[comp.sys.atari.st] lharc

f-leoe@IFI.UIO.NO (Lars-Erik 0sterud) (07/01/89)

Does anyone know of a public domain version of LHARC (LHZ) for Atari ST ?
If so, can you post it to comp.binaries

  Lars-Erik 0sterud   /   Summer & Christmas:   /
   leoe@ifi.uio.no   /     f-leoe@ifi.uio.no   /
____________________/  _______________________/

george_seto@brains.UUCP (George Seto) (09/23/89)

 Re: lharc:

  Those problems are what kept me from using it. There is a new program
called LZH.TTP, which comes with LZHSHELL and works fine. Check that out.

  To NEWSTV1@CARLETON.CA @CU.CP6
  Re: PC Ditto II

   See the section following.

  To Joachim Vance @ paris.ics.uci.edu AND Clifford M Stein @
jarthur.Claremont.E
  Re: ParSec

  See following

 89Sep23 10:25 am from George Seto @ Lair (Nova Scotia Atari Computer Users)
  Got the new ST mags from Britain yesterday.

   1 - Atari UK reports there is a problem with the HDX software version 3.
Problem is most likely to happen when using TOS 1.4. The problem occurs in
the AHDI.PRG. Bug shows up during *_SOME_* write operations. According to
HiSoft's Andy Pennell " There is a problem with a pointer stored in register
A1, in the low level driver. Under certain circumstances, when writing to an
odd  address, it will write zeros or garbage, instead of your data". One way
of  telling which you are using is look at the size of AHDI. The buggy AHDI
is  7875 bytes, and the corrected one is 7936 bytes.

   2 - All three mentioned the new Parsec Graphics Engine for the Atari ST.
Two of them had full Previews of this new Elmtech "peripheral" for the ST.
The board is based on the TMS34010 graphics chipset from Texas Instruments.
The chip uses a 50MHz clock and the first board is for the ST, versions for
other computers are being worked on. The ParSec 4768 will offer 4096 colours
at the same time and a screen resolution of up to 1024x768 pixels. Speed?
Well how about shifting 12.5 million pixels PER SECOND. This board will
support 4 independent colour planes, and have sockets for scanners,
digitizers, cameras and video. Price is 918 British Pounds.

   3 - There was an article which showed the ST in use in a Glasgow hospital
being used by anaesthetists and hooked up with various instruments to
patients. Such situations really need dependable machines for that stage as
well as research, and they feel they found it with the Atari ST.

   4 - Review of a new Word Processor, That's Write. This seems that it will
rival Word Perfect, and include Wordstar keyboard commands. The program
incorporates IMG graphics, use of up to 5 columns and GEM fonts
*___WITHOUT__* GDOS. A Fonts designer comes with it, and 140 fonts comes
standard. It will also generate an Index and a Table of Contents if directed.

   5 - A demo was supplied on the ST Format mag's disk called That's Fun
Face.  Do you remember the stories of the Police doing a workup of a perp's
face  using an Indentikit? Well the That's Fun Face demo is part of a package
being  worked on for the police forces in Europe. It allows someone to
"design" a  face on screen. The demo doesn't allow for saves, but it seems
interesting  anyway.

   6 - Ads for Cavendish Distributors touting a new product. An MS-DOS
Hardware Emulator, PC Speed. It supports mono and colour monitors, and allows
use of the standard peripherals, mouse, Floppy, Hard Drive and printers.
Supports IBM monochrome, CGA and Hercules Graphics Emulator. Only problem is
that it is 379 British Pounds. They say there are Trade and Educational
Discounts available. Anyone want to import this into North America?

   That's most of the interesting things.
  Message also presented on STadel-Net in Atari ST
  These bit and pieces are culled from ST Format #2, ST World #42, and Atari
ST User Volume 4 #7.
--
   -===------===-    From George Seto at Cerebral Cortex BBS System
  -==-==----==-==-   (902)462-7245 3/12/2400 8N1 24h/7d

econadm5@watserv1.waterloo.edu (BENTLEY BH - ECONOMICS) (01/01/90)

>>Well it seems that the LHARC is going to take over the atari archiving
>>world.
>
>Don't jump to conclusions Paul.  This does not seem too likely to me.
>I tried that program on a file that was posted a couple of months ago.
>It was a disaster.
>
>--
 LHarc is the only compression to use are is passe and zoo is old. LHARC
 is faster now compresses 3 times more than arc and has its own dearcing
 or self dearcing file programs. Many BBS's use verbose lzh listings
 now.

 Dave. T.
 SUPER BBS (519) 749-1206 24HRS
 "Never Say Never"

terry@tcville.HAC.COM (Robert Terry) (05/01/90)

Does anyone could email me a doc/manual on how to use lharc?
I am having trouble trying to get lharc to work. I downloaded several
versions of lharc from terminator (binary mode). Also got a couple from
the comp.binaries.atari.st. Had no luck with any of these versions.
I have a Mega 2 and TOS 1.4.  Please reply!

