[comp.sys.atari.st] Spectrum 512

870646c@aucs.UUCP (11/01/87)

Well I just got Spectrum 512, this program is out of this world, how nice
to see all 512 colours on the screen at one time. Good bye Amiga!!! I also
just picked yp Cyber Control for CAD 3D 2.0, real nice. I heard  that someone
ported the jugular demo over from the "Amiba", if true can anyone direct me
in the proper direction of a copy.
Later
Barry

870646c@aucs.UUCP (11/02/87)

Well it has come time for me to upgrade to the Mega 2, I am forced to sell
off my presant ST. So here I go, included in the price are the following:
1-1040ST
1-SM125 monochrome monitor
1-SF314 double sided disk drive
All mouse, manuals, etc.
1-GST C compiler (Ver. 1.3, has been updated by Antic)
All the PD software you can handle
I don't have to sit here and tell you how good the ST is, you already know.
All the gear is in %100 perfect condition with all manuals, and boxes.
Before you ask "How old is it", I'll tell you. The 1040ST is about 5 months
old, the SF314 is about 2 months old, and the monitor is brand new, as for
the age of the software, it doesn't matter now does it. I would like to
receive about $1400.00 Canadian for the above items. Priced seperatly
they would cost around $2000.00 plus tax. Following are the local prices
for the item new:
1040ST-$1200.00
SM125 - $249.95
SF314 - $499.95
GST-C - $100.00
total -$2049.90   Canadian dollars.

So if you are interested, give me a shout here or by phone at:
1-902-542-2312.
later
Barry

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) (11/03/87)

What exactly is the Spectrum 512?  I haven't heard of it (have I been
sleeping at the 'n' key again?).   Thanks . . .
                                              Adam Engst

engst@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

PRINS@HLERUL5.BITNET (R. Prins - Network Mgr. [DEC Sites] RU Leiden) (11/04/87)

Spectrum 512 looks interesting, it seems to be PD, so can anyone send it to me?
Or even better, send it to one of the servers on bitnet (Houston or Canada).

                                                Greetings, R. Prins

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (11/04/87)

>...how nice to be able to see 512 colors on the screen at the same time.
>Good bye Amiga!
512 colors?   Evidently you haven't seen Digipaint.........
Hal

wheels@mks.UUCP (11/05/87)

In article <2794@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, engst@batcomputer.UUCP writes:
> What exactly is the Spectrum 512?  I haven't heard of it (have I been
> sleeping at the 'n' key again?).   Thanks . . .
>                                               Adam Engst

You don't know what you've been missing! It's (yet another) paint
program with a difference: by using a background interrupt routine to
reload the colour pallette once in a while, it will display 512
different colours on the screen at once (in low res).  Now, there are
limitations.  It actually reloads the pallette 3 times per scan line, I
think, giving 48 colours per line, with any 16 in each third of the
line.

There was a slide show program using this technique on most BBS's and
information services a while back. I've seen, but not used, the actual
paint program.
--
     ll  // // ,'/~~\' Gerry Wheeler {decvax,ihnp4}!watmath!mks!wheels
    /ll/// //l' `\\\   Mortice Kern Systems Inc.         (519) 884-2251

870646c@aucs.UUCP (11/05/87)

There seems to be some talk on the net about the program Spectrum 512. Let
me assure you that it is not public domain. This program is sold by Antic.
I know because I have it, so if someone asks you for it remind them of two
things:
1. It is not public domain.
2. If he pirites it, he is not just hurting the author of the prg. but all
   of us people that like to see new software hitting the market.

Think about it, look what happened to the 8-bit machine.
later
Barry

870646c@aucs.UUCP (comer) (11/06/87)

I have posted the Spectrum 512 slide program to the binary news section,
who knows how long it will take to get around(red tape).
later
Barry

exodus@uop.EDU (Freddy Kreuger) (11/08/87)

In article <539@aucs.UUCP>, 870646c@aucs.UUCP (comer) writes:
> There seems to be some talk on the net about the program Spectrum 512. Let
> me assure you that it is not public domain. This program is sold by Antic.
> I know because I have it, so if someone asks you for it remind them of two
> things:
> 1. It is not public domain.
> 2. If he pirites it, he is not just hurting the author of the prg. but all
>    of us people that like to see new software hitting the market.

Maybe a little tiny misunderstanding here...

The Spectrum 512 that most people refer to is the Spectrum 512 slideshow
which _is_ public domain.  It shows all of those fantastic colors too.

