[comp.sys.atari.st] XOR

SYSPMZT@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (06/07/91)

I can't reply to Ralph Berg, who asked about programming for the Cazio CZ1
with XOR:

XOR is a generic patch editor that runs in Dr. T's KCS Multi-Programming
Environment (MPE).  It can also be run as a standalone program.  As I
understand it, XOR uses modules that describes the programming requirements
for a given synth, and then uses a generalized interface to allow that
programming.  Feedback from the synth category was very favorable to XOR
over other available packages. I like the idea of going to XOR since it        s
supports a lot of synths, some of which are not exactly popular models.        .

If you're not familiar with Dr. T's, they write a lot of midi software that
may not always have the greatest flexibility right off the bat, but are well
supported in upgrades, and are reasonably priced.  I've stayed with the KCS
through 4 upgrades now, and with Tiger and Level II, have an extremely
powerful sequencer environment that supports the functioning of many external
programs; last night I figured how to initiate other GEM programs from
within the KCS so that I don't have to reload my sequencer configuration
just to get to my all-important Daleks game...

Phil Z

whitcomb@aurs01.UUCP (Jonathan Whitcomb) (06/07/91)

In article <91157.145650SYSPMZT@GECRDVM1.BITNET> SYSPMZT@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com writes:
>I can't reply to Ralph Berg, who asked about programming for the Cazio CZ1
>with XOR:
>
>XOR is a generic patch editor that runs in Dr. T's KCS Multi-Programming
>Environment (MPE).  It can also be run as a standalone program.  As I
>understand it, XOR uses modules that describes the programming requirements
>for a given synth, and then uses a generalized interface to allow that
>programming.

I wouldn't call X-or a "generic" patch editor, because that would
imply that it works for all instruments the same way.  Rather, it
is a universal patch editor/librarian which can be used on any MIDI
instrument that has an X-or "profile" written for it.  The profile
translates system exclusive messages into parameters that the user
may manipulate directly with sliders, text boxes and envelope windows
on X-or's screen.  A program called E-or is included with X-or to
allow you to write your own profiles or customize existing ones to
your needs.  If you've ever tried working with a patch editor and
wished you could change the screen layout so that all of your most
often used controllers were in the same area on the screen, this is
for you.

Moreover, X-or lets you connect all of your synthesizers together and
manage them as if they were a single instrument.

The best way to describe X-or is as a total system used to control
and manage MIDI system exclusive data, whether your MIDI machine
is a synth, sampler, effects device, switcher, mixer, preamp or
tape recorder.  Any parameter that may be accessed by MIDI can be
controlled by X-or, even if that parameter is unique to your machine.

>Feedback from the synth category was very favorable to XOR
>over other available packages. I like the idea of going to XOR since it
>supports a lot of synths, some of which are not exactly popular models.

Yah, is good.  I especially like the fact that I can hack out new
profiles myself, instead of waiting for someone else to do it.

E-mail me if you'd like a copy of the X-or review I posted here a few
months back.

Oh, and Dr.T's on-line support has moved to GEnie.  It gives you
access to the wizards, as well as the latest profiles written by
Dr.T's and users.

Jonathan Whitcomb                    UUCP: <whitcomb%aurgate@mcnc.org>
Alcatel Network Systems, Raleigh, NC                    Delphi: JBWHIT