Many thanks!

Robert

email to: terry@tcville.hac.com

--
Hughes Aircraft Company         ======= Please Use This Email Address ======
Software Applications Section   >>>>>>>>>  terry@tcville.hac.com   <<<<<<<<<

klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (05/03/90)

In article <352@tcville.HAC.COM>, terry@tcville.HAC.COM (Robert Terry) writes:
|>Does anyone could email me a doc/manual on how to use lharc?

If you are able to read Kanji, yes, there is one available somewhere. If
not you have to guess and try :-(.

  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500         |)|/    ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50        |\|\    Tel.: +49 231 755-4663

bli@castor.usc.edu (Binary Logics) (05/30/90)

>In article <265954d1.642c@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> sslee@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steven Lee) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know the sources to LHARC or better yet information on how
>>the compression scheme works?

The sources for a unix lharc is available on xanth.cs.odu.edu,
and it is compatible to the amiga lharc. I am not familiar with ST
Lharc, sorry.

Anyway, you can get the file lzhuf.c from that archive, which contains
the compression method (compatible with all lharc implementations.)
It is compilable by itself on unix using GCC, and it creates a
stand-alone compressor, like COMPRESS(1).

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (06/14/90)

LHARC v 1.13 that was posted in comp.sources.atari.st came with
English documentation.

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (01/02/91)

I just recovered the above!  As it turns out the following entry:

rwxr-xr-x   1/1         0       0 ****** 0000 Nov 12 19:11 1990 gemfstfx//

causes lharc on our Unix box to create the directory when only testing
the archive.  Is this another lharc bug?

Thanks in advance.  And watch out to which newsgroup you might want to
follow up to...

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.
ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!laas!ralph
If all else fails, try:				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU
Reliable software should kill people reliably! -Andy Mickel, Pascal News #13,78

tech002@.ucsc.edu (10020002) (02/05/91)

It seems that nearly all of the files at the terminator ftp site now are
compressed with the .lzh extension.  I think that is fine because I have no
problem downloading shorter files but I do have one problem:  I cannot find
a lharc program for UNIX so now I cannot see what it is I am downloading
before I download it like I could when they were ARC files.  Does anyone
know where or how to get a LHARC program that will run under UNIX so that
I can read the README files and not waste too much time?  I would appreciate
any help on this matter.

         Roman Baker
         University of California, Santa Cruz

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (02/10/91)

In article <11888@darkstar.ucsc.edu> tech002@.ucsc.edu (10020002) writes:

 >  I cannot find an LHARC program for UNIX
 >  [ I want to ] see what it is I am downloading
 >  before I download it ...

There must be at least two versions...

(1) There is the version done by Bill Shroka.  He prepared
compatible versions for the Atari and for Unix.  His address is

		uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!bjsjr

My understanding is that he did this with the support of J. Bammi
while he (Bammi) was still at CWRU.

(2) The software support folks at the Univ of Waterloo seem to have
found one somewhere.  Maybe there is a unix sources group to look at.

(3) Howard Chu announced recently that he is working on a version
of lharc.  I guess this means that he also has source.  Whether or not
it is taylored to unix is another question.

My biggest complaint right now is that there are several slightly
incompatible versions of LHARC.  I would like to see a shakeout
so that I would not have to keep several different versions around.

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (02/10/91)

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:

- My biggest complaint right now is that there are several slightly
- incompatible versions of LHARC.  I would like to see a shakeout
- so that I would not have to keep several different versions around.

I don't understand the problem.  I use DC Xtract 2.0 from Double
Click and it extracts everything.  Before I had that, I used UNLZH
1.72 and that extracts everything.  To compress, I use DC Xtract and
I used LHARC 0.60 before that.  I don't understand why people must
have different versions to extract.  I go through as much compressed
software as the next guy -- if not more since I'm a sysop -- and I
only use one version.

If you're referring to the Unix version, then I guess that's a
different story, since I don't use it much.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

hvaalde@cs.vu.nl (Aalderen van Harold) (02/11/91)

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

>ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:

>- My biggest complaint right now is that there are several slightly
>- incompatible versions of LHARC.  I would like to see a shakeout
>- so that I would not have to keep several different versions around.
>
>I don't understand the problem.

I do. I have about 8 different versions of LHARC they do not all use the same
letter for the same options. Some do not unpack lhz files with path names, some
do but not correctly. Some unpack in the current directory some unpack in de
root or lzh directory. Some understand UNIX style pathnames some don't

So the problem seems to be real to me!

May in a few days I will send a full list of incompatiblitys if I have time
to test all my version properly.

