[comp.sys.atari.st] LOGO

moreno@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Andres Moreno) (08/08/89)

Does anybody know of a good LOGO for the Atari ST?  Atari LOGO is just
awful when compared with EXPERLOGO for the Mac. It is not only poor on
features but plain slow....an Apple //c could run things just as fast.

Thanks, Andres Moreno

david.megginson@canremote.uucp (DAVID MEGGINSON) (08/13/89)

LOGO is a play language for children.  Use MProlog for an adult
equivalent.  MProlog has Eagle graphics, which are 3-d rather than 2-d
like turtle graphics.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.0R

kgg@zinn.MV.COM (Kenn Goutal) (05/29/90)

When I got my ST, it came with a copy of ST Logo.
A friend of mine got his ST more recently than I,
and Logo did not come with his.
He has heard that the Logo that came with the ST was public domain.
Is this true?  If so, does anyone know where he can get it?
If not, is there another Logo available?
If so, does anyone know where he can get *that*?

-- Kenn Goutal

UUCP:	kenn@rr.MV.COM		(...decvax!zinn!rr!kenn)
  or:	kenn@zinn.MV.COM	(...decvax!zinn!kenn)
BIX:	kenn
CompuServe:	71117.2572	(PARTI handle == kenn)
TelePath:	kenn

|  Ship and Travel Intermodally -- Commute Electronically!  |

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (06/04/91)

Does any one know if its posible to get Ataries Logo to work with Tos 1.4/1.6
I do get a out of Memory when I try to load a Logo Program/File,
Note: The software does load up on a 1040 ST with Tos 1.4.
Are there any patches to make this work ?

--
***  Roger W. Sheppard        *    Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz  ***
***  85 Donovan Rd          *  *   At least I don't Flicker, not     ***

rgoseweh@digi.lonestar.org (Roy Gosewehr) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun04.054518.27602@actrix.gen.nz> Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) writes:
>Does any one know if its posible to get Ataries Logo to work with Tos 1.4/1.6
>I do get a out of Memory when I try to load a Logo Program/File,
>Note: The software does load up on a 1040 ST with Tos 1.4.
>Are there any patches to make this work?

I posted this question on GEnie about a year ago when I got TOS 1.4 put
in my 1040ST.  One of the ST wizards (one of the CodeHeads or one of the
Double-Click boys, I don't remember for sure) came up with the answer:

* Trick LOGO by loading a RAM disk first (such as SI_RAM which is an  *
* accessory), then load LOGO, then remove the RAM disk.  The memory is*
* freed up and LOGO will then successfully load/save programs & files.*

Apparently, LOGO under TOS 1.4 uses (or at least thinks that it uses)
all available memory when it loads. I haven't programmed in years but I
would think it would be a simple matter to patch LOGO to correct this.
(HINT, HINT to Atari.  Or better yet, why not release an updated version
of Logo to take advantage of the new machines? :-)

R.C.G.

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (06/05/91)

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) writes:

>Does any one know if its posible to get Ataries Logo to work with Tos 1.4/1.6
>I do get a out of Memory when I try to load a Logo Program/File,

It doesn't work either with TOS 1.2. This would seem to be why Atari removed it
from the ST language disk. It is possible to run LOGO.PRG and edit with it,
but it falls over itself soon after starting to run a LOGO program. I guess it
relies on internal GEM variables in TOS 1.0.

>Are there any patches to make this work ?

I am also interested in finding these.

--
Adam David
(adamd@rhi.hi.is)

jan@janhh.hanse.de (Jan Willamowius) (06/07/91)

Roger Sheppard asked:
>Does any one know if its posible to get Ataries Logo to work with Tos 1.4/1.6
>I do get a out of Memory when I try to load a Logo Program/File,
>Note: The software does load up on a 1040 ST with Tos 1.4.
>Are there any patches to make this work?

I just took a look at it and I guess I found the problem:

For some stupid reason LOGO tries repeatedly to allocate all
available memory until malloc(-1) returns zero. After that it
does it's Mfree().

To solve the problem you have to apply the following patch using
some kind of a disk utility.

The patch starts at offset $5C (relative to he beginning of the file).

original: $4eb9, $0001, $2fec, $4a40, $670c, $2f00, $4eb9, $0001, $2fba,
          $588f, $60ea

patched : $4a79, $0001, $2fec, $4e71, $4e71, $4e71, $4a79, $0001, $2fba,
          $4e71, $4e71

Maybe this is the rebirth of ST-LOGO... :-)

Happy hacking,
               Jan

--
Jan Willamowius, Nienredder 6, 2000 Hamburg 54, Germany
E-Mail: jan@janhh.hanse.de