Travel Intermodally -- Commute Electronically!  |

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (06/04/91)

kgg@zinn.MV.COM (Kenn Goutal) writes:
>I have a 1040ST with the Atari SH204 hard disk drive.
>The cable that came with it is about 1.5 feet long,
>and this *severely* limits where I can put the drive
>relative to the system/keyboard.
>Is it possible to get a longer cable???
>Will a longer cable work?  (i.e. is the protocol length-sensitive?)

The DMA cable has to be short.  Atari once accidentally shipped drives with
a 3' cable, and all hell broke loose.  Some third parties ship thier drives
with long cables, too, but you use those at your peril.  About 2' is all
you get with any reliability.  If those 6" mean a lot to you, ask a dealer.