Harold van Aalderen (hvaalde@cs.vu.nl)

uza@hexagon.se (Ulf Axelsson) (02/11/91)

>In article <11888@darkstar.ucsc.edu> tech002@.ucsc.edu (10020002) writes:
>
> >  I cannot find an LHARC program for UNIX
> >  [ I want to ] see what it is I am downloading
> >  before I download it ...

I know that a version of lharc (for unix) exists at garbo.uwasa.fi (anon ftp),
and to me it seemed to be quite easy to port to any system. As far as I know
this program was made by a friend to the original author and should be
compatible with the (standard) msdos version .
| Ulf Axelsson                    |                                         |
| E-Mail: uza@hexagon.se          |     ...!sunic!kullmar!pkmab!hexagon!uza |

warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (02/12/91)

>In article <11888@darkstar.ucsc.edu> tech002@.ucsc.edu (10020002) writes:
>
> >  I cannot find an LHARC program for UNIX
> >  [ I want to ] see what it is I am downloading
> >  before I download it ...

Look in: comp.sources.misc/volume 11, on uunet.uu.net

Warwick.
--
   _  |\	warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au
  / `-' *  <--	Computer Science Department,

In article <1991Feb10.011232.25195@watmath.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:
>In article <11888@darkstar.ucsc.edu> tech002@.ucsc.edu (10020002) writes:
> >  I cannot find an LHARC program for UNIX
> >  [ I want to ] see what it is I am downloading
> >  before I download it ...

>There must be at least two versions...
>
>(3) Howard Chu announced recently that he is working on a version
>of lharc.  I guess this means that he also has source.  Whether or not
>it is taylored to unix is another question.

Gosh, that was quite a long time ago; I got Jwahar Bammi's version in the
interim and use that exclusively now. The source is available on atari.archive
in the gnustuff/tos directory. The source is usable on both Unix and TOS.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Flame all you want - we'll take more.

Thomas_Quester@hh.maus.de (Thomas Quester) (06/04/91)

Es>I just pulled a couple of versions of lharc off of the archive at umich,
Es>but I have been having a hard time getting it to work on all files.  I
Es>keep either running into CRC errors, or I just get "no file" when I try
Es>to extract an archive that I have downloaded.  I have run into this
Es>with files that have been created on the systems here at OU as well as
Es>from abroad.

It looks like LZH 1.13.xx with xx < 20.

Es>What is the best version of lharc, and where can I find it?  And what may
Es>be causing these things to have such a hard time?

If you send me a disk and the stamps you'll receive the LZH 1.13.21 or
a newer version. The bugs you described are fixed at 1.13.20.
If you have problems getting german stamps, you may send me the money
for it.

Wer in der wirklichen Welt arbeiten kann und in der idealen leben, der hat das
(Net)

Thomas_Quester@hh.maus.de (Thomas Quester) (06/04/91)

RJ>  That's happening because there is an unfortunate "double-standard"
RJ>(forgive the pun) with LHARC - i.e. two standards exist.  My best advice
RJ>is for you to get LHARC060 (Jon Webb & Bart Van Herk) and
RJ>LZH11319 (Haruyashu Yoshizaki) - if one doesn't work I can about 99%
RJ>guarantee you the other one will.

I have fixed that problem in LZH 1.13.20

P.S. does anyone know how to contact Haruyashu Yoshizaki?

Alle vier Jahre ist ein Maikaeferjahr und alle vier Jahre ein Schaltjahr.
(Net)

Thomas_Quester@hh.maus.de (Thomas Quester) (06/05/91)

TJ>I find that the newer versions of lharc don't seem to be compatable with the
TJ>unix lharc...   the version I use is very slow, its like v1.1 or something l
TJ>that (i think it says its based on v1.13c or something) anyways, try an old
TJ>it will probablly work for you (and be horribly slow, but thats another stor
TJ>Tad

With LHarc you have to specify the version-number, because we have many
different versions and some authors working on their own versions.
"The newer version" means nothing but "any version".

MauTau V 2.2c - Tanz ist der senkrechte Ausdruck eines horizontalen Verlangens.
(Net)

swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu ( EVENSONG) (06/07/91)

Thomas_Quester@hh.maus.de (Thomas Quester) writes:

>I have fixed that problem in LZH 1.13.20

>Alle vier Jahre ist ein Maikaeferjahr und alle vier Jahre ein Schaltjahr.
>(Net)

Why doesn't someone send a copy to atari.archive.umich.edu?  Or send me
a copy at swood@terminator.cc.umich.edu and I will see that it is sent to
the proper location.

swood

--
 ---- Insert favorite .signature here ----	| swood@argo.acs.oakland.edu
						| swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Bitnet:		swood@Oakland			| swood@unix.secs.oakland.edu
  UUCP:		...!uunet!umich!{vela, argo, unix, nucleus}!swood

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (06/07/91)

In article <4170@hh.maus.de> Thomas_Quester@hh.maus.de (Thomas Quester) writes:
>If you send me a disk and the stamps you'll receive the LZH 1.13.21 or
>a newer version. The bugs you described are fixed at 1.13.20.

months ago i started a debate on the (current) weakness of lharc. since
then, it seems nothing has changed: MANY people still have compatibility
problems (at least 10 articles complaining in the last month). and still
we bicker over pennies (i can get bulk DSDD disks for $0.39US each).

and now we have yet another potentially incompatible version, with a
new version numbering scheme. why can't you guys who write these
versions get together and decide on a standard already? i say "potentially"
incompatible because i have not used it nor read its docs. but where
lharc is concerned, it is safe to expect the worst :-(. and the terminator
guys and steve grimm should be on that "committee", too, so we at least
try for compatibility (already). sheesh...

oh well...

-bill
rosenkra@convex.com
(i NEVER use lharc :-)

BTW: i am pleased to see compressed tar files appearing :-). hint, hint...
the .taz file is the wave of the future! now if only GEMDOS could support
file.tar.Z naming...
--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun06.184148.17672@convex.com> rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:
> In article <4170@hh.maus.de> Thomas_Quester@hh.maus.de (Thomas Quester) writes:
> >If you send me a disk and the stamps you'll receive the LZH 1.13.21 or
> >a newer version. The bugs you described are fixed at 1.13.20.
>
> months ago i started a debate on the (current) weakness of lharc. since
> then, it seems nothing has changed: MANY people still have compatibility
> problems (at least 10 articles complaining in the last month). and still
> we bicker over pennies (i can get bulk DSDD disks for $0.39US each).
>
> and now we have yet another potentially incompatible version, with a
> new version numbering scheme. why can't you guys who write these
> versions get together and decide on a standard already? i say "potentially"
> incompatible because i have not used it nor read its docs. but where
> lharc is concerned, it is safe to expect the worst :-(. and the terminator
> guys and steve grimm should be on that "committee", too, so we at least
> try for compatibility (already). sheesh...
>
> oh well...
>
> -bill
> rosenkra@convex.com
> (i NEVER use lharc :-)
>
> BTW: i am pleased to see compressed tar files appearing :-). hint, hint...
> the .taz file is the wave of the future! now if only GEMDOS could support
> file.tar.Z naming...
> --
> Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
> Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

Before you rave/rant about some one elses product, you could have at
least tried or tested it out, at least this chap is trying to make
a better LZH, and fixes those compatiblity problems that you are on about,
and did you know that its the fastes LZH to date.

Also note, Arcshell C.F.Johnson (Little Green Footballs) now has
support for it, he has not so far supported the other lzh programs
that you are on about..

So why not give it a try, and then eat your words..
--
***  Roger W. Sheppard        *    Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz  ***
***  85 Donovan Rd          *  *   At least I don't Flicker, not     ***

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun07.124726.19582@actrix.gen.nz> Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) writes:
>So why not give it a try, and then eat your words..

you missed my point entirely...

it does NOT matter how good any particular lharc is. this new one may be
the greatest thing since sliced bread. the problem is there are at least
3 widely used existing version (more like 4 or 5, i suspect) which ARE
INCOMPATIBLE. and there are .lzh file created by one which CAN'T BE UNPACKED
BY ANOTHER. THIS is the problem. even archive maintainers (i have heard
from one so far) finally see this as a real problem. there is NO STANDARD
FILE FORMAT.

and there is no consistent unix/VMS/whatever source available from a
single focal point. this is a hacker's tool now. it is NOT a reliable
distribution mechanism for information dissemination like arc, zoo, tar,
or whatever. i really don't care if it compresses a 5 MB file to 10 bytes
in 5 nanoseconds if i (or MANY PEOPLE) can't unpack it.

no need to eat my words until ALL .lzh files everywhere are converted to
this new "hot setup". do you see my point now? if this lharc will 100%
guarantee that it will unpack ANY file, i will eat my words. also, i
don't want to have to get it by disk. it should be posted, source and all.
it's not the $$$ involved, it is the standards issue which i rant/rave
about. i would pay $100 for it if it could fill the bill as i described
AND more importantly, if we collectively adopted it as THE ONE AND ONLY
LHARC IN EXISTENCE...

-bill
rosenkra@convex.com
--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

ue@nathan.ruhr.de (Udo Erdelhoff) (06/09/91)

In <1991Jun07.185957.19357@convex.com>, William Rosencranz writes:

Hi there,
>no need to eat my words until ALL .lzh files everywhere are converted to
>this new "hot setup". do you see my point now?
get a copy of LHarc 1.1321 and start eating...
/s/

--
Udo Erdelhoff                               smart: ue@nathan.ruhr.de
Am Westheck 170                             Fido:  Udo Erdelhoff on 2:245/52.1