[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari HD hostadapters/drivers.

mbaker@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Matthew Baker) (05/29/91)

Greetings all!

I'm looking for some information on the available host adapters for the ST,
and also driver s/w.

Currently I am running a Megafile 30 adapter board and an NEC D3142
drive.  Someone I know is looking for an RLL controller to talk to an RLL
CDC wren, and I want to sell my controller to this person.

This places me in a difficult position: I need to find a new controller.

My current unit took me 3 months and untold hassles with certain Oz atari
techs, and I don't really want to try this again.

An well, I have my eyes on another 3142, with which I hope to add a minix
filesystem to my machine.

Thus, I am seeking a hostadapter which will run RLL : the only possibilites
seem to me to be:

ICD + Adaptec 4000A.

Supra. (is this ACSI <-> RLL or ACSI <-> SCSI???)

Berkley Microsystems. (again, to what?? RLL? SCSI?)

Are there other hostadapters available??
Are they any good??
Costs??

Please, being hereunder in Oz, can I have some addresses for the
_manufacturer_ or a dealer that will export here?

With regards to driver s/w, I understand that the Atari HDI will not support
more than one drive per LUN. - how about the Supra/ICD/Berkley drivers?

How about Claus' driver (CBHD) - cost, language, etc...

Many thanks all.

Matthew.

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (06/03/91)

mbaker@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Matthew Baker) writes:

>How about Claus' driver (CBHD) - cost, language, etc...

I won't comment on my own driver, just on its availability. Currently,
it's only available as part of my book, and the book is written in German.
There are three options if you want to use my driver:
- you can read German --> get the book
- you can't read German, but we somehow finally find a good translator
  and distributor for the US and UK --> maybe there will be an English version
- there will be a stand-alone version of the driver later this year (hopefully)

As I said before, I won't comment on whether it is worth waiting for my driver.
Enough advertising for today.\

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, Germany		 	(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Claus_Brod@wue.maus.de

>Many thanks all.

>Matthew.

meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (06/04/91)

Ok. Since Claus is too polite to promote his own software.

If you can read German, be sure to get the book and the software.
It is definitely worth every pfennig. If you want a good
set of disk utilities, and you do know something about disks,
you might also get the book, just for the software.
I think the software is very, very good. You won't really need
the book to use the software, but it explains several things
in some more detail. A good buy for around $ 50,-- (if you
can find it of course).
And you fathers out there. Remember that it is almost fathers day!

By the way: I'm by no means connected to Claus or the book publisher.
I'm just a very very satisfied customer.

--
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@prl.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology

mbaker@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Matthew Baker) (06/05/91)

From article <meulenbr.676019481@cstw163>, by meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks):
> Ok. Since Claus is too polite to promote his own software.

A true net.gentleman!

> If you can read German, be sure to get the book and the software.
> It is definitely worth every pfennig. If you want a good
> set of disk utilities, and you do know something about disks,
> you might also get the book, just for the software.

This sounds great - Here in Oz I have nowhere to get it (I can read German
like a martian can kiss, not well, but I grok it.) - any o/seas addresses
I can write to? (Claus?)

> I think the software is very, very good. You won't really need
> the book to use the software, but it explains several things
> in some more detail. A good buy for around $ 50,-- (if you
> can find it of course).

Dare I ask, does he use english in his s/w?? :)

> Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@prl.philips.nl)
> 	Centre for Software Technology

Frans, I notice (gasp) that you work for Philips... I have this thing
called a PTS-6000. If the name rings a bell, can you email me?? tnx.

Matthew