[comp.sys.atari.st] Chaos Strikes Back

dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) (12/18/89)

Well, after a few days of intensive playing I think I've noticed a few bugs.

Crash - while going down a flight of stairs, the game crashed with two
	bombs.

Glitch - after a save, there appeared ~8 squares of multi-colored badness
	 indicators across the name, sleep and disk buttons. They cleared
	 up and normal play resumed after switching screens.

Oddness - Fireballs stopped working. This has happened to me twice. Both
	  times it was while entering the room with the spider critters.
	  I cast a fireball, it appears on the screen in front of me,
	  it disappears, a few seconds later the sound comes but no monster
	  appears to be affected and no visual effects. You can enter this
	  room from the room with the humanoid-blue-insect-people. However,
	  fireballs only seem to break when you enter the room from the
	  opposite direction.

Any confirmation on these?

Jon

dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) (12/18/89)

In article <10354@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> I write:
>Oddness - Fireballs stopped working. This has happened to me twice. Both

I found out the problem a bit more specifically. If you have just went
up a flight of stairs and are standing in the staircase of the next level,
you can not shoot a fireball properly. Feature or bug?

BTW, is anyone from FTL listening? How do I get in touch with them to
send in bug/oddness reports?

Jon Brode  --  dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu

canada@crash.cts.com (Diane Barlow Close) (12/19/89)

In article <10355@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) writes:
>BTW, is anyone from FTL listening? How do I get in touch with them to
>send in bug/oddness reports?

While it isn't strictly the same thing, I'm collecting CHAOS bug reports
and reporting them to FTL (who is here in San Diego).  Why?  My husband was
one of the play testers and spent many, many hours playing CHAOS and
tracking down bugs.  We are both interested in seeing the kinds of things
that play testers miss (perhaps it is due to just using *local* play
testers, rather than a broader spectrum of people?).  If you want to call
FTL yourself, report all bugs to ``Debbie'' at (619) 453-5711.  Or write
FTL c/o Software Heaven, 6160 Lusk Blvd., San Diego ,CA (forgotten the zip,
sorry).

--
Diane Barlow Close
      {nosc, ucsd}!crash!canada

paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) (12/19/89)

In article <10354@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) writes:
>Well, after a few days of intensive playing I think I've noticed a few bugs.
>
>Crash - while going down a flight of stairs, the game crashed with two
>	bombs.
>
>Glitch - after a save, there appeared ~8 squares of multi-colored badness
>	 indicators across the name, sleep and disk buttons. They cleared
>	 up and normal play resumed after switching screens.

These are bugs, all right.  As one of the playtesters, I can tell you that FTL
is very careful and particular about *any* odd behaviour, let alone blatant
bugs like these.  You should report this to them.  Make sure and mention your
machine type, TOS release, and and hardware mods.  I've never seen either of
these....

>Oddness - Fireballs stopped working. This has happened to me twice. Both
>	  times it was while entering the room with the spider critters.
>	  I cast a fireball, it appears on the screen in front of me,
>	  it disappears, a few seconds later the sound comes but no monster
>	  appears to be affected and no visual effects. You can enter this
>	  room from the room with the humanoid-blue-insect-people. However,
>	  fireballs only seem to break when you enter the room from the
>	  opposite direction.

That's not a bug, it's a feature.  Ask the oracle....  This is the KU
(fighter) path.  You didn't think you could use magic to conquer the fighter
path, did you? :-)  Fireballs don't work here, and on the level above with the
insects, they aren't effective near you.  They are also dangerous in the "No
Fireballs" section a few levels down.