It is available on GEnie and Neil (Harris) has posted at least 15 nudes
which were digitized by someone else.  From what I have seen, feel free
to distribute the slideshow (but check first, it _is_ on GEnie).  Would
anybody be interested in the slideshow program and a few pictures on Usenet
to see what this puppy does?

The way they look at it, free advertising, eh?  ("See all the pretty
pictures?  You mean I can do that too?  Where can I buy the program?")

The Spectrum drawing program is _not_ public domain and is available
throught The [Antic] Catalog.

G. Onufer

--
Greg Onufer   		GEnie: G.ONUFER		University of the Pacific
UUCP:	 ...!ucbvax!\				**POSTMASTER @ UOP**

avgroeni@cs.ruu.nl (Annius Groenink) (01/24/91)

 Is there someone who can give me some information about
the way Spectrum pictures are showed? I know the file format,
but that's not enough to write my GIF-Spectrum 4096 converter.
I'd like to know what exactly is done with the 3 palettes
that go with each line.

 Annius Groenink
 De Mamuchetweg 5
 3732 AK De Bilt
 Netherlands
 avgroeni@praxis.cs.ruu.nl

lsmichae@informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Lars Michael (AKBP WS 1990)) (01/29/91)

avgroeni@cs.ruu.nl (Annius Groenink) writes:

> Is there someone who can give me some information about
>the way Spectrum pictures are showed? I know the file format,
>but that's not enough to write my GIF-Spectrum 4096 converter.
>I'd like to know what exactly is done with the 3 palettes
>that go with each line.
>
> Annius Groenink

Let`s have a lot a the umcompressed format:

<Spectrum umcompessed>		.SPU

	   80	Words	Scan line 0 is unused (color set to black)
	15920	Words	199 Scanlines
	 9552	Words	199 * 3 * 16 Colors
-------------------------
	25552   Words	=	51104 Bytes

Now we one scanline and the according 3 Palettes (16 Colors each):

Color  0 of Palette 0 is the border color and set to black.
Color  0 of Palette 1 is set to black.
Color  0 of Palette 2 is set to black.

Color 15 of Palette 0 is set to black.
Color 15 of Palette 1 is set to black.
Color 15 of Palette 2 is set to black.

The other colors (0 < c < 15) are useable from left_border to right_border
(inclusive):
(All values are x-koordinates of the lowrez screen.)

				left_border		right_border
Palette 0:
Color c = 2*n+1 (odd):		0			10*c - 6
Color c = 2*n (even):		0			10*c - 1

Palette 1:
Color c = 2*n+1 (odd):		10*c - 5		10*c + 160 - 6
Color c = 2*n (even):		10*c			10*c + 160 - 1

Palette 2:
Color c = 2*n+1 (odd):		10*c + 160 - 6		319
Color c = 2*n (even):		10*c + 160		319

E.g. Point number 147 in the scan line has color 5. From which palette does it
come from?
		c = 5 (odd)

Palette 0		Palette 1		Palette 2
0 .. 10*5-6 = 44	45 .. 204		205 .. 319

=> This is a color from palette 1.

BTW I would be interested in your gif shower. Please post it when ready.

"May the Schwartz be with you!"
									Lars

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (06/06/91)

Anyone who know how I can make my Spectrum 512 work on my MEGA STE
It dooesn't work on standard STE's either...

Who distributes Spectrum 512 these days ?
The old adress and fax-number to Electric distribution doesn't work :-(

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST
__________/ ______________________/   ____/   /   Klubben,  user association

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (06/06/91)

In article <CMM.0.90.2.676202856.larserio@kvart.ifi.uio.no> larserio@ifi.uio.no writes:
> Anyone who know how I can make my Spectrum 512 work on my MEGA STE
> It dooesn't work on standard STE's either...
>
> Who distributes Spectrum 512 these days ?
> The old adress and fax-number to Electric distribution doesn't work :-(
>
>  Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
>   Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST
> __________/ ______________________/   ____/   /   Klubben,  user association

Well you could try the firm that makes it, Trio Engineering,,
But I think that Spectrum was replaced with Unispec, now Unispec II,
if I remember,
It has the option to copy other sceens to Unispec (Sectrum), can run as
a ACC.
I would like to find out my self if they are still supporting the
Atari computers, ?.
--
***  Roger W. Sheppard        *    Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz  ***
***  85 Donovan Rd          *  *   At least I don't Flicker, not     ***