[comp.sys.atari.st] Color monitor replacement?

dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) (06/06/91)

Well, my venerable 1986 Goldstar ST color monitor just became terminally
tired.  My dealer wants $230 for a new one.  Of course, I haven't been
paying attention: is this a fair price?  Any pointers to mail order?
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

lch3e@holmes.acc.Virginia.EDU (Lauren C. Howard) (06/06/91)

Definitely by all means and most assuredly buy the Magnavox 1CM135
monitor instead of the SC1224.  It has 97% as good a picture; but can
also work with IBM clones (CGA), AND has a VCR input jack, so can double
as a TV (thru the vcr); a very very GOOD tv (very high resolution).

It also has the sound running off a separate RCA jack.  This can be
routed to the stereo instead of the TV, greatly increasing the ST's
sound quality.

Costs about $300 (your dealer friend may be less) + a custom cable
(cable available from Redmond Cable, Redmond, WA.)
Good luck!

scale@abode.ttank.com (Luis Outumuro) (06/07/91)

	Hi David,
		$230 is a very fair price for a brand new monitor!  By all
means, get the new monitor.  Bye.............

					Luis

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.172835.1559@abode.ttank.com> scale@abode.ttank.com (Luis Outumuro) writes:
> 	Hi David,
> 		$230 is a very fair price for a brand new monitor!  By all
> means, get the new monitor.  Bye.............
>
> 					Luis

Well from what we have seen here in New Zealand that the New Atari
monitor is very pore, it has a dot pitch of 0.42 mm, and with a grey screen.

This is now what your are getting from some of the better TV's..

The First Atari monitor had a 0.38 mm dot pitch with a black screen,
the GoldStar has a 0.39 mm dot pitch, but not much of a black sceen.

There was anothere monitor that I have seen in USA Mags but not here,
this had a slanted on/off switch

I don't rate the new monitor at all, its a funny thing that the Amiga
monitor has had similar changes, its now a 0.42 mm dot pitch with a
grey screen.
--
***  Roger W. Sheppard        *    Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz  ***
***  85 Donovan Rd          *  *   At least I don't Flicker, not     ***