[comp.sys.atari.st] Unix for the TT?

tnfw0@isuvax.iastate.edu (05/31/91)

Since I haven't seen any talk about this subject, I'll start some. Is UNIX yet
available for the TT, or is that somewhere in the indefinite (infinte?) future?

                        Steven Ourada

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.035651.26744@news.iastate.edu> tnfw0@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>Since I haven't seen any talk about this subject, I'll start some. Is UNIX yet
>available for the TT, or is that somewhere in the indefinite (infinte?) future?
>
>                        Steven Ourada

Unix System V Release 4 is available for TT.  The package consists of
TT 030/8 or higher (16 Mb would be quite good), harddisk bigger than
200Mb (I'm not quite sure of this), X-Windows, TTM 194 19" MC-monitor
and a big bunch of software and manuals.
I don't know the exact price, but it is much lower than the NeXT Station,
and A 3000 & Unix SVR4.

Just checked, the harddisk is 200Mb, and there are also VME Ethernet network
card, OSF/Motif, and GNU package (with C, C++ etc.).

My personal opinion is that you should get a harddisk of at least 400Mb and
minimum 16Mb of total RAM to run this Unix well enough (=fast enough).

A friend of mine told me that his Unix workstation has a 1.2Gb hd and it is
just about enough... But it has it's own nntp package and mail handler.

* Jari Lehto     *     90-387939      * Jari.Lehto@hut.fi     * Music, love & *
* Tenavatie 19 A *     90-382887      * jartsu@vipunen.hut.fi * friendship!   *
* 00760 HELSINKI *    94040/02887     * jartsu@otax.hut.fi    * Garlic, beer &*
* Finland	 * fax +358 0 8735916 * s37837k@saha.hut.fi   * sausage!      *

cmp8157@sys.uea.ac.uk (S.M. Sowerby) (06/03/91)

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:

>Unix System V Release 4 is available for TT.  The package consists of
>TT 030/8 or higher (16 Mb would be quite good), harddisk bigger than
>200Mb (I'm not quite sure of this), X-Windows, TTM 194 19" MC-monitor
>and a big bunch of software and manuals.
>I don't know the exact price, but it is much lower than the NeXT Station,
>and A 3000 & Unix SVR4.
>
>Just checked, the harddisk is 200Mb, and there are also VME Ethernet network
>card, OSF/Motif, and GNU package (with C, C++ etc.).
>
>My personal opinion is that you should get a harddisk of at least 400Mb and
>minimum 16Mb of total RAM to run this Unix well enough (=fast enough).
>
>A friend of mine told me that his Unix workstation has a 1.2Gb hd and it is
>just about enough... But it has it's own nntp package and mail handler.

The information I have (from a UK magazine) is:

Standard Unix-TT :  TT030/8-210 (i.e. 8Mb RAM,210Mb hard disk) with
		    Unix 5.4, X-Windows (can't remember version no),
		    OSF/Motif, GNU package, TTM-194 19" monitor.
		      Price = $4000 US

Network Unix-TT  :  As above but with Ethernet among other comms stuff (not
	            detailed)
		      Price = $4500 US

Unix Upgrade     :  Unix, X-Windows, OSF/Motif, GNU stuff installed
		    on 210Mb hard disk.
		      Price = $1600 US
  -This is the one I'm interested in as I currently have a TT030-8/40

	One interesting piece of software from a company called X-Software
(or something like that) was said to allow GEM programs to run within an
X-Windows window... adds the very nice feature of not needing to reboot or
come out of Unix to run standard ST/TT software.

	I'm pretty sure the prices I give were the ones quoted (magazine
is at home, not here!) but I'll check and post the correct prices if I've
got them wrong...

	Just out of interest has anybody seen any TT-specific programs out
there which really make use of the beast's power ?  I've heard about a new
art package which handles TT-low and TT-high screen resolutions but that's
about it.

Steve Sowerby, 				    (cmp8157@s1.uea.ac.uk)
School of Information Systems,
University of East Anglia,
Norwich NR4 7TJ, England.

rcte2p@menudo.uh.edu (Paul S. Sears) (06/04/91)

cmp8157@sys.uea.ac.uk (S.M. Sowerby) boldy writes in article <1249@sys.uea.ac.uk>
>s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:
>
>>Unix System V Release 4 is available for TT.  The package consists of
>>TT 030/8 or higher (16 Mb would be quite good), harddisk bigger than
>>200Mb (I'm not quite sure of this), X-Windows, TTM 194 19" MC-monitor
>>and a big bunch of software and manuals.
>>I don't know the exact price, but it is much lower than the NeXT Station,
>>and A 3000 & Unix SVR4.