This is a great game!  As a playtester, I've logged close to a hundred hours
so far, and have only completed 1/4 of the game!  Good luck in the maze (heh,
heh :-).  I've been all the way through the KU path, and part way through the
others, so if anyone needs some help (that the oracle doesn't help with), feel
free to ask.
--
Paul Close	paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, ucsd, crash}!cacilj!paul

    The Obi-wan Kenobi method:  "Use the Source, Luke"	-Jim Fulton

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (12/20/89)

In article <926@crash.cts.com> canada@crash.cts.com (Diane Barlow Close) writes:
>In article <10355@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) writes:
>>BTW, is anyone from FTL listening? How do I get in touch with them to
>>send in bug/oddness reports?
>
>While it isn't strictly the same thing, I'm collecting CHAOS bug reports
>and reporting them to FTL (who is here in San Diego).  Why?  My husband was
>one of the play testers and spent many, many hours playing CHAOS and
>tracking down bugs.  We are both interested in seeing the kinds of things
>that play testers miss (perhaps it is due to just using *local* play
>testers, rather than a broader spectrum of people?).  If you want to call
>FTL yourself, report all bugs to ``Debbie'' at (619) 453-5711.  Or write
>FTL c/o Software Heaven, 6160 Lusk Blvd., San Diego ,CA (forgotten the zip,
>sorry).

I'm not connected with FTL in anyway; heck, I don't even own Chaos yet.
Just a gentle reminder, for sake of the good people at FTL, to please be
specific as possible.  I know if _I_ were at FTL, one of the following
hypothetical bugs would be ignored (exercise for the reader to guess which):

    "I played Chaos for 36 straight hours and then it crashed."

    "Thrown weapons don't work properly if you've just used stairs,
     and are still standing on the 'landing' when you throw.  First
     noticed it on the 2nd level, and it is repeatable."

(Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence, but I know from experience that
even intelligent people sometimes send in the most incredibly obtuse & useless
descriptions of their software problems.  Better too much verbage than too
little, in this case.)
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo System Division of H.P.

dhawk@well.UUCP (David Hawkins) (12/21/89)

paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:

>These are bugs, all right.  As one of the playtesters, I can tell you that FTL
>is very careful and particular about *any* odd behaviour, let alone blatant
>bugs like these.  You should report this to them.  Make sure and mention your
>machine type, TOS release, and and hardware mods.  I've never seen either of
>these....

I'm so lost that I don't know where this is, but there's a place
before the room with the ax and four knights.  Out in the hallway
right before that are two small wizards and three red cross buttons
(which I never did figure out in DM, by the way).  I killed a knight
out there and when I threw its armor down the hall way the screen
showed the piece of armor PLUS a sword each time.  BUG.
I've got an Atari 1040 ST with a DeskCart cartridge with the orignal
TOS release.  Nothing else fancy about it.

>This is a great game!  As a playtester, I've logged close to a hundred hours
>so far, and have only completed 1/4 of the game!  Good luck in the maze (heh,
>heh :-).  I've been all the way through the KU path, and part way through the
>others, so if anyone needs some help (that the oracle doesn't help with), feel
>free to ask.

Where do I get water?  I'm fighting a dragon and my team's about to
die for lack of water.  (I knocked off two worms down there.)

later, david
David Hawkins - dhawk@well.sf.ca.us - {apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!dhawk
There are two insults no human being will endure: that he has no sense of
humor, and that he has never known trouble.  -- Sinclair Lewis, "Main Street"

news@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU (Michael Murphy) (12/22/89)

worked with TOS 1.4.  Well, to answer the question, it works just fine.  In
fact, I haven't really had any problem with anything NOT working with the
new tos, except for a few really old games.  The DM2, of course, works
just fine with the new tos!

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu
From: cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Christopher Roth)

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Christopher Roth) (12/25/89)

Hello World.

A question about Chaos Strikes Back.  I was under the impression that
you were to get a piece of that metal (corbite, was that how it was
spelled?) from each section of the dungeon (figher, ninja, wizard,
priest).  Now, I am in the fighter level and I think I've covered
everthing except for this one locked door that the hints insist is
opened by this opal key.  I can find no key hole. NONE!  I am going
nutso trying to figure it out.  To give you a point of reference, this
is just after that room with all those little guys in it that look
like dwarves or something out of Star Wars.

As a side note, partially concerning this Genie thing, I am sure while
there are a lot of people complaining about uplink, we all realize
how valuable David Small is to the ST community.  Three Cheers.

