[comp.sys.atari.st] Fan on the MEGAFILE 30

whitten@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/31/91)

I've had a megafile 30 for about a year, and the only complaint
I've had is the loud fan.  Is it really needed, or will the
drive run cool enough without it?  Are there any ways to quiet the
fan, maybe replacing it with a quieter one?

THanks,
Chris

 WHITTEN@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU              Chris Whittenburg, Univ. of Kansas
 WHITTEN@UKANVAX.bitnet                        Electrical Engineering

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.221736.31169@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, whitten@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> I've had a megafile 30 for about a year, and the only complaint
> I've had is the loud fan.  Is it really needed, or will the
> drive run cool enough without it?  Are there any ways to quiet the
> fan, maybe replacing it with a quieter one?

At first I thought the same and replaced a better fan, which made no
difference (human feel the noise is reduced to half when it is reduced to
one tenth). I then added a couple of diodes along the 12 V line to the fan
to reduce the voltage and turn the fan slower. This didn't make a difference
either.  I then bought another 5.25" disk second hand (66 MB at US$150) which
is reputed to be the least noisy. The noise has been reduced to half, but
it was still roaring!
I then bought a 3.5" disk of the same specification at the same price. The
noise has been reduced quite substantially now. But I must say it is still
noisier than ordinary 104 MB SCSI drives.

The megafile30's original drive was a seagate thing and got heated very
easily. People sometimes sticks a very think fan on the drive mechanism
directly,but the casing of megafile30 does not allow this.

A warining: a 3.5" drive cannot be replaced on the 5.25" mounting.

Tsuji

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (05/31/91)

P.S.
The drive to be replaced must be RLL or 'as good as RLL certified'.

gerloff@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Olaf Gerloff) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.221736.31169@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, whitten@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

|> I've had a megafile 30 for about a year, and the only complaint
|> I've had is the loud fan.  Is it really needed, or will the
|> drive run cool enough without it?  Are there any ways to quiet the
|> fan, maybe replacing it with a quieter one?

Hello Chris!
I think you need the fan, because those Seagate drives in the MEGAFILE 30
can get hot. Here in Germany are kit's aviable to make the fan not so loud.
First of all you can remove the lattice behind the fan. I heard of some
people that solder a resistor in the power connection of the fan.
I have a little kit, that turns the fan only on, if it is to hot in the
drive. You need nothing to solder for that one.

Greetings, Olaf
* Olaf Gerloff                     * Internet: GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de *
* Technical University Berlin (FRG)*   or      gerloff@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de  *
* Department of Computer Science   * BITNET  : GERLOFF@DB0TUI11              *
* Computerbased Informationsystems * Usenet  : ...!mcsun!unido!opal!gerloff  *
*               Impossible things will be executed immediately,              *
*                       miracles take a little longer!                       *

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (05/31/91)

Insert an speed regulator on your fan (so did I and it workt great).
It adjusts the speed to fit the temp. inside the harddisk...

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST
__________/ ______________________/   ____/   /   Klubben,  user association

jeroen@cs.ruu.nl (Jeroen Fokker) (06/03/91)

Olaf Gerloff writes:

> whitten@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>
>|> I've had a megafile 30 for about a year, and the only complaint
>|> I've had is the loud fan.  Is it really needed, or will the
>|> drive run cool enough without it?
>
> I have a little kit, that turns the fan only on, if it is to hot in the
> drive. You need nothing to solder for that one.

I have that kit, too. Or rather: I _had_ it. I disconnected it,
because since it was installed, I had some troubles with the disk.

When the disk was used for more than four hours the day before,
it wouldn't start up again. I nedd to shake the entire disk quite
roughly to get it rotating again. I know some day this will have
disastrous effects...

I blame the fan thermostate for this problem. Unfortunately, although
I disconnected it, I have still this startup problem.
I wouldnt recommend a fan thermostate.

--
Jeroen Fokker                                 |  jeroen@cs.ruu.nl
dept.of Computer Science, Utrecht University  |  tel.+31-30-534129

baffoni@aludra.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun03.074746.17142@cs.ruu.nl> jeroen@cs.ruu.nl (Jeroen Fokker) writes:

>I have that kit, too. Or rather: I _had_ it. I disconnected it,
>because since it was installed, I had some troubles with the disk.
>
>When the disk was used for more than four hours the day before,
>it wouldn't start up again. I nedd to shake the entire disk quite
>roughly to get it rotating again. I know some day this will have
>disastrous effects...

  I wouldn't be so quick to blame the kit on this problem.  I see SO many
disks come in where I work that have this problem, where the spindle sticks.
It happens on low capacity drives (especialy 3 1/2" drives like the ST125(N))
a lot.  No one has been able to tell me how to fix this problem (if it is
fixable), but I have found that by manually rotating the spindle frees it up
a lot safer than shaking it.

>--
>Jeroen Fokker                                 |  jeroen@cs.ruu.nl
>dept.of Computer Science, Utrecht University  |  tel.+31-30-534129
>PObox 80089, 3508TB Utrecht, the Netherlands  |  fax.+31-30-513791

-Mike

NCOYNE@ESOC.BITNET (06/04/91)

Hi
just a quick one and at the moment I dont have the exact details but a friend
of mine modified the casing and mounting around the fan and now you can hardly
hear it .
If any one is interested then Mail me and I will go round and see him to get
some finner details.

Nick Coyne NCOYNE@ESOC.BITNET

s882854@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Tehn Chin) (06/04/91)

whitten@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>I've had a megafile 30 for about a year, and the only complaint
>I've had is the loud fan.  Is it really needed, or will the
>drive run cool enough without it?  Are there any ways to quiet the
>fan, maybe replacing it with a quieter one?

>THanks,
>Chris

> WHITTEN@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU              Chris Whittenburg, Univ. of Kansas
> WHITTEN@UKANVAX.bitnet                        Electrical Engineering
>=============================================================================

This may not apply, but I had a SH205 hardrive in a Mega ST box. I, too, was
getting pissed off by the loud fan. I open it and noticed that the hand was not bolted to anything but it just sits into a slot. I then put some blue-tac so
that it will stick to one of the side walls to stop it vibrating against the
surrounding wall or stop it jumping around in its slot. I was quite amaze as to
the amount of noise being removed.
I have not seen the inside of a megafile 30, but I assume that it would be the
same.
The blue-tac material is some stuff that will adhere two piece of material but
with the ability to separate them later.
Tehn Yit Chin
s882854@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU
Royal Melbourne Insititute of Technology, Australia.