Much lower than a NeXT?  What, are you talking about the NeXT Color
Workstation with 32bit color?

>>Just checked, the harddisk is 200Mb, and there are also VME Ethernet network
>>card, OSF/Motif, and GNU package (with C, C++ etc.).
>>
>>My personal opinion is that you should get a harddisk of at least 400Mb and
>>minimum 16Mb of total RAM to run this Unix well enough (=fast enough).
>>
>>A friend of mine told me that his Unix workstation has a 1.2Gb hd and it is
>>just about enough... But it has it's own nntp package and mail handler.
>
>The information I have (from a UK magazine) is:
>
>Standard Unix-TT :  TT030/8-210 (i.e. 8Mb RAM,210Mb hard disk) with
>		    Unix 5.4, X-Windows (can't remember version no),
>		    OSF/Motif, GNU package, TTM-194 19" monitor.
>		      Price = $4000 US

I can get a NeXTstation (mono) here with a 106M HD, 2.88M Floppy, 19"
Mono (crisp) monitor, Mach OS, X-windows, AND ethernet for $3K with my
student discount.  Now, if Atari offered a student discount, then, your
claim that the TT is "much lower" than the NeXT might be valid...

[rest deleted]

>Steve Sowerby, 				    (cmp8157@s1.uea.ac.uk)
>School of Information Systems,
>University of East Anglia,

Btw, I am die hard Atari... just I don't like people making statements
that are not supported very well...

--
* Paul Sears * Technology    ***    |"The greater an individual's power
* The University of Houston  ***    | over others, the greater the evil that

baffoni@aludra.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) (06/04/91)

In article <1991May31.192058.10926@nntp.hut.fi> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:
>Unix System V Release 4 is available for TT.  The package consists of
>TT 030/8 or higher (16 Mb would be quite good), harddisk bigger than
>200Mb (I'm not quite sure of this), X-Windows, TTM 194 19" MC-monitor
>and a big bunch of software and manuals.
>I don't know the exact price, but it is much lower than the NeXT Station,
>and A 3000 & Unix SVR4.
  By a little?  A lot?  Is that only available in Europe/Canada or is that/
will that be available in the US too?

>Just checked, the harddisk is 200Mb, and there are also VME Ethernet network
>card, OSF/Motif, and GNU package (with C, C++ etc.).

  Are there extra card slots?  If not, will there be some way of expanding past
the 20MB limit (16TT + 4ST ram) since the slot would be taken up by the
ethernet card?

>* Jari Lehto    *     90-387939      * Jari.Lehto@hut.fi     * Music, love & *
>* Tenavatie 19 A*     90-382887      * jartsu@vipunen.hut.fi * friendship!   *
>* 00760 HELSINKI*    94040/02887     * jartsu@otax.hut.fi    * Garlic, beer &*
>* Finland	 * fax +358 0 8735916 * s37837k@saha.hut.fi   * sausage!      *

	I had a question for all the hardware gurus who know whats what about
the TT - like Alan Pratt, etc.   I know that the TT uses a daughter-board
to use the TT "fast" memory, and that this board has chips that allow access
of up to 16MB  of memory.  What I was wondering is, is this 16MB limit a limit
due to the daughter-board, a limit of the TT, or just a limit of the TOS?
For instance, would it be possible for a third party company (if Atari does't
do it themselves) to manufacture a daughter-board that accesses more than
the present 16MB?

-Mike

PS:  Is the unix/TT the same hardware with the new software, or are there any
hardware changes?  New card slots?  New ROMs (I had heard they couldn't run
ST software _and_ run the Unix software)?

jgreen@modcomp.uucp (Joe Green) (06/04/91)

rcte2p@menudo.uh.edu (Paul S. Sears) writes:
>I can get a NeXTstation (mono) here with a 106M HD, 2.88M Floppy, 19"
>Mono (crisp) monitor, Mach OS, X-windows, AND ethernet for $3K with my
>student discount.  Now, if Atari offered a student discount, then, your
>claim that the TT is "much lower" than the NeXT might be valid...

Now, if I had a student discount, your claim might be valid.  As it is,
the original claim that the TT is lower cost *is* valid for me.

--
Joe Green				jgreen@modcomp.UUCP
Modular Computer Systems, Inc.		modcomp!jgreen@uunet.UU.NET