*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no
*     InterNet  :  cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu      *   Conscience..."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Post No Bills-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

johnb@pnet01.cts.com (John Bunch) (12/26/89)

I got Chaos strikes back.  I want to make a backup of it as I do with
all my software and it took a lot of work.  I was finally able to do it
with the Discovery Cartridge and flux spacing.   Well enough of that, the
game itself is incredible..  I like it alot, although it is a lot harder
then DM is..  I haven't finished DM yet, so I think I will before I start
playing Chaos Strikes Back fulltime.. ;-)

John.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!johnb
ARPA: crash!pnet01!johnb@nosc.mil
INET: johnb@pnet01.cts.com

nims@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Nims) (12/30/89)

Could someone be knid enough to let me know where I can buy Dungeon Master II?

Thanks,

Chris Nims

nims@accuvax.nwu.edu

pwp@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Paul Purdom) (12/31/89)

Does anyone have some information about bridges in Chaos Strikes Back.
I am at the place where you are suppose to make a bridge and the hints have
not been very helpful.

badman@sweep.enet.dec.com (01/05/90)

I've just started playing Chaos and I've been very dissapointed by a bug
I've come across
which causes the game to crash out with two bombs.

It's caused if you walk past the wall with the words "Give up - pull the
lever" then take a right and
try to climb down a rope into the pit on your left. The game just crashes !!!

You have been warned ...

				Jamie.

In article <86.2619bc27@uoft02.utoledo.edu> cse0071@uoft02.utoledo.edu writes:

>	I was curious if anyone has ever messed with the save game file for
>Chaos Strikes Back (.CSB), I know it is somehow compressed but I am not sure
>how.
>	I would like to get into my characters attributes and boost them
>somewhat, I don't generally subscribe to cheating but my time to play the game
>is very short and not having to keep creating and drinking strength potions
>would leave more time for the game.
>					------John
>					   CSE0071
>					UOFT02.UTOLEDO.EDU,  131.183.1.4

They're not compressed, they're encrypted. The end result for you or me is the
same - you can't make sense of the data as it sits on the disk. I spent a few
hours with the crypt breakers workbench trying to make sense of the files, but
finally gave up. But I've got a wonderfully reliable way of cheating, still.
The data is decrypted in memory, all you need is the appropriate interrupt
generator and handler, to doctor up your attributes on demand. I worked it all
out using Alpha Systems' SwitchBack. (A marvelously Utile Utility...  }-).
You need at least 2 meg of memory to use Switchback on Dungeon Master or CSB,
1 to run in and 1 for alternate work. (a debugger, in my case.) I don't remember
the offsets right now, but I could pretty easily whip up some code to set all
your stats to maximums. (I haven't looked at experience or spellcasting yet,
just stats & attributes. food & water is probably a problem still as well.)

It's kind of fun, walking down to level 14 and casting about 100 fireballs in
30 seconds. Dragon steaks, anyone? However, I also discovered that maxed out
characters aren't invincible. Lord Chaos can still toast a party in 4 shots
if you're stupid enough to let him. (Like I was, while playing around......)

Actually, I guess this method doesn't work unless you have switchback. You can't
preserve the exception vectors across a warmboot...
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

pwp@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Paul Purdom) (06/08/91)

Does anyone have maps for Chaos Stikes Back that they are willing to mail me?

lsmichae@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Lars Michael) (06/09/91)

pwp@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Paul Purdom) writes:

>Does anyone have maps for Chaos Stikes Back that they are willing to mail me?

I don't know if you can ftp, but at atari.archive.umich.edu is
lots of help stuff for CSB.

---

								Lars

|     lsmichae@faui43.uni-erlangen.de    |    | | |                         |
|             Lars Michael               |    | | |   "Down with ATARI,     |
|  Graduate Student of Computer Science  |   /  |  \  Long live the ST !"   |
|    at University of Erlangen/Germany   |  /   |   \                       |
|  "May the Schwartz be with you!"